decoy spread

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

decoy spread

Postby twigzz88 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm

im thinking of mixing the spread up afte doing research i think, im going to pick up some teal,gaddie and pintail decoys. i dont know if there are many of any of them around southern michigan. Really i have 24 ghg hot buy mallards and a baby mojo, and a 3 duck jerk rig. so if you have any suggestions on spread fillers im more than willing to listen.

ps may hunt larger lakes in the later end of the season so what kidn fo divers do ya gusy think?
twigzz88
hunter

Re: decoy spread

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Bluebills, maybe a few Goldeneyes and/or Buffleheads
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby FeatherFanatic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Cobra wrote:Bluebills, maybe a few Goldeneyes and/or Buffleheads

bluebills and oversize buffles
R.I.P Dusty miller
You can never have to much money, calls, guns or honey holes
FeatherFanatic
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:38 am

Would say, get your puddler and possibly a floating goose rig organized/understood and set before heading into divers. To be effective at it one needs to realize it's an entirely different world for the most part, that is unless the next few years intent is more along the lines of the odd target of opportunity, observation and questioning if I really want to go this way. It can get expensive and fairly specialized if looking to be good at it
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I tried adding teal and woodies to my puddler spread and it made no difference at all.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:29 pm

I think everyone is failing to ask the most important question and that is where do you hunt and what birds do you see there? If all you see is Mallards then that's all you should have out IMO. Woodies don't typically decoy all that great so they are a waste IMO. My spread includes Mallards, Blacks, and Wigeons with a baby mojo, a shaker-butt decoy and a jerk rig and it works well. You also need to consider the size of your spread, which is usually dependent on the location and the time of the year.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Cobra » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Thought this was part 2 of his questions, oh well the boss is here
Cobra
hunter

Postby twigzz88 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:29 pm

well really all that i know i absolutly have seen is mallards, woodies, coots(i dont wanna shoot these), and buffl heads on some bigger lakes late in the year. Ive seen some smaller ducks in a good hole but ive always seen them late in the evening and it was a little too dark for me to make out what they were. I think my go to spot, is going ot end up early morning and later evening, at midday there isnt anything on it at all.
twigzz88
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:07 am

I get woodies and teal to decoy into my mallard spread all the time. I also get a lot of gadwalls and pintails in my spread with just mallards and a few black around the edges. you just have to be where the ducks want to be.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 am

Will advise that my time on the water shows that Golden Eyes pretty much only like to hang with other GE's. Now, I have them close to my puddlers, but not mixed in with my other divers. Later season, I only put my GE's out in a nice little pod or a short line of GE's near my hunting spot. If I am only seeing GE's (which happens up here) then I have the GE's in my shooting hole and mallards off to each side.

Put Bluebills and GE's out together last year, and could watch the GE's skirt the edge of the spread and land away or right at the last GE I had out. I put the BB's in a large pod, and the GE's off on there own and we shot two limits of GE's.

Hey, just my narrow view of a spread. I use Mallards always, everyone loves mallards!!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Cobra wrote:Thought this was part 2 of his questions, oh well the boss is here

:lol: I'm not the boss of this forum. I won't argue that birds will decoy to a spread full of other species, I'm just saying that in my experience it helps to replicate what you are seeing in terms of species and size in your spread.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Cobra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:44 am

:lol: :lol: Agree totally, just an advocate of showing something different in the heavily hunted/limited quantities of birds area that happens in the south central tier of counties. We get mixed flocks drifting through all the time for whatever reason, seems a reasonable idea to match the hatch as you imply. Granted you may not see certain birds on a daily basis but they are around, somewhere. In addition, showing a non standard, non generic rig in an area may be just the ticket to pull something off somedays when it's compared to the others rigs. No cut and dried, one ultimate answer for this but it has worked well over the past 20yrs or so for me when the mixed flocks started to appear. When in doubt try something a bit different. ~~~ Think we're up to part 4, question's being asked on other forums here as well. Hope he finds what he's looking for
Cobra
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:33 pm

While we're on the Topic Im looking to "finish" my decoy collection this year. Goal is to have a go anywhere in michigan setup.

Here's what I've got:
24 Mallards (lifesize)
6 Woodies (lifesize)
12 Bluebills (lifesize)
6 Goldeneye mag
6 Bufflehead mag
6 Cans mag
7 Floater Geese (lifesize)

Here's what I'm thinkin:
12 more Bluebills
12-18 Redheads
6 more Buffies (75% of last years bag)
6 more Goldeneyes (Still haven't shot one of these)
1-3 Full bodied geese (Bigfoot type, for the little one man island that I call a duck boat)
and a Puddler pack for a little variety

With rigging I figure that oughta run around under my $500 waterfowl budget for the year.
We all know how budgets go...................Any other suggestions? subtractions?

I plan on spreading myself around the state a little more this year including a couple Saginaw Bay trips, possibly Tawas Bay and if I'm feeling ambitious a closing weekend trip to the St Mary's river. Saw some amazing flights of divers while in college there in the late 90's. Suggetions for other Northern / Central Michigan venues also welcome.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 am

Ive seen this question asked allot on various boards and many many times the answer given is Black Ducks.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 pm

A-Bomb wrote:Ive seen this question asked allot on various boards and many many times the answer given is Black Ducks.

:hijack:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Explain to me how that is hijacking the thread. Guy is looking for filler decoys. I basically answered black ducks...Whats the problem? Its a simple suggestion. Geeze.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm

If I'm the hijacker then OOOPS Sorry. Just tryin to let em know what I got and may be looking for, along with other suggestions.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:54 am

A-BomB....Sorry, dude. I can explain. I was typeing the same thing you where at the same time you where. I hit the preview button to check my spelling becuase I am terrible when it comes to grammer and saw that you had just posted. The web site will show you if anyone has posted while your typing and it was funny that we where both thinking the same thing. Thats why I put the thead hijacked thing there later on in the day. Didn't mean anything by it. Forgive me? :thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:36 am

Its all good. :beer: :thumbsup: Its a misunderstanding. Those never happen on forums....ecspecially waterfowl related forums! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Well since you said you saw coots, get some coots. Not only do they work as confidence decoys, but they will bring in live coots that you can just let sit in your spread since you don't want to shoot them. Nothings more realistic then letting real ducks do the work for you.

Then if you get bored and there's some coots sitting around you can blast away at 'em.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:55 am

speaking of coots, there are record numbers of them this year so I might have to do some homework and search for a good way to cook them. (if there is one??)
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm

patrick.carrington wrote:speaking of coots, there are record numbers of them this year so I might have to do some homework and search for a good way to cook them. (if there is one??)

Pressure cooked with LOTS of onions, cut into cubes and toss in a slow cooked stew, not bad (works with Mergies also). Otherwise, tack breast to cedar board, toss in fire until charred, remove breasts, eat board. :rolleyes:
Cobra
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dude thats awesome!!! Could I do that stew in a croc-pot and how bad do I need to spice it up to kill the flavor?
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:47 am

patrick.carrington wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dude thats awesome!!! Could I do that stew in a croc-pot and how bad do I need to spice it up to kill the flavor?

Croc-pot is my way, but rarely shoot them and only then as a shooting slump buster, maybe. Flavor killing spices? Whatever it takes, Coot reminds me of the harsher side of liver. Bury it in a stew and you may not know it's even there :fingerhead:
Cobra
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:28 am

Have you ever tried to smoke them?
patrick.carrington
hunter

Next

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting