This seasons bucket list

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

This seasons bucket list

Postby woodduck14 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 am

Hey guys, it's July, but I've already got the waterfowl itch...
What do you guys want to accomplish this coming duck season?

I want to shoot a drake goldeneye.
I want to get my father and brother in the blind with me.
Get out to hunt a couple different areas, Maryland + New York.
Get my cousin out a few more times- he shot his first duck last year and that gave him the fever.

Anyone got anything else?
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Re: This seasons bucket list

Postby cape-shot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:48 pm

That looks like a good list there woodduck. :beer:

I actually don't have much of a bucket list this year. I'm probably going to leave the ducks alone for the most part and just concentrate on geese when they're available. Also, my 1.5 year old lab is an upland maniac, so i'll be chasing around the pheasant and quail a lot more than I ever have.

I already can't wait to feel that first cool breeze of september blowing across my face with the sound of geese overhead.
cape-shot
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:50 am

Leave the ducks alone and send them my way.
Pheasant is always a fun alternative to the ducks. I usually get out a couple times during the season just to break it up a little, it's nice to carry little gear and not have to worry about a boat/water.
Thanks for the post!
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:24 pm

My desire is to just get out as much as possible. But my big thing this season is taking my son on the youth waterfowl hunt. He turns 12 this month and I've got plans to hit the skeet range this month, with my mentor Tom, (keys to the range), where I'll give my son some instruction in shotgunning. Can't wait for that! Heck, at this point whenever my son wants to go he can do the shooting. :thumbsup:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JTR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:38 pm

First thing on my bucket list is to actually be prepared before the season starts. It always sneaks up on me. Next, I want to bag a deer in RI, which is going to require me getting my bow restrung, buying a climber and doing my fair shair of scouting in the next 2 months.

After that, I want to spend as much time outside as possible. I'll have about 20 vaca days to use come the fall, so I plan on spending my fair share in the woods.

I've been toying with the idea of heading to the Jacksonville area to visit my uncle and try to shoot a hog or two, but that is on the back burner for now.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 pm

not in MA but I thought I'd chime in.

I want to kill a 6 duck limit of 4 green heads and 2 bull sprigs.

Have gotten the greenies out of the way easy, but never been able to put it all together.

Probably get a hanging mount done if it ever happens.

Oh yea, and just one elusive band.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby Jofa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 am

I missed much of last duck season as I had my sights set on a big Buck I kept seeing (for about 6 weeks) but couldn't get a shot at til December. I did finally get him though :-)

This year I really want to get more time w waterfowl, so I'm building a decent duck blind in my secret spot.
I built the structure last month, basically a very small free standing deck in the water (which was a bitch lugging the material in) and yesterday I brought in some brush etc to hide it better. it still needs a ton more brush so it'll need a couple more pre-season visits.

I was excited to see a couple dozen wood duck hens and their little ones out there, so that was encouraging. I don't want to spook them too much so I will try to limit my time working in there as much as possible. maybe wait another week or two to go back?

looking forward to the fall for sure!
Jofa
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Jofa wrote:I missed much of last duck season as I had my sights set on a big Buck I kept seeing (for about 6 weeks) but couldn't get a shot at til December. I did finally get him though :-)

This year I really want to get more time w waterfowl, so I'm building a decent duck blind in my secret spot.
I built the structure last month, basically a very small free standing deck in the water (which was a bitch lugging the material in) and yesterday I brought in some brush etc to hide it better. it still needs a ton more brush so it'll need a couple more pre-season visits.

I was excited to see a couple dozen wood duck hens and their little ones out there, so that was encouraging. I don't want to spook them too much so I will try to limit my time working in there as much as possible. maybe wait another week or two to go back?

looking forward to the fall for sure!

With nobody shooting at them, I think you will be ok for the work you need to get done back there.

My unicorn for this season is a pintail. I couldn't connect with the one I scouted for last year...

I bought a hobie proangler this year so I now have a means to hunt some bigger water and get into more divers!
Joser06
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing a pintail on that stone wall this year Joser. :biggrin:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 am

Baymen Moe wrote:Looking forward to seeing a pintail on that stone wall this year Joser. :biggrin:

I sure hope so. I landed a career after last season was over so I have to pick and choose my days I hunt. With that being said I, the schedule at work is a 4 on 2 off work week so I should have plenty of time to hunt. I see a lot of ducks in my future!
Joser06
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting