Youth guns.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Youth guns.

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Hey guy's, you know what I've been up to with my son, so I want to throw this out there. I'm willing to buy new, but if any one has a 20ga youth model they want to sell or know of some one that has one , let me know. Prefer semi auto. Thanks.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Youth guns.

Postby greener » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 am

I by no means am an expert on guns, but I have2 kids who have just entered the world of hunting including waterfowel. I will give you my opinion on youth type guns. They are a waste of money... My kids grew out of them and (fast) they are virtually useless at this point.

I should have just bought or invested in standard long guns. I am doing this now they grow fast and will out grow the youth models...

Just my opionion

Good luck and kids are fun to hunt with :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
greener
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for the input, but, I did have him shoulder a standard 20ga 1100 and it was a bit heavy for him and long in the pull. He ceratinly cannot shoulder my 12's comfortably, to big all around. I know how fast these kids grow, but I want him to be able to shoot this season comfortably. If it means buying one for one seasons use I can live with that. He was very comforable shooting the model at the club and shot it well.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 am

Youth 20ga 1100.

I have one but don't think I am willing to part with it.

I believe they make a youth 870 which might make good sense.
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby SMSovis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:23 am

Btw I see a pair of waders on the other site that might be perfect for the young lad...
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm

SMSovis wrote:Youth 20ga 1100.

I have one but don't think I am willing to part with it.

I believe they make a youth 870 which might make good sense.

That's funny Matt, he shot the 20ga 1100 youth gun at the club and it was perfecrt for him. I could go the 870 route as well and save a few bucks or have him beat up an Express youth.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:04 pm

greener wrote:I by no means am an expert on guns, but I have2 kids who have just entered the world of hunting including waterfowel. I will give you my opinion on youth type guns. They are a waste of money... My kids grew out of them and (fast) they are virtually useless at this point.

I should have just bought or invested in standard long guns. I am doing this now they grow fast and will out grow the youth models...

Just my opionion

Good luck and kids are fun to hunt with :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Eating my words. After doing some shopping I took this advice above and smartly so. Ended up with a standard size 11-87 Sportsman in 20ga for my son, (and me when I want to hit some grouse) :yes: It is a manageable size for him and will be perfect next year. Thanks greener :thumbsup: Of course I did weigh all the recent bad reviews for Remington with the good ones. I have faith. We'll see.
jonsgun.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:22 am

Only a few more weeks to go!
newgun.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am

You can also find a wooden stock for those at the gun shows for short money and cut it down for him and replace it with the factory one when he grows into it. 11-87 and 1100's are great guns, I've owned them in every gauge, they can be a little finicky if over lubed and barrel ports not cleaned often.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:32 pm

kjm1022 wrote:You can also find a wooden stock for those at the gun shows for short money and cut it down for him and replace it with the factory one when he grows into it. 11-87 and 1100's are great guns, I've owned them in every gauge, they can be a little finicky if over lubed and barrel ports not cleaned often.

Thanks kjm, I think I worried to much about the first gun thing here, but it is a big decision. I'm a Remington fan, I have an 1100 that's 33 years old that I still use. I've had my son mount the gun countless times now and it seems natural to him, and I think I made a bigger deal than I had to on size. Judging by the picture here I think he'll be fine.
jongunmount.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Your son looks plenty happy with it. I am looking forwards to seeing pictures him with a limit of ducks in one hand and the 20 in the other.
Joser06
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 am

Looks like it fits him good in a t shirt, but you might want him to throw on a few layers and a winter hunting jacket. The fit might be a little different, or not, just a suggestion. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby greener » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 am

Nice - you wont regret it. Youth days are soon to be!!! Cheers :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:
greener
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting