Hello all

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Hello all

Postby MaritimeAirRaid » Thu May 01, 2014 9:05 pm

I'd like to start out saying I've been reading here on DHC for a few months now. My hometown is back in central Virginia but i'm attending Massachusetts Maritime Academy for marine engineering sothis has become my home away from home. Back home my experiences range alot, from tuna fishing in the summer to bow hunting central Va ,duck hunting the Chickahomony river for puddle ducks and geese, snow geese in Chincoteague on the eastern shore, and sea ducks here and there up and down the coast. I'm not picky on what i hunt or fish for, as long as i;m outside. I'll admit i don't have nearly as much experience duck hunting as deer hunting or fishing but it was always one of my favorite hunts I just didn't have much opportunity or means to back home. I'm slowly gearing up to try my hand at getting back in the game next semester as I've been granted permission by some very kind Friends' families I have met here to hunt their bogs and fields.A few other things about myself, I've been on with my hometown fire dept for two years, this is my first year being here in mass, and i'm really looking forward to meeting the members here on DHC. Been reading a lot on here and have been impressed with the quality of guys on here and how helpful they seem to be to others, unlike some other forums. Anyways i know ill be asking questions here and there and ill just say in advance its been awhile since I've been a part of a forum so if I do anything noot within SOP's just give me a shout. Look forward to getting ready for a great season this year! :thumbsup:
Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes
MaritimeAirRaid
hunter

Re: Hello all

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 pm

hey welcome to the forum.

:welcome:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri May 02, 2014 3:04 pm

:welcome: to the forum :beer: You're already ahead of the game with permission to hunt the bogs and fields.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri May 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Welcome aboard. :beer: :beer:
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat May 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Welcome,

I am sure you will like hunting up here. NO stinking Blind laws :lol: Striper's will be showing up any day now at MMA. I know a few of the cadets that hunt, You will be in good hands. :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MaritimeAirRaid » Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Ya the private land will probably be all i need. One of them is 500 acres with a thick resident goose population that has never been shot at and the owners despise so that should be nailed down. I haven't had a opportunity to scout it yet but i have scouted at least a dozen WMA's in the area and have countless hours into walking miles across them and a map on Google maps outlining the areas. I know scouting is everything. even if its the wrong time of year. I have been told that the public lands gets a lot of pressure however so i'm hoping to avoid them if i can. One quick question for y'all, i hunt down south and by the time they get to us they've been shot at a few times so our number of dekes very's greatly on the time of year. Early season we throw a pretty good spread but later when the shy ones roll in its down to 6 Canada's and a dozen puddle ducks if not less. Is it the same up here or could i get away with bringing 2-3 dozen up for the whole season? As ya'll know dekes take up a lot of space and all i have is my truck bed and backseat to bring them up.

P.S on the fishing note i was on watch this weekend watching two guys pull up some nice taug right beside the ship, 12-16". and the bass are stacking up in wareham. Actually was shown pictures this time from my friends coming back after the weeekend to prove it :wink:
MaritimeAirRaid
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 am

It's rare for me to run more than a dozen duck decoys at any time during the season.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 am

Like Moe said, No need to be hauling around a big spread. Even the geese during the early resident season are still in family groups of 8 -18 so 12 quality dekes is sufficient. Late season I like Micro spreads for the wary geese.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MaritimeAirRaid » Tue May 06, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the advice fellas. The best way to go about hunting em varies from place to place (MA vs VA) so i figured why not ask those with experience here on DHC. I'm always willing to hear any advice and constructive criticism.
MaritimeAirRaid
hunter

Postby wsumner » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 pm

I also use a dozen or fewer decoys for ducks, except sea ducks. But I have good luck on the geese with large spreads Late season where I hunt there is lots of competion for the birds so large spreads are in order. I run 60 - 120 big foots. Lots of work but it pays off .

Wayne
wsumner
hunter

Postby MaritimeAirRaid » Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

thanks for the input. One last thing, do cranberry bogs draw in numbers of geese? May sound basic to ya'll but I know nothing about the bogs. I guess what i'm asking is do they feed in the bogs like they would a corn field.
Thanks!
MaritimeAirRaid
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm

My very limited experience with bogs would say that they use them more as a loafing space. From what I have seen, they are feeding in fields and heading back to the bogs to chill out.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby james1981 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm

welcome, enjoy the early canada season. it is coming really soon....
james1981
hunter

Postby dennisducks » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 am

PM sent
dennisducks
Newb

Postby magundog » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:53 am

I'm not far from MMA and I mostly hunt bogs near me. As far as geese are concerned, like somebody posted earlier, they are pretty much fly by, sometimes you will get a few to land but they are manly feeding in the fields. Ducks are always plentiful in the bogs where I hunt even late in the season. I usually only bring about 6 decoys to the bogs since the pond I hunt is not that big.
magundog
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting