Gobbler Season

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Gobbler Season

Postby spreademandshootem » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 am

Whose planning on getting out? Anyone on the south shore?
spreademandshootem
hunter

Re: Gobbler Season

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 pm

heck yeah im getting out...cant wait. opening day is lining up to be my first real day off in months. wont be hunting the south shore, though. i wish i could get involved with the youth hunt this year but too many obligations getting in the way.

good luck to everybody getting out. be safe and let's see some photos!
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm gonna try to get out. Have not hammered down a spot yet. I may have a spot real close to home. If I could herd up all the Tom's I see in Duxbury into a huntable spot I'd be golden. The boys are in full regalia and struttin' their stuff.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Saw a nice BMW hunting one on 3 south yesterday right by the pembroke exit. Did some serious damage windshield and front quater panel were junk.

How do you guys cook these up? Fry em?
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 am

i have definitely been noticing a lot of bearded birds on the move lately, and also a lot more road killed birds. turkey love is in the air, for sure.

ive cooked them a lot of different ways. my favorite way is to simply slice the breast meat thin, batter and fry and make sandwiches. also made some broccoli/turkey/cheese croquettes that turned out great. i use the thighs for soup and i save the drums to use as crabbing baits for the end of may. oh and you cant go wrong cooking up the heart and livers along with some onions. good stuff. cant wait. :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Plenty of birds in the area I hunt. #1 problem, pulling the Toms away from the 1,000,000 hens that are there too. It'll still be fun trying.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:40 pm

cape-shot wrote:Plenty of birds in the area I hunt. #1 problem, pulling the Toms away from the 1,000,000 hens that are there too. It'll still be fun trying.

that's a tough problem but with so many hens you know there are shootable birds nearby. pretty much impossible to pull a tom away from hens. better to try to challenge the hens or wait them out until they go off to nest then bat cleanup. if it doesnt happen early i like to wait them out. by 10 or so it always seems the hens go off on their own and leave the toms and then they will come in.

man, i cant wait until monday. i havent had time to scout much due to a huge assignment and finishing up a degree. the plan is to have all my work done before the weekend and scout them out on sunday morning. placing my ground blind midweek to get them accustomed.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:58 pm

any reports from yesterday's youth hunt?

good luck to all those getting out tomorrow. i didnt think i was gonna be able to get out, until the email i got an hour ago from my supervisor saying i earned the day off. so it's on!! hope the birds cooperate
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 am

A buddy and myself got out with two youths Saturday. :biggrin:

First place was a bust. I have watched 25+ birds walk down the road and figured it would be pretty straight forward so we all sat together. Come 8AM I learned that it was not going to be as easy as I originally thought... Go figure turkey hunting...

We decided to try another place where I have had some luck in the past. Found one nice one struting and set up on him a little ways off. Both me and my kid and my buddy and his sat 10" apart as we figured one is better than none. Called a bunch and he gobbled a few times then nothing... My buddy and I both started calling hard, switching calls etc and then it was on. One gobbled, then two and next thing we knew 5 birds were going and we were surrounded. I look to my left and see my buddy shifting kid one to the right and saying "When you see his head kill him. He is right there." Two minutes later he shows himself at 10', kid shoots and rolls him perfectly. My buddy runs out grabs the bird (wings flapping some) and runs through the woods behind me and kid two flapping its wings and calling. 30 seconds later tom #2 comes running full speed at me and kid #2. Birds stops at about 7' and I tell the kid to kill him and his grazes the bird which jumps up and starts to fly. Kid takes second shot.

We spent the next hour and half looking for the bird but no dice.

Over all it was hands down the best turkey hunt I have ever been on! The kids had a great time and I must say if turkey season ended today I would be perfectly okay with it after seeing that go down.

Good luck to the folks out today. Be safe!
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Matt, appreciate the help. That bird was the biggest of the youth hunt. And by the way the young man was none other than Cody! Baymen's young gun from the youth Duck hunt.

I went today, First place was quiet. Second place I ended up passing on 3 different Jakes. The big guy was henned up and wouldnt leave the girls. Good Luck everyone and be safe. Lots of people in the woods stalking gobbles.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jofa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:15 pm

bagged a decent tom first light on opening day, was lucky to have a bunch roosted at one of my spots. went back w a buddy this morning but we only saw a hen and 2 does - but they were only about 5 yards away so it was pretty cool hunt in that regard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1398823957945.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398823936251.jpg
Jofa
hunter

Postby spreademandshootem » Thu May 01, 2014 6:44 am

Went up on the north shore the other day and saw about every animal aside from turkeys. As soon as I cross the NH Border to go to a meeting I see a monster tom struttin his stuff. Oh well, headed out saturday and maybe tomorrow on the home turf
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 am

Guided Colleen to her first jake this morning! We've been scouting and roosting a much larger tom, we were surprised when the jake came in, but the tom was hanging back. The jake was close, about 20 yards away, so instead of getting busted and possibly losing an opportunity as both, we elected for the jake. Now she can pass on the jakes and go for the big guy! She did awesome, rolled him perfectly!
Attachments
232323232-fp83232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv-49-=ot-2369=;6-=784=XROQDF-2---359;83239ot1lsi.jpg
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Way to go Colleen, and a nice pic there kjm. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Richard Struh » Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 am

Matt and I crushed a true double Saturday. My first turkey.

Richard Struh
hunter

Postby Maurry » Mon May 12, 2014 8:14 am

Nicely done! And both of you look pretty pleased.
Maurry
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon May 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Nice birds boys, and a great picture.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JoeP » Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Good shootin boys! Get the gravy ready! :thumbsup:
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue May 13, 2014 4:13 pm

congrats everybody :beer: smsovis, that bird looks heavy heavy and like it'd been through some battles. good deal
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Good job Matt. Richard, that's a great bird for your first one.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu May 15, 2014 5:47 pm

JoeP wrote:Good shootin boys! Get the gravy ready! :thumbsup:

Wow, he lives!!! Whats going on Joe? great to see you swing by.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting