registry hassle

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

registry hassle

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri May 23, 2014 6:35 pm

i recently purchased an otter stealth 2000. received it the other day. i was hoping to register it tomorrow. HOWEVER, i am anticipating a huge hassle and was hoping for some advice.

the registry says to bring the following documents:

Boats Under 14'-Required Documents

bill of sale (i have the online receipt)
st-6 form showing that i paid sales tax (the receipt shows i paid sales tax, but this is not the st-6 form)
hull id number (i took a photo of it and will bring that along)
copy of the MSO, manufacturer's certificate of origin (i dont have that)

my plan is to swing by bass pro tomorrow with all the paperwork and see if they can help me, but i just spent an hour on the phone with them, getting transferred all over the place, and did not get any answers. i am gonna bring a blank st-6 form and a copy of my online sales receipt, along with a printout of the required documents needed to register a boat in mass.

i checked the dry storage hoping that the MSO certificate was in there, but it wasnt. also, they didnt include all the hardware for the motor mount. i guess the main hassle is from beavertail...i will have to call them during the week and hopefully they will take care of it.
Last edited by Professor_Leakey on Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: registry hassle

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri May 23, 2014 6:53 pm

i called bass pro again and spoke with somebody that was helpful...he said to bring the paperwork along and that they would help me out. he also said that the manufacturer was supposed to include the MSO certificate, but that they sometimes forget to include it. if that is the case, they will have to request it from the manufacturer. sounds like another hassle, but at least they gave me some answers, finally. it only took an hour and a half of being transferred all over the place. what a pain in the arse

*went in to bass pro today and the people there were a lot of help. they filled out the ST-6 form and had it notarized. they werent able to help with the missing MSO certificate. that is something i will have to contact the manufacturer about, but it shouldnt be a big issue. at least i hope not.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby kmachstang » Tue May 27, 2014 2:00 pm

I feel your pain. I was in a similar song and dance last fall. Had a 14' canoe that I bought 4 years ago. Lost the sales receipt. Tracked down the purchase record through the retail store. Purchased it on a tax free weekend so no proof of sales tax. Took me a good 2-3 weeks to get everything ironed out between old credit card statements, emails from the retailer and a very helpful manager who filled out the blank MSO and post dated it.

The sales tax wavier was fun tho, luckily the dept of revenue and the env police offices were across the hall from each other in the same building. Was a fun game of ping pong back and forth for a while.
kmachstang
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 pm

i actually arranged for them to come pick it up and take it back. i noticed a couple dings and scratches in the hull so i contacted otter. sent them a couple pics, they contacted bass pro, bass pro contacted me...and now theyre gonna ship me a new one. hopefully the new one will have the MSO. oh and i realized there was missing hardware for the motor mount. bass pro said they would contact the manufacturer and have that sent out, as well.

havent even gotten to the registry yet. hoping the new one they send out has the MSO. it's been a pain in the arse so far, but they seem to be making it right.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Richard Struh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:49 pm

So i bought a craigslist zodiac. No proof of sale. Nothing.

How the hell am I going to register it?
Richard Struh
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Richard Struh wrote:So i bought a craigslist zodiac. No proof of sale. Nothing.

How the hell am I going to register it?

since i bought mine through a dealer, i needed to have that MSO. with you buying it on CL and assuming it is under 14', you will just need to pay your sales tax online and bring along the ST-6 form, pencil tracing or photo of the hull id number, and make up a bill of sale. you shouldnt have too much of a hassle.

my problem was that there was no MSO, but Otter has since mailed me one. i just need to wait for the new one to get shipped and them to take away the damaged one they sent me. oh and bring your check book to the registry because they will not accept cash.

here's a link for you:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech-assistance/enforcement/environmental-police/boat-rv-and-snowmobile-registration-bureau/registration-fees-and-documents-generic.html
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Jofa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:24 am

you will just need to pay your sales tax online and bring along the ST-6 form, pencil tracing or photo of the hull id number, and make up a bill of sale. you shouldnt have too much of a hassle.

Man, just that sounds like quite a hassle to me. Add to these tasks having to go in person to the DNR office to register and pay fees on everything is too much.

It's amazing what governmental hoops we have been forced to grow used to just to enjoy the outdoors.
Jofa
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

ok, well fed ex just brought the new stealth 2000 to replace the damaged one they sent me. this one was damaged even worse than the first one!! i refused it and am gonna get a refund.

back to the drawing board. i guess im gonna look around for another manufacturer. any suggestions? i am very unimpressed with this company. damaged goods, missing hardware, missing paperwork. not sure what their deal is. im waiting to hear back from their customer service rep.

**i spoke with customer service at otter and they were really helpful. they said they would make all the arrangements and would try to get this situation fixed on the fast track. i suppose i will give them one last try before i start looking elsewhere. when i first posted this i thought it was a registry hassle but i havent even had a chance to get to that part yet. 1 month, 2 damaged boats, missing paperwork, missing hardware, all sorts of phone calls and frustration. pain in the arse.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting