locator calls

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

locator calls

Postby wingshooter26 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:26 am

Getting a late start on my first turkey season due to work and traveling. I have been out every day this week scouting / hoping to get lucky. I have had no trouble finding hens in the woods no toms or jakes. I got a owl hooter locator and it doesnt seem to get them gobbling and i am using it properly i am very familiar with reeded calls. What do you guys use for locators?
I zoomed all the way in on Google Earth and couldn't even see any ducks....time to find a new spot.
wingshooter26
hunter

Re: locator calls

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:19 pm

If your owl hooter doesn't get a response try a crow call. Still no response? Try a gobbler call. Usually I just go straight to a hen call, but be ready to sit down immediately. If I get no response I move another couple hundred yards and try a hen call again.

After the first couple of days they were pretty quiet out this way, but when they did respond 3 out of 4 times there was more than one that showed up. Keep trying and good luck.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby james1981 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Its later in the season and most birds have been called to alot by now. I would definitely be very wary of any noise coming from the woods that could be a turkey they sometimes will not even respond just creep up to you if they have been pressured a lot. I like box calls, but slate and mouth work, think differently as most birds have heard the same old love song, kinda like going to a wedding and dancing to the MACARENA, gets old quick and is very dated...
I strongly reccomend against using a gobble call during shooting hours, unless you want to get shot at... ALWAYS A RISK... think about the number of people who are still hunting and have not seen or shot a turkey yet... Owl and Crow calls are much better... and safer... the Gobble will also discourage any Jakes from coming into range and may just send them packing...

Scouting the birds, roosting them and then knowing where they want to be during the day, by now the hens are sitting on nests and are mostly bred, maybe a few stragglers. It is a good thing if you are able to lure hens into range, it means your cadence and calls are mimicing what they want to hear, this time of year when the Toms are henned up its a good strategy to lure the tom in behind the group of hens.

Try and scout fields that Toms have been taken out of, the jakes and smaller toms are fighting over the remaining hens.
For every tom you see in the field there are probably double sitting in the woods lonely waiting for you to take him down....

I wouldnt get too locked in on fields, some people really like sitting on edges of fields, however more often then not when you are scouting the educated birds are well aware of the dangers lurking at the edges and by now are in the center of the fields and not willing to be tempted by any amount of calling...
GET IN THE WOODS, especially hardwoods, look for signs where they are eating acorns, and digging up the area...prime spots to set up an ambush. I like hunting the woods as turkeys are more comfortable and willing to come to calls, even if they have been pressured pretty good.

When in doubt, run and gun a larger piece of property, Hunt RAINY DAYS... Get in the woods early near roosts, If you are hunting the woods, be ready I can't emphasize this enough, I called in five birds this year, dropped one jake out of a pair, then took down a nice tom 21.25lbs 10 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs... hunting alone.... With the young buck(15yrs old ) my young gun apprentice... I called in two Tom's at 30 yrds, and he was unsuccessful because he had to move his gun and was not ready for the bird. 4 of 5 birds came in by 9 am... the big tom was 11:30am dont underestimate staying in the woods past 10 am... it pays off when the hens return to the nest... all of my birds were shot within 300yrds of the roost....

FIgured I would give you my 2 cents on the situation...
james1981
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu May 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Try a goose call, As mentioned already we are pretty far into the season and most of the remaining birds are educated and the hens are on the nest. Scout a tom then set up and wait & wait & wait while some doing light & soft hen talk. dont expect to hear much other than a twig snapping as he walks into you. Good Luck
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wingshooter26 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 pm

thanks alot guys i wasnt gonna go tomorrow but after i get advice like that how can i lay in bed... the alarm is set for 4 a.m. I have been really relying on hearing a gobble but i guess i have to be more patient and wait for him to come twig snapping torwards me (best advice i have been given). I have scouted the local corn fields and such but didnt seem to promising so i have been in mile standish out in the woods but i was worrying that i was in areas of too thick of cover. I know they are breathing brush breakers but they are also lazy, how clear of an area in the woods should i be setting up in?
I zoomed all the way in on Google Earth and couldn't even see any ducks....time to find a new spot.
wingshooter26
hunter

Postby james1981 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:11 pm

The last bird i called into gun range with the young apprentice only gobbled three times well out of range and walked right the rest without any calling or show before checking out the decoy... I would think to put out a hen decoy or two.... again has him looking at the decoy and not you... I postition them REALLY close like 10 yards away in the woods...
Paint or put a Red sock on a jake decoy... or Tom... if you find one, Clip the beard shorter than normal.... Just a last ditch effort to kill one, but might give the edge, think jake and hen combo... might work for a tom...

I have seen toms on cart road, back roads, middle of dirt roads.... anywhere there are strips of grass... got to think like a turkey... GRASS>.... they love eating the bugs... their diet is very high in protien, if you ever raised them they require and insane amount of protien in their diet... and why a home grown bird fetches a pretty penny come thankgiving... i heard of 80 dollar birds that the hippies buy...
Full camo also, be sure you are wearing a hat, mask and gloves, nothing shiney on your gun... when in doubt camo up as much as you can, some guys use guillie suits, but position and cover, I like blow downs, sticks, anything that adds the 3D element to break up your sillouhette.
I would scout hay fields but more or less outside edges of the " normal hunting areas" where birds have recieved tons of pressure. When in Doubt, run and gun... find the birds, find the roost, google map... Run and gun is the best strategy for when you arent sure where the birds are... Patience and drive will get you a bird plenty of time left, I would use every amount of effort to find the birds and hunt right up til noon...

Another stategy is to go out late and sleep in, 9 or 10 am and hunt til noon looking for birds that lost their hens, and are lonely... Again beware of the ghost jakes, they will slip right in on you especially in the rain.
Point two is if is raining the birds will be in fields, they dont like having so much noise in the woods as they cant hear predators, so they will B=lining it to a field or cart road early.
james1981
hunter

Postby james1981 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I set up where i can, and where the birds are. they will come in to look... In the hardwood forest you can see prolly 40-50 yards and get a solid shot off at 30 or more depending... Not thick cover like laurel but regular hardwoods that are older... Try clear cuts too, any clear cut is like an all you can eat buffett... for deer and turkeys... seen them there also...

very simple, find their food, water, roost, and open edges of transitional areas clear cuts, logging roads, marginal habitat. dry beaver impoundments.... When in doubt move, I spent last weekend walking 2 miles to find the birds... they were 1/4 mile from where i started seems like a waste but approached from an advantage and was able to call one in....

Dont need to call all of them just one... finding the one is the hardest part....
james1981
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting