Road trip to Iowa

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., JoeP, HeritageHunter, Tim D

Road trip to Iowa

Postby plumislandgunnin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 pm

I know it's the wrong state and I'm hoping for a longshot as I tried this in the Iowa forum with 295 views and 0 replies :huh: :mad: If anyone any info on Iowa waterfowling I would greatly appreciate it. :bow:

I am looking at the possibility of taking a road trip to Iowa for a hunt this season. I have family with a farm in the Nevada area, which would most likely serve as my starting point. That being said I am open to ideas or input from anyone. In MA where I hunt it's mostly salt marsh and open water hunts for black ducks, divers, and seaducks (eiders, scoters, etc). We do have some small farms (2-3 acres) which we hunt for geese and the occasional mallard. I would be interested in field hunts for geese and ducks or smaller pond/river hunts. We would be bringing layouts,decoys and a canoe with 2 father/son teams and a dog.

Any input on better time of the season for north vs south zone or directions of travel to try from Nevada would be greatly appreciated.
Also if anyone had any information as to property owners giving permission to out of state hunters and how hard it is to get permission, if most guys get it locked up before the season.

Thank you very much, hope everyone is enjoying the off seasons and counting down the days til is opens! :thumbsup:
duck, duck, goose....dinner! ~ Whack 'em & Stack 'em!
plumislandgunnin
hunter

Re: Road trip to Iowa

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 am

I checked out the Iowa forum to see if you had any responses...looks like there's only been 4 or 5 responses to any thread at all since March. I wish I had some advice for you but I havent even stepped foot out of New England in about 10 years.

Have you considered maybe finding a guide or are you committed to trying to go it on your own?
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: Road trip to Iowa

Postby plumislandgunnin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 am

i would like to try it freestyle on our own. Scouting and figuring it out would be part of the fun. My dream would be North Dakota freestyle but its too long of a drive for me to take that much time from home right now. I have a 2.5 y/o son and although my wife is awesome about letting me hunt i think a week and half trip to ND would be pushing it.
duck, duck, goose....dinner! ~ Whack 'em & Stack 'em!
plumislandgunnin
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting