Hunting Blind on Public land/waterway?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hunting Blind on Public land/waterway?

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 am

OK, I have a question for the Michigan group.

In Michigan, can anyone use a blind (waterfowl) built on public property (in the water) even if it has the owners name posted inside as the law demands?

I have a call in to the local CO and Law department, but till I speak with them, what is your take?

I have hunted the same area for over 10 years out of my boat, now there is a blind built right in the center of the area, I am not angry, I just want to be able to hunt the area when this person is not.

Yes, I have tried to look up his name to contact him with no luck.....
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Hunting Blind on Public land/waterway?

Postby roughshot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:34 am

Here are the blind use rules from the 2009/2010 Waterfowl Guide.
• You may not erect or use a hunting blind on any public waters
without permanently affixing to the exterior, in waterproof
letters not less than three inches high, the name and address
of the person who placed it there. Any unoccupied blind on
the Great Lakes or Lake St. Clair may be used by the first
person to occupy it each day.
• You may not leave any hunting blind or part thereof anchored
or affixed to the bottomlands of any public waters within the
state of Michigan prior to Aug. 15 or later than Jan. 16.
• You may not hunt waterfowl with a firearm from a raised
platform except over submerged bottomlands. Blinds or
platforms constructed over public waters must meet marking
and removal requirements.
• You may not use or occupy a blind on the waters of the
state that does not comply with marking and placement
requiremets.
With that said, sure you can hunt that blind but be aware, you may be all set up and the owner my show up 10 min before shooting time and they will not be happy. :mad:
He may not show up but if that blind is not marked properly as stated above, you will be held responsible by the C.O. offering the ticket. :fingerhead:
Just a few things to keep in mind.
I hunt some public lakes with blinds on them. Typically I hunt those areas mid week or just after the weekend. I find that the owners of those blinds have been there busting birds over the weekend and that if I set up just 100 yrds away the birds are flareing on their blind and love to come right to my spread.
Happy hunting. :thumbsup:
roughshot
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks, but in IL the rule is 30 minutes prior to shooting time, the blind is open to who ever. BUT that is IL.

Yes, my thought was not to actualy hunt inside the blind but set up in front of it.

Not wanting to get into an earlier morning argument with another hunter that doesnt know the rules..... had that prior when a guy was an hour late and arrived just after shooting hour... Yea, I was the bad guy cause I was sitting in his spot for over an hour....
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm

I would avoid getting into a blind that someone else spent their time to construct and camo. Even if they are not there I would not hunt it. It can lead to nothing good at all.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Quite honestly....at least in MI, I don't give a crap about who's name is on the blind. If you aren't there and I want to hunt there guess what? Kudos to you if you want to build a permanent blind but guess what, if I beat you to it I'm hunting from there!
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:53 am

ajmorell wrote:I don't give a crap about who's name is on the blind. If you aren't there and I want to hunt there guess what? Kudos to you if you want to build a permanent blind but guess what, if I beat you to it I'm hunting from there!

exactly the kind of attitude we do not need in the marsh. have a little respect for the other hunters that put forth the effort to build a blind and then go build your own....

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 am

Well, the tone of the response might be hard, but I must say I lean that way when it comes to building something on public property in a limited area with hunting access.

What if the blind builder NEVER comes out to the blind, it is sitting in the middle of prime waterfowl grounds.

Heck it could have been built by PETA, to keep people from hunting???

What I am learning, GREAT lakes blinds are one thing, public water is another..

And I am not wanting to get into an argument at 5am either, cause I am not that type of person, but there must be some clear understanading of this, that would keep the attitudes from blowing up.

And, I work hard for my hunting and work hard for my birds!!!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:21 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
ajmorell wrote:I don't give a crap about who's name is on the blind. If you aren't there and I want to hunt there guess what? Kudos to you if you want to build a permanent blind but guess what, if I beat you to it I'm hunting from there!

exactly the kind of attitude we do not need in the marsh. have a little respect for the other hunters that put forth the effort to build a blind and then go build your own....

Not the tone I intended....I had a few more beers than I needed to last night. As far as hunting someone else's blind, yes I would do it. I wouldn't do it opening day, but any other time probably. I have built a blind or two myself and found people hunting out of them. It sucked because I had to find a new spot but they did beat me there. If someone showed up and really threw a fit over me being in their blind I probably would leave as it isn't worth the hassle, but I would be sure they were aware of the law first.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby pmarker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:25 am

I guess I do not understand the "beat them there" philospohy of those you did not build a blind. If I built the blind I should have some right to show up and hunt it? I am all for showing up early but as a waterfowler, I also respect other hunters hard work and respect them for their work. Therefore, give them the opportunity stated by the law to occupy the blind. If no one shows up then hunt it, yet respect the blind too. Do not go in the blind and trash it, take items out of it, nor "borrow" the camoflauge. Waterfowlers are very protective, like other hunters, but respect the work of others. Lastly, Aas a state moderator, you should not have a few "too many beers" and put out a reply like you did. Your post was in bad taste.
pmarker
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:42 am

pmarker wrote:I guess I do not understand the "beat them there" philospohy of those you did not build a blind. If I built the blind I should have some right to show up and hunt it? I am all for showing up early but as a waterfowler, I also respect other hunters hard work and respect them for their work. Therefore, give them the opportunity stated by the law to occupy the blind. If no one shows up then hunt it, yet respect the blind too. Do not go in the blind and trash it, take items out of it, nor "borrow" the camoflauge. Waterfowlers are very protective, like other hunters, but respect the work of others. Lastly, Aas a state moderator, you should not have a few "too many beers" and put out a reply like you did. Your post was in bad taste.

I'm not saying I would get there especially early to hunt someone else's blind. If I showed up an hour or less before legal time though and they weren't there I would only assume they were not hunting it for the day. I completely respect the effort people put into building blinds, as I've built one or two myself. As I mentioned earlier if someone showed up and I was hunting their blind I would at the very least offer them to hunt with me and if they pitched a fit I would leave to avoid the confrontation altogether.

FYI - I'm not the state moderator, and don't get on your high-horse telling me about what proper forum etiquette is, I've been around long enough to know.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby pmarker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 pm

I'll take your FYI as a few more beers again. Your right, not state moderator, sorry, but it says forum moderator. You add your advice but don't take advice well. Have fun jumping other hunter's blinds: how's that for my high horse :thumbsup:
pmarker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 am

For the record, the LAW officer for the area called me yesterday, nice guy.

The fact is, on public land anyone can hunt the blind. Yes, will issue come up if someone is in a blind of someones they built of course. But how do we handle that, if I built a blind then I should be out early and in my blind. THAT should NOT give that person the right to ASSUME that the blind will not be occupied 15 min prior to shooting hour,so if they show up at that time, THEY also have to be big boys and understand the rules of building on PUBLIC land. JUST the FACTS nothing more.

IF someone wants that assurance that the blind will always be thiers, then they should lease property, "that is quote from law officer".

Yes, we all should support each other and try to get along, but this goes both ways. Again in IL, opening weekend only the builders can hunt thier blinds, after that if owner is not thier 1/2 hour prior to shooting, it becomes an open blind. I like that, clear rules for everyone to follow.

I will go to this blind during the year when wind is right and if no one there it will be occupied by me. I put a lot of time in building my boat, decoys, engine and scouting. I am respectful and would never hurt the blind or anything......

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 am

pmarker wrote:I guess I do not understand the "beat them there" philospohy of those you did not build a blind. If I built the blind I should have some right to show up and hunt it? I am all for showing up early but as a waterfowler, I also respect other hunters hard work and respect them for their work. Therefore, give them the opportunity stated by the law to occupy the blind. If no one shows up then hunt it, yet respect the blind too. Do not go in the blind and trash it, take items out of it, nor "borrow" the camoflauge. Waterfowlers are very protective, like other hunters, but respect the work of others. Lastly, Aas a state moderator, you should not have a few "too many beers" and put out a reply like you did. Your post was in bad taste.

I'll fill you in on a little info. that the stance you are holding causes issues for the right of anyone to hunt public property.

The current law in MI is great in regards to blinds on public property, waters. I'll start off by saying that yes there should be an air of respect for someones blind opening weekend. If someone took the time to scout a location and then took the extra effort to build a blind, they should be entitled to hunt it out of mutual respect for their efforts on opening weekend. To say that they should be able to have exclusive use of the blind for the season is wrong.

Here in North Carolina this is what has occurred in some of the coastal counties (Counties down here can make specific local regulations regarding hunting.) Certain counties have dictated that the builder of a blind (or a person with their permission) is the only one that can legally hunt that blind....they even went so far as to add a provision that it is illegal to build a blind or even hunt within 500 yards of an existing permanent blind (this means no boat blinds or standing in the marsh grass).

What did this do? Well many of the coastal locals in these certain counties build blinds every 500 yards along the entire length of the coastal marshes. By definition a constructed blind can be as little as two 4x4 posts with a 2x4 affixed horizontally between them. This have pretty much made it impossible, for any other residents of NC that don't live along the coast, to hunt out in these coastal areas. In a way they have turned public waterways into private hunting grounds that only certain groups of people can hunt.

Can you imagine if this could occur in areas in MI such as Saginaw Bay or Lake St. Clair?

Value the law that MI has, because taking a stance such as your stating...lets just say...be careful what you wish for.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 am

Quick question, is the blind removeable or is it fixed and is it locked? Just to add to the topic a bit, I think to answer alot of questions, read the blind rules on the DNR website. I would post the link but for some reason it is not letting me. There is black and white that spells this out. My thought, no fixed blinds on public lands! All they do is creat conflicts. Who ever is the early bird, should get the worm. Blinds on public land just make it easy to be lazy with scouting because they know they have a place to go. I am not sure why people build them anyway. Ducks go some many different places to feed and roost that not being moblie is a handicap in my option. :huh:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby pmarker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 am

Hunting a permanent blind can be and is often successful. Hunt Saginaw Bay and you see blinds that are there year after year and are successful. These blinds are where birds want to be or can often times birds can be called to. What is interesting about Saginaw Bay is that the term "marsh turd" is often applied to slob hunters. They do not scout, they show up late, and respect others little. I understand if you do not hunt a blind that it should remain unused until you show up. Opening day excluded (super early), most hunters show up early. I would hope that if I spent time scouting, selecting a spot to set up a blind, and then maintain the blind that other hunters would allow me to hunt the spot. I have been on the other side of the coin too. I hunted a blind, owners showed up after first light, and our group packed up and left. Not the way I wanted to hunt but did create a bond with other group who said, "hunt anytime we're not here, thanks". Respect can go a long way even if it is not the law.
pmarker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Aparently it is just me on the other side of this one. At no time will I ever hunt someone elses blind unless I have prior permission from the builder. And a lot of days I have to get my daughters off to school and then hit the marsh so I show up at 8:15 and expect to hunt my blind that I built. The issue is that if I built it and show up and the squatter that was too lazy to scout and build his own blind refuses to leave than neither of us will have a very good hunt, if they choose to stay or leave is their choice, but I will hunt from my blind.

The other thing I have been seeing a lot of are old pontoons that have been converted to blinds and left in the bay for the season. These are NOT public property but are on the public waterway, I would consider it trespassing if you boarded my boat on the bay just as if you boarded my boat at my dock on the bay.

Then there are the guides that set up several blinds on the bay and I have seen some with locked entrances and shooting windows that you could not access easily from the water, so do you break down the door to squat in their blind that they have build to make a living? :fingerhead:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Aparently it is just me on the other side of this one. :

I'm with yea...... I wont ever hunt out of a blind that is not mine. That way you never have to worry about conflict.....EVER. My thought is still no fixed blinds on public land like it is in most states, it eliminates the hunter to hunter/ I got here first or this is mine BS. Yes, it may produce more ducks but which would you rather deal with, some other hunter that is pissed because your in his blind and him calling the DNR and not hunting at all that morning or just not hunting in a blind. Easy choice for me.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:12 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Aparently it is just me on the other side of this one. At no time will I ever hunt someone elses blind unless I have prior permission from the builder. And a lot of days I have to get my daughters off to school and then hit the marsh so I show up at 8:15 and expect to hunt my blind that I built. The issue is that if I built it and show up and the squatter that was too lazy to scout and build his own blind refuses to leave than neither of us will have a very good hunt, if they choose to stay or leave is their choice, but I will hunt from my blind.

The other thing I have been seeing a lot of are old pontoons that have been converted to blinds and left in the bay for the season. These are NOT public property but are on the public waterway, I would consider it trespassing if you boarded my boat on the bay just as if you boarded my boat at my dock on the bay.

Then there are the guides that set up several blinds on the bay and I have seen some with locked entrances and shooting windows that you could not access easily from the water, so do you break down the door to squat in their blind that they have build to make a living? :fingerhead:

I don't disagree with a thing you've said really. I said above that I would leave if the owner showed up, no questions asked, except for making sure they understand the law the way it was written. I agree about the pontoons - not public property. As for guides who've set up blinds, I'd be curious to know what the law says as far as locking them. The only time I would hunt another's blind is if I had already scouted the area and the only way I could hunt it was from their blind. Like I said earlier, I didn't intend my first post the way it came off.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:54 pm

ajmorell wrote:Like I said earlier, I didn't intend my first post the way it came off.

:thumbsup: understand :thumbsup:

I say the same thing about deer stands on public land, If I see one, not only will I not use it, But I will not walk in or out of the area past it just to prevent disturbing the fellow hunters and their area.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carsonr2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 am

I'll still stand by the public water, public blind....if I want to hunt that piece of water because I have scouted it and that is where the ducks want to be, I will hunt there. I may not use the (your) blind, as if I have a boat with me, it would be much more comfortable and fitted to my particular style.

Basically what you are trying to do by setting up a blind is claiming a piece of public property for private (exclusive) use. That is it. Building a blind doesn't mean that you worked any harder at scouting an area. This mentality of public land, private rights due to construction of a blind is B.S.

Be assured if I beat the builder of a blind out to the spot the ducks want to be, have a spread out and are geared to go....I would always welcome them to hunt with me/my crew, but I would not pack up and leave......it is public property I have every right to be there as they do...that is the law. :thumbsup:
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:51 am

"Basically what you are trying to do by setting up a blind is claiming a piece of public property for private (exclusive) use. That is it. Building a blind doesn't mean that you worked any harder at scouting an area. This mentality of public land, private rights due to construction of a blind is B.S.'
--------------------------------------------------
Yep, that is the issue, building is not ownership of that water or land, when built on public water or land!!! It is a two way street and again, the BUILDER needs to have respect and understanding of that when building. OR, go buy or lease your own property!!
Doesnt give the builder the upper hand when it comes to hunting the area, if you are there first, I have respect for anyone in blind or boat. But please dont come try and run me away when I am set up drinking coffee watching the sun come up and you are late thinking you OWN that area of water due to your blind. Cause, my cell phone is right in my hand for 911!!! Cause I am not going to argue the point very long with you....

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting