southern michigan ducks

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

southern michigan ducks

Postby twigzz88 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm

hello all im new to the site and was hoping i could get some help on a decoy spread for southern michigan.. At the moment i only have a dozen mallard decoys. this should be enough for my first season correct? i will probably add more throughout the season. But my question is what other types of ducks should i add to make my spread more realistic. I know theres black ducks, woodies, ive seen buffle heads before first ice, i cant recall seeing any teal or pintails.but what should i add for more realism?

i already have 12 dozen green head gear decoys, i will most likly add another dozen of those , some on a jerk rig(4-6). And a baby mojo.
twigzz88
hunter

Re: southern michigan ducks

Postby Cobra » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Floater Geese would never hurt
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby smithsc1 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:17 am

Could you post up your location. I have a few extra diver dekes I can part with to get you started.

By the way, I really like the GHG hot buy Dekes, and own a few dozen myself. I purchased slotted decoy bags to protect the paint. Great investment IMO.

About two dozen green heads and two dozen diver dekes will get you a nice start. With puddle ducks, you may want to concentrate on being realistic, replicating what the ducks look like in your area.

Good luck

Scott from Leslie
smithsc1
Newb

Postby twigzz88 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 am

i live in Brooklyn, irish hills area.
twigzz88
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:35 am

Swing over to Knutsons, check into their closeouts, odd lots and 2nds. Believe they have some G&H standard Pintail hens for $24/6. Would be worth having if for nothing more than spread fillers. We get a lot of mixed flocks that come thru the middle part of the state, last few years been seeing more and more gaddies around and the odd Widgeon as well.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby MichiganMarv » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Knutsons in your back yard. Man I'm jelous. The GHG hot buys should cost $25.00 a dzn. that will go a long way. central michigan you can get away with just mallards. over the years add a few here and there. hook up with buddys to buy some deeks. next thing you know you'll have more than you can put out.

locked wings make me smile
MichiganMarv
hunter

Postby twigzz88 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:01 pm

what kind of decoys can i mix with my mallards? ive heard alot about teals never seen one, and divers,(ive seen buffleheads on larger lakes) other than that i dont remember seeing many other divers. So basically ive seen mallards, buffleheads late and on big lakes, and woodies ive seen soem smaller ducsk flying by one of my swamps but i cant seem to get a look at exactly what they are.
twigzz88
hunter

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:49 pm

www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/waterfwl/index.htm will help figure them out. Not uncommon on smallish waters around here to see, Gadwalls, Wigeon, both BW & GW Teal, Ring-Necks, Pintails, Shovelers, Hooded Mergansers, Bluebills, Redheads as well as anything else drift through during the season, just need to be out when they show. They can show up in mixed flocks with any combo of birds in it, makes for an interesting day. Trying to tell you there's no cut and dried answer, show them most anything and they'll respond if you are HIDDEN well
Cobra
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:29 pm

I tried teal and woodies and it made no difference at all. I do throw out a dozen blacks but put them out in groups of 2 or 3 seperated from the mallards near the reeds and that seems to work pretty good.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 am

quote: next thing you know you'll have more than you can put out.

Dude, how true!! That made my day. If the lady only knew what I had in decoys, I would be in big trouble......
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 am

Weedwacker wrote:quote: next thing you know you'll have more than you can put out.

Dude, how true!! That made my day. If the lady only knew what I had in decoys, I would be in big trouble......

:thumbsup:

and I just bought 4 dozen more at an auction for $12. there were 18 carry lites and the rest are 'decoys unlimited". You can never have too many, Can you :huh:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smithsc1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 am

Weedwacker wrote:quote: next thing you know you'll have more than you can put out.

:ditto:

:yes: :grooving:

I have some old paper machae(?) dekes I picked up a while ago. There are some really reasonable decoys out there these days.
I like the black duck idea. I've seen lots of guys put out green heads and blue bills with good sucess.

Good luck,
Scott
smithsc1
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting