New Duck Hunter

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

New Duck Hunter

Postby davidjkim810 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:23 am

Hey all,

I'm extremely interested in learning about duck hunting and am prepared to do what it takes to learn all about it. I was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction in terms of starting on this journey. Would love to speak with any experienced duck hunter and would pay to come along and learn on a hunt one day. Thanks all :)
davidjkim810
Newb

Re: New Duck Hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 pm

:welcome: David. Simply put, do your research. Starting with DHC is ok. Browse all the forums and you'll find plenty of info, some good some ok. If you're willing to pay, go with a guide. I don't think anyone that's not a guide would take your money just to go hunting.

If you tell us a little bit about yourself, like where your from, hunting experience, your age etc...(only if you want to), you could end up on a hunt with some one from here. I took two fellow DHC'ers out last year and had a blast.

Keep your questions coming, we should be able to answer them. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:I took two fellow DHC'ers out last year and had a blast.

Yeah, and it only took me 3 years to get the invite! :beer:

Welcome to the forum, David. Lots of great guys on here. Baymen is right, put in the time and research....scouting is the best advice. I doubt anybody on here would take money for an invite. An offer to buy coffee and donuts is a good start...and when you do get that invite make sure to do your share of the work lugging gear, setting decoys etc.

Have you ever been duck hunting before? Any other types of game?
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:
Baymen Moe wrote:I took two fellow DHC'ers out last year and had a blast.

Yeah, and it only took me 3 years to get the invite! :beer:

Sorry, had to isolate the d bags first, right? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

i comprende, compadre
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Maxus 74 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am

Hi,
Im from Boylston trying to find good places is not easy. Lots a Ducks around but a good place to hunt not so. I plan on scouting around trying to find rivers beavers have dammed up isolated ponds etc.
Maxus 74
Newb

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 am

Hi david,

Inland is tough, too much restricted access, too many houses. Coastal is a lot easier to find places, especially if you have a boat.
Are you currently a **** **** ? If not you might start by joining a Club (the Nimrod League and the North Worcester Fox and Coon are both in Holden and offer weekly trap shooting) and shooting on a regular basis. It's a great way to get in shape and practice, and the members you'll met there could be your best resource for places to hunt and friendly folks to hunt with !

( I am a former member and past president of the NWFCC)

Good luck !
Dana
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby james1981 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Identifying roost ponds and then feeding areas will be helpful. I am a fellow central ma hunter and it can be tough to find places, but they are out there and you will be close to houses, buildings, and probably get a few nasty looks from people. Mainly I like to educate people about hunting seasons and treat them well. I have found that 99 percent of people want to learn what you are doing.
Google earth... is the best thing for duck hunting besides a truck, waders, and gun. It takes a while to find the roost ponds and hours of driving. I have found rivers are really good. There is the Nashua river DU chapter may be able to help with finding places and meeting people.
The blackstone flows out of worcester, i have never hunting it, not sure if you can but a place to start.... LOTs of ponds west heading to Holden, Paxton, leicster, spencer... LOTS of water... Check Regulations as they could be reseviors for worcester.

Prolly should have put that in a PM but .....
james1981
hunter

Postby ddbaruch » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:34 am

Hey Man,

I am new to Mass, but not new to Duck Hunting. I have been shooting ducks for years, born and raised in south florida hunting. However, just moved up here. I have done a ton of networking and scouting and pretty much got this place figured out. I found a ton of honey holes that are holding a ton of ducks. Would love a hunting buddy. Duck hunting is better when you can shoot with someone else, and it is also safer this way. Let me know if your interested, PM me.

Dave
ddbaruch
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting