AVID HUNTER NEW TO THE AREA

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

AVID HUNTER NEW TO THE AREA

Postby matt_clemons255 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:17 am

My name is Matt and I am a waterfowl hunting lover from upstate NY. Rochester to be exact. I've been the Mass/NH/Maine once before to do some Eider hunting, but it was a little late in the season so we had minimal success.

Since Rochester is right on Lake Ontario, my experience with waterfowl hunting has been mainly diver and mallard hunting. While I have done a lot of goose field hunting, I do truly prefer watching a string of bills coming on a string to the end of your decoy line.

I have just recently purchased a nice hunting/fishing boat and took it out a couple time last year and it worked great.

Mostly I am looking for information on public hunting land and what my best options are for getting permission around here. I am mostly comfortable hunting the open water, however who doesn't love smashing green heads in a swamp.

Unfortunately my friends/roommates are not hunters and I have no interest in begging them to come along. I would rather reach out to a medium such as this to get information and possibly developed hunting relationships.

I am very excited to get my plans for the season in place and any information would be great. Because let's be honest, we have all been in a new place at some point in time looking for information and opportunities.

Happy Hunting and I look forward to meeting as many die harders as I can.

:beer:
Matthew Clemons
Benelli M1 Super 90
matt_clemons255
Newb

Re: AVID HUNTER NEW TO THE AREA

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 pm

:welcome: to you Matt. Nice to see a new member aboard. My first question is are you now a Massachusetts resident? And if so, what part of the state do you reside? There is plenty of public ground to hunt. But just like private land , you need to do your homework, I'm sure you know that. If your boat is seaworthy enough, sea ducks along the Mass coast can be awesome, and there are plenty of puddle duck spots to keep you busy. Give us a little more info if you want and we can steer you in the right direction. The forum has been a little slow this off season but will pick up as we get closer to shooting time, or if there are more people advertising for hunting spots :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:01 pm

hey welcome to the forum
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby matt_clemons255 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 am

Baymen Moe wrote::welcome: to you Matt. Nice to see a new member aboard. My first question is are you now a Massachusetts resident? And if so, what part of the state do you reside? There is plenty of public ground to hunt. But just like private land , you need to do your homework, I'm sure you know that. If your boat is seaworthy enough, sea ducks along the Mass coast can be awesome, and there are plenty of puddle duck spots to keep you busy. Give us a little more info if you want and we can steer you in the right direction. The forum has been a little slow this off season but will pick up as we get closer to shooting time, or if there are more people advertising for hunting spots :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :beer:

I live in Malden for at least through this season. My boat may be sea worthy but not open sea. I could get away with hunting bays and things and I would gladly do that just want to be able to have easy access to the water.

The thing is it will be december before I am considered a resident by Mass standards. So I may have to pay a high price for a license but I don't care as long as there are spots to go. I would love to find some public land and start doing some scouting and even some good sea water to go and check out as well.

thanks for your response
Matthew Clemons
Benelli M1 Super 90
matt_clemons255
Newb

Postby Orange81 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:18 am

Hey Matt, I am planning to hunt early Canada Goose on September in Eastern Mass and looking for hunting partner. Let me know if interested!
Orange81
Newb

Postby ddbaruch » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:28 am

Hey Man,

My name is David, I am also new to the area, but have done a ton of scouting and have talked to quite a few hunters and have got a good handle on the situation. Let's just say, I went out for early geese and have seen hundreds of ducks in the spots i have found. If you would like to hunt with me I would be down, looking for hunting partners. I am a waterfowl hunter born and raised in south florida.

Keep Shooting,

David
ddbaruch
Newb

Postby matt_clemons255 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 am

I have PM'd those of you who are looking for a hunting buddy. I have been super busy at work but am looking for some information on some public areas where I could start scouting and figuring out a game plan for this year.

Also looking for some ideas on what to use for some new diver strings. I have used rope in the past but am looking for a better tangle free method.

Thanks for any input
Matthew Clemons
Benelli M1 Super 90
matt_clemons255
Newb

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting