Opening Day Blues

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Opening Day Blues

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 am

I am stuck at work. I was walking in and watched 3 different flocks fly over. :fingerhead:

Lets hear how everyone did, pics are even better!
pike_mazter
hunter

Re: Opening Day Blues

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 am

Yea I'm in the same boat you are sitting here at work. Heard alot of geese moving around before i left for work. maybe this weekend :hammer: :hammer:
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 am

Ditto. Woke up to my husband's alarm at 4am going off, when he was getting up to leave to hunt. Then as I'm walking to my car I heard a volley of gunfire in one of the fields near our house. Grr! I've been moping around all morning. lol.

I'm not going to be able to waterfowl at all this year. I'm pregnant with twins and due in November. So I'm waiting for small game season to open and hoping to shoot a few squirrels. I haven't squirrel hunted since I was a kid, but I have to get out somehow this year!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby seabee67 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am

yep,whoever invented work should be kicked squarely in the crotch!
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
seabee67
hunter

Postby bushwacking » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 am

dont worry you guys didnt miss anything come from my end. got to our field and set up and antoher group pulled up on the edge of another field about 150 yards away once it got light out we noticed that we were surrounded by people hunting and thhere was alot of skybusting alot, ended up with nothing not even firing a shot but on the upside saw alot of ducks a good variety to woodies blacks gadwalls widgeon and mallards they wanted into the field badly so i guess thats always a positive
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby seabee67 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 am

We are seeing a lot of ducks this year also, might actually get more than two this season!
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
seabee67
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah, we've seen a ton of ducks while out scouting too. In our area the geese have been more elusive. Couldn't find them in the areas that we've normally hunted for early geese, so the guys are out in a new spot today. Hopefully it works out for them. It's public land, so there's a good possibility they have to deal with a lot of other guys nearby.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Boom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am

Well. I was going to miss the opener due to work anyways. Since that wasn't bad enough i guess. My juor group had to report yesterday and we were down their all day! Now that my rant is over. My buddy went out yesterday with his dad and they got 3 birds total. They also said it was really quiet all day. Good luck to everyone and save me a bird or two for this weekend please!
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am

Between 2 of us we managed 6 birds last night. 5 were adults and one was this year's hatch. Got skunked this morning but there are practically no fields cut around here.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 pm

My husband and the guys (4 guys total) managed 7 birds yesterday. Five in the morning, and two later in the afternoon in a different spot. They said it was really quiet too.

by ajmorell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Between 2 of us we managed 6 birds last night. 5 were adults and one was this year's hatch. Got skunked this morning but there are practically no fields cut around here.

Were you hunting in the west Michigan area? No need for specifics, just curious. It's the same around us, no cut fields.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:My husband and the guys (4 guys total) managed 7 birds yesterday. Five in the morning, and two later in the afternoon in a different spot. They said it was really quiet too.

by ajmorell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Were you hunting in the west Michigan area? No need for specifics, just curious. It's the same around us, no cut fields.

No, up near Houghton.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Ah, I'm down near G.R.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Not that i have been out yet but i haven't heard many good reports yet and i hope that changes this weekend.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:Ah, I'm down near G.R.

Never hunted EG season around GR. Usually hunt duck season during the week of Thanksgiving and late season with marginal sucess, but the hunting down state doesn't compare to up here IMO.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:49 pm

Its sucked around here. Had birds in the field before season started. With all the nice weather it seems theyre loafing on the water allot more than they were the week before season. And this full moon im sure isnt helping much. And to combat that i wasnt able to obtain many fields this season. Allot of the fields i normally hunt seem to have relatives hunting this year. And the other fields around seem to be taken. Struggling to find new areas. Ill continue to soldier on, im sure something will turn up. If not, ill just salmon fish and wait for the quacker season to roll around. Im not fond of all the mosquitos anyways.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting