Common Eider Virus

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Common Eider Virus

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 am

Coastal hunters, there is a front page article in this mornings Globe about the eiders and the virus that has been decimating them. Good reading, I'll have to go through it again myself. They are calling it the Wellfleet Bay Virus, and it seems to impact the birds here in Mass more than in other places. They are trying to find the cause, and then hopefully the remedy.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Re: Common Eider Virus

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Interesting name for it. I have not read the piece but have heard of the decline.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Probably doesnt help that most guys chuck them in the dumpster after the hero shot. I vote that if you aren't going to eat them, then let them fly. I've got a killer stew recipe that will change everyone's mind about eating sea ducks. It's been field tested on a dozen hungry football fans, and it didn't last long.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby CrazyToHunt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Let's get that Eider recipe!!!
CrazyToHunt
hunter

Postby JTR » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Ok I just typed out a whole recipe and lost it, so I'm going to make this short and sweet:

Only thing you need is a crock pot and then,

1-2 pounds of sea duck meat, chopped on the smaller side

The following ingredients chopped:

2-3 red potatoes
1/2 head celery
2-3 carrots
1 large onion

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 bay leaves
Splash of Worcestershire
Beef broth ( COLLEGE INN) if you're going to be brand loyal to anything, make it your broths.

Take your chopped sea duck and throw it in a zip loc bag with a 1/2 cup of flour, salt and pepper. Shake and coat all of the meat. Then put the meat at the bottom of your crock pot. Then throw in your chopped veges and garlic. Then pour in your beef broth 1-2 inches above your other ingredients. Turn the crock pot on low in the morning. 12 hours later, I promise you will have a stew worthy of feeding to anyone, including the mother in law. Just don't tell them what they are eating. My favorite way to serve it is over buttered egg noodles.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby AkHuntress » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:21 am

JTR wrote:Ok I just typed out a whole recipe and lost it, so I'm going to make this short and sweet:

Only thing you need is a crock pot and then,

1-2 pounds of sea duck meat, chopped on the smaller side

The following ingredients chopped:

2-3 red potatoes
1/2 head celery
2-3 carrots
1 large onion

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 bay leaves
Splash of Worcestershire
Beef broth ( COLLEGE INN) if you're going to be brand loyal to anything, make it your broths.

Take your chopped sea duck and throw it in a zip loc bag with a 1/2 cup of flour, salt and pepper. Shake and coat all of the meat. Then put the meat at the bottom of your crock pot. Then throw in your chopped veges and garlic. Then pour in your beef broth 1-2 inches above your other ingredients. Turn the crock pot on low in the morning. 12 hours later, I promise you will have a stew worthy of feeding to anyone, including the mother in law. Just don't tell them what they are eating. My favorite way to serve it is over buttered egg noodles.

Props man, can't wait to try this!!
AkHuntress
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting