Does anyone hunt duck in Mass?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Does anyone hunt duck in Mass?

Postby newduck » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:49 pm

Hello,

All week long I see DU stickers on cars but, I does anyone hunt ducks. I live on Cape Cod and looking for people that share the same passion. I moved back from the Northwest and there was in no shortage of people to hunt birds with. Here in Massachusetts I can't find anyone. Please speak up.
newduck
Newb

Postby maduckguy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:03 am

There are a few of us kicking around, I hunt south of Boston. Unfortunatly there are so many liberal anti-hunters in this state that we have to keep quiet.

-Charlie
maduckguy
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:49 pm

Present and checking in as another Mass hunter. Do mostly north shore of MA and little inland hunting. If you can put up with all the antis Mass is actually an excellent state to hunt and fish in terms of variety.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby JD » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:51 pm

I live on the Cape and get out a few times a year. There aren't to many places to go where you don't run into people who don't share your passion. Only a couple more day's till the season opens.
JD
hunter

Postby JoeP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:22 pm

Hello, I am from MA. and this is my first year hunting. I live right on the coast so we are sea duck hunting at the time. Other ducks open on Nov. 24, can't wait. There are many marshes that we will be going on when that season opens. I also thought that there aren't many hunters in our state but the more I sniffed around the more people I found. They are out there, there decoys may be in the attic, the gun may be dusty, and they may not of gotten a license in the last three years but they still have the same love for duck hunting they just need a little spark.

JoeP :salude:
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby hoppy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:37 pm

I hunt Eiders and Old Squaw out of Plymouth and all kinds of other ducks in Westport as well as geese.
hoppy
hunter

Postby JoeP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:09 pm

hoppy, these sea ducks are something else arent they? I have been using 3" number two's. If you don't hit them with a kill shot they dive and are gone! I circled around in the boat the other day after knocking down a scoter and the bird never came up. I have talked to other people who have been through this before and they claim that the bird will actually go down when threatened and grab a hold of something like sea weed? These sea ducks I have been told are a lot different than hunting other duck species. I can see what they are saying!

Joe P :salude:
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby hoppy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Joe, I use 2-3/4 BB and it takes all ducks and geese right down. They dont swim very far. Where do you hunt sea ducks and what kind of a boat do you use? Have you seen any Eiders or Old Squaw yet?
hoppy
hunter

Postby JoeP » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:56 pm

Hoppy, I hunt sea ducks here in Gloucester right off of lanescove, out in the bay, and the mouth of the essex river. There are all kinds of long winding turns throughout the essex river that hold many mallards and blacks. As far as eiders go there is more and more each day. To tell you the truth I do lobstering as a side job and we had a bunch of eiders that were here all year long. I would see them everytime I would go out in the boat either striper fishing or hauling traps. And this was in late May early June. We had several fly by our boat today but out of range. They don't seem like they like the decoys to much. I have not seen an Old Squaw yet, I have had my eyes peeled for them too. Have seen several Harlequins. Amazing looking birds but can't touch them in Mass.
So how are things flying down southern MA? Gettin any down there?

JoeP :salude:
JoeP
State Moderator

Old Squaw and Eiders

Postby JoeP » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:13 am

Hoppy, Just came in from a morning hunt. We only had about an hour of time because the fog came rolling in. I got my first Old Squaw today. They have been around for about a week now. I didn't know that what I have been looking at have been Old Squaw (my previous post) . I knew they were somekind of sea duck while they were flying but never had one come in close enough. They fly different than any other duck that I have seen out there, when they are grouped up they remind me of my homing pigeons that I had when I was younger. They fly in circles and dive then go back up again. What a nice looking bird an old squaw is. And about the Eider thing, we saw about 200 of them today. Two very large groups came by us as we were coming in. We unloaded but to far out of reach. Might go back out later if the fog burns off.

JoeP :thumbsup:
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby hoppy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:20 pm

Joe, Eiders are coming into Plymouth as are the Old Squaws. I bought some Old Squaw decoys this year and they work great. I throw out 12 of each and 12 Bluebills and they are like magnets. good luck
hoppy
hunter

Postby Peetey » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:38 am

My partner moved to another state so I'm looking for a new partner as well?
Peetey
Newb

Postby woodduck14 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:05 pm

hey im a mass duck hunter too, just signed up here tonight, hunt in western mass, any others out there?
woodduck14
hunter

Postby Virginia based » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm an old MA. native who relocated to VA. and will be back up on the Cape around Thanksgiving...Would appreciate any and all advice for eiders on the north or south side of the Cape...Not looking for secret spots just advice on finding launch points or public land areas near a bay or river mouth.
Also any suggestions on when Woodies are out and about.
Virginia based
Newb

Postby Tim D » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:36 pm

VA Based sent you a PM

Tim D
Tim D
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:29 am

VA I sent ya PM.

I have some info for Virginia if ya need it. :thumbsup: Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.