New to bow hunting

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

New to bow hunting

Postby GMC2500HD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting into bow hunting this year and need some basic advice.

What bow should I get/recommendations on bows and equipment. I've fired a compound with limited success because I'm totally unsteady and cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Second would be tree stands I'm hunting lands that were you can only have a stand with no screw in ladders.

Lastly any shooting advice.

Thanks in advance guys.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Re: New to bow hunting

Postby bruteforce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 am

Go To Reedys Archery in Middleboro. You will leave with a new setup and hitting groups the size of a half dollar at 20 yards. Best bow shop around.
bruteforce
Newb

Postby spreademandshootem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:10 am

Reedy's is good but they nickel and dime you for every little thing imho. I've always taken the trip to kittery. Good people and they are good about getting you setup.

Love my lone wolf climber, but its a lot of money to drop if you are just starting/trying it out.
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Reedy's is the only game in town locally yes, but you don't absolutely need to buy there as was stated. No need to get the fastest bow either. Shoot one that is comfortable to draw and forgiving and smooth. As far as tree stands, there are plenty that don't require screws. Climbers can damage trees if that's an issue, but there are plenty of ladders and hang on's that don't require penetrating the tree. Good luck. Bow hunting is extremely enjoyable.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Jofa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Reedys is THE place. great guys, the best service by far.

spend the money and buy a nice hoyt and u wont regret it, buy a cheaper bow and u will wish u didn't.
Jofa
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to make my way down there sooner or later and see what they can do for me. Can't wait for deer season I've been seeing some real monsters on my way into work at 430am.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby Jofa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 am

I'd get the bow ASAP and start shooting it a lot - at different ranges and different angles (like from a stand)

also set your stand up early and leave it and the surrounding area alone. you don't want to be walking around scenting the place up near hunting season.

a single seat ladder stand is good for a beginner.

good luck
Jofa
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:12 am

I'd check out Reedy's. I just went in there yesterday to get my cables and string replaced. I convinced myself that I needed a new $115 arrow rest as well. The kid that helped me out spent an hour and a half on my bow, then took me to the range and got me to a point at which both of us were happy with the accuracy. Total hit was $230, but it was truly money well spent. I felt like a :censored: when I didn't have a $10 to tip the kid. I took it home to paper tune it, but it was spot on already. Back to shooting 2 inch groups at 25 yards after a year off.

My only advice - get there ASAP and early. They opened at 10 yesterday, so I got there at 9:45. By 10, there were 5 trucks in the lot. By the time I left, there were at least a dozen. If too many people need help with their bows, you will be in for a long wait.

Oh, and they are a Mathews, Hoyt, and Mission (division of Mathews) dealer. You go in and tell them what you are looking for and they will shoot with you until you are both happy. For a first bow, I'd say take a look at the Mission line, or look around for a used Mathews and bring it to the guys at Reedy's. Bows are like golf clubs. Manufacturers are constantly pumping out new models and slightly older models sell at deep discounts.

Most sets of climbing sticks and tree stands don't screw into the tree, but are attached with ratchet straps. For good starting tree stands, I'd honestly go to D1ck's (forum edits out the real name). Unless you decide that you want to do a climber and hike it into the woods every time you hunt. In which case, I'd go with an aluminum model that won't weigh you down too much. Most importantly, get a good harness, and watch some youtube videos on tree stand safety. That will be the best money and time that you've ever spent.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting