Lets put it to a vote! I'm fired up!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Ban hunting rights to blinds on public land?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Heck Yea!!
63%
Heck No!!
25%
Don't are either way.
13%

Total votes : 16

Re: Lets put it to a vote! I'm fired up!

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:in the little pond, if someone was to put up a couple of blinds we would still hunt our platforms if it was safe to do so or we would make sure we were on our platforms before they were in their blinds. like I said there were 3 groups on it and our platforms could have been considered blinds I guess. The reason for purchasing an 18' boat was because this hole dried up. Now we no longer hunt the marsh we just set up in the open water on the edge of the marsh.

It is still public land if I build a blind on it until I start paying taxes on it. And I am the public that is hunting that spot. Been that way for as long as I can remember and I have never had any issues at all with it. It soulds to me that you may have had a conflict at some point and now you have an issue with blinds on public land. there is plenty enough public land around for hunters to set up on anyway

And I have had more people get "my spot" in a boat than I ever have with a permanant blind. It can be frustration motoring out and finding someone set up in the perfect area you have been watching. so you just move a 1/4 mile away and set up in spot 2 or 3. i do not see why this is such an issue. :huh:

I understand your first paragraph. All I am saying is that it would make you mad if I put up a blind and claimed it making it very hard to hunt without peppering someone.

I get that it is still public land but if you do like the law states and put all the works on it to make it legal, than in my mind, it is no longer a public area but yet a private one that you dont pay taxes for because it is on public land and by law, you have the right to hunt it when your there. My point is that I dont like the idea that you can claim public land and I like the freedom of being able to work harder than the other guy to kill ducks. You have a 5 spot public area, you build a blind, you just took that number to 4 and you dont work at all to get a good spot.

last paragaph:That has happened to me more than not to but at least in that situation, they beat you, fair and square. That motivates me to work harder. If they build a blind, it doesnt matter how hard I work, they win.

I also think that our situations are alot different. We dont have alot of public land to choose from and private land it like asking for a miracle from a deer hunters. Kalamazoo and Calhoun county have some of the biggest deer herds in MI so asking for rights to a hunt is really hard which makes public land some of the only areas to hunt. I guess that is alot of the reasons why I have such a problem with this. To answer your last question, no it has never happened to me with a conflict and yes I have left a blind because it is the law but it has to my dad "alot" and he is an older guy that has a hard time finding areas to hunt because of lack of public marsh and and time to hunt.

Which brings me to this story which was caused by blind conflicts. My dad went the route of building a blind and making it legal so he would have somewhere to hunt and a few weeks later, someone was in it and wouldnt leave so he called me to see what to do. I have only heard my dad that angry a few times over the phone and most of the time it was toward me. I told him to call the CO and let them make them leave. Dad was not having this as it would ruin one of maybe 5 morning he gets to hunt. I that point my dad flipped. He had had it with duck hunting and fighting with disrepectful people for spots to hunt. My dad and his friend left that day to never duck hunt again but not without letting them know how they felt about them hunting out of there blind. They paddled back to the car and right before sun up came back in the boat and waiting for them to leave. After they left for the day and where picking up deks, my dad lit the blind on fire and they paddled away being cheared on buy the other hunting parties at the marsh. Funny but really, did that need to happen.

The other reason I have problems with it is an area that I hunt that isn't very big but holds a ton of ducks. When I first started hunting there in 2000, there where 2 blinds and everyone knew who they belong to and it was cool becuase they where old timers and good people. in 2003 there was a big conflict there about one of the blinds and after that, poop went down hill. buy 2005 there where 8 blinds in that marsh and they locked up all the public area to hunt. The worst part was, not a soul could do anything about it but get mad because of state law. My dad emailed me on one of my deployments. in 2006, there where no blinds in the marsh. Yep all 8 where burned down. Yet another silly outcome.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 am

Just to add a one thing. Dude, you and I and most on the MI furom are good people and would do the respectfull thing in all these situations. I dont think the problem is in blinds, it's with disrespectful hunter's and it sad that where always going to have those people. I think the only way to combat the disrepectful people, if we had a choice, is to take away there means to be a tard (IE blind claiming) but in hind sit, then you mess with everyone. I think this is one of those things that to cure, we need to get more people on board with being respectful. I think we all can agree on this. Cheers dude. :beer:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 am

Value the law that MI has, because taking a stance such as your stating...lets just say...be careful what you wish for.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If they ever pass a rule like you have in NC here in MI, I'm following Nugent to Texas. :yes:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:06 pm

carsonr2 wrote:
g_maxson wrote:
carsonr2 wrote:Blinds are fine on public land, because they are public blinds. First come first serve, end of story...that is the law...anyone can whine all they want, but that is it.

If they are left up past the deadline, and you have an issue with that blind. I would contact a CO, and if the name is on the blind give them the location and the name to the CO. If a name is absent from the blind, I would ask the CO if I could lawfully remove the blind from the water body.

True, BUT does anyone feel right about going into a blind you did not build? Just feels wrong.

IMO, you should just not be able to put blinds up on public land. In essence the owner feels as though they have not claimed that spot and any normal hunter would not want to hunt out of it because it almost feels like stealing and your just waiting for a confrontation with the owner the whole time you are out.

Anyone have any experience how Fish Point Lodge handles it? I'm sure they have to deal with it all the time.

You guys could not handle hunting in states like NC where once you put up a permanent blind and at least maintain it minimally every year you have sole rights to that spot and no once can setup within something like 400yds of it, even if you are not hunting it.

I agree with you 100%, they should not be allowed period. I was just going with the current law and my opinion on how it could be handled.

I live in NC now after hunting in MI for close to 20 years, and believe me Michiganders don't want the laws that some coastal counties have set up down here. This is a copy of what I posted in the similar thread in this sub-forum on North Carolina laws.

The current law in MI is great in regards to blinds on public property, waters. I'll start off by saying that yes there should be an air of respect for someones blind opening weekend. If someone took the time to scout a location and then took the extra effort to build a blind, they should be entitled to hunt it out of mutual respect for their efforts on opening weekend. To say that they should be able to have exclusive use of the blind for the season is wrong.

Here in North Carolina this is what has occurred in some of the coastal counties (Counties down here can make specific local regulations regarding hunting.) Certain counties have dictated that the builder of a blind (or a person with their permission) is the only one that can legally hunt that blind....they even went so far as to add a provision that it is illegal to build a blind or even hunt within 500 yards of an existing permanent blind (this means no boat blinds or standing in the marsh grass).

What did this do? Well many of the coastal locals in these certain counties build blinds every 500 yards along the entire length of the coastal marshes. By definition a constructed blind can be as little as two 4x4 posts with a 2x4 affixed horizontally between them. This has pretty much made it impossible, for any other residents of NC that don't live along the coast, to hunt out in these coastal areas. In a way they have turned public waterways into private hunting grounds that only certain groups of people can hunt.

Can you imagine if this could occur in areas in MI such as Saginaw Bay or Lake St. Clair?

Value the law that MI has, because taking a stance such as your stating...lets just say...be careful what you wish for.

The certain NC coastal county laws have myself, and so many natives down here upset. Some of the best hunting grounds in public navigable waterways are completely off limits. Absolutely ridiculous. (One note about NC navigable waterways law, it is legal to hunt any navigable waterway regardless of who owns the property along the shoreline (lakes and rivers)....that is one saving grace for NC.)

Off Hatteras, Ocracoke, even the western shore, Hyde county etc... It is rediculous with blinds.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:52 am

As there was a thread on this prior will keep this simple and to the point, my .02.

It is PUBLIC land or water, not private, thus the rules apply on both side, the builder must understand that by building DOES NOT give them exclusive rights to that spot or blind. Its PUBLIC not PRIVATE... If you get to a great spot prior to me, KUDOS to you and have a great hunt, but other then that, it is just a piece of material on PUBLIC property.

NUFF SAID on this, lets go hunting.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby pmarker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am

I'll throw a wrench into the works. I am not a person who hunts from my own blind but when in Saginaw Bay I hunt from a friend's blind. I have read this post and many others similar to it yet I have a question. If you read the guide as is, DECOYS, BLINDS, RAISED PLATFORMS
• You may not erect or use a hunting blind on any public waters
without permanently affixing to the exterior, in waterproof
letters not less than three inches high, the name and address
of the person who placed it there. Any unoccupied blind on
the Great Lakes or Lake St. Clair
may be used by the first
person to occupy it each day.
the guide does not talk about open waters other than those listed on the Great lakes or Lake St. Clair. Therefore, does the law/ guidelines apply to other bodies of water? I am in the midst of talking with our local CO and according to his interpretation the blind belongs to the owner and is not open to the first one first serve rule. Therefore, be careful when we assume that if you beat the owner of a blind to the spot that you are right. M CO said he would get back to me to calrify the rule. he wanted to talk with his boss. Good luck.
pmarker
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm

pmarker wrote:I'll throw a wrench into the works. I am not a person who hunts from my own blind but when in Saginaw Bay I hunt from a friend's blind. I have read this post and many others similar to it yet I have a question. If you read the guide as is, DECOYS, BLINDS, RAISED PLATFORMS
• You may not erect or use a hunting blind on any public waters
without permanently affixing to the exterior, in waterproof
letters not less than three inches high, the name and address
of the person who placed it there. Any unoccupied blind on
the Great Lakes or Lake St. Clair
may be used by the first
person to occupy it each day.
the guide does not talk about open waters other than those listed on the Great lakes or Lake St. Clair. Therefore, does the law/ guidelines apply to other bodies of water? I am in the midst of talking with our local CO and according to his interpretation the blind belongs to the owner and is not open to the first one first serve rule. Therefore, be careful when we assume that if you beat the owner of a blind to the spot that you are right. M CO said he would get back to me to calrify the rule. he wanted to talk with his boss. Good luck.

Great post, thats the same way i enturpet that rule. It states very specifically where a first come first serve activety is allowed. Therefore, i would think that on ANY other body of water that it is not ok to use someone elses blind...Thuse Patricks rant on this subject.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm

A-Bomb wrote:[
Great post, thats the same way i enturpet that rule. It states very specifically where a first come first serve activety is allowed. Therefore, i would think that on ANY other body of water that it is not ok to use someone elses blind...Thuse Patricks rant on this subject.

:lol: :lol: I don't complain very often but that law ecks me someth'n fierce! Let us know what that CO says. I have a feeling it might change some peoples view on this issue.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm

I know exactly where your coming from although it doesnt effect me as i hunt the great lakes most of the time. I dont hunt any permanent blinds out there as theres plenty of cover where we hunt and if there isnt, we put some where we want it and its gone when we leave.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby pmarker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry guys but according to the CO I talked to the law only applies to the bodies of water listed: the Great lakes and Lake St. Clair. As for other bodies of water the blind is to be hunted by the person/ people who put up the blind or with their permission. I don't want to see anyone get a ticket or get into a huge argument at the blind/ boat launch. I would still check with your local CO since even the guy I talked to says it is an iffy law at best. For blind owners he made it clear to print your name and address on the outside of the blind. No name/ address then fair game. Good luck.
pmarker
hunter

Postby manistique » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm new to this forum thing, so I'll apologize up front for any breaches of posting etiquette. This law has always confused me. Let's say I showed up on a public marsh one morning, found a good spot, pushed four sticks in the ground, and wrapped it with camo burlap. Then after hunting for the day, I took it all down and packed it out. Does this constitute "erecting a blind' on public waters, and therefore, would I need to hang my name and address in 3 inch letters on the side of the burlap? Or does this law only apply for permanent blinds?

Sorry to take this string in a slightly different direction, but this has always confused me. I'd appreciate your input.
manistique
Newb

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 pm

pmarker wrote:Sorry guys but according to the CO I talked to the law only applies to the bodies of water listed: the Great lakes and Lake St. Clair. As for other bodies of water the blind is to be hunted by the person/ people who put up the blind or with their permission. I don't want to see anyone get a ticket or get into a huge argument at the blind/ boat launch. I would still check with your local CO since even the guy I talked to says it is an iffy law at best. For blind owners he made it clear to print your name and address on the outside of the blind. No name/ address then fair game. Good luck.

:huh: Is that because technically only the great lakes and lake st. clair are considered public water open to hunting or what?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:57 pm

ajmorell wrote:
pmarker wrote:Sorry guys but according to the CO I talked to the law only applies to the bodies of water listed: the Great lakes and Lake St. Clair. As for other bodies of water the blind is to be hunted by the person/ people who put up the blind or with their permission. I don't want to see anyone get a ticket or get into a huge argument at the blind/ boat launch. I would still check with your local CO since even the guy I talked to says it is an iffy law at best. For blind owners he made it clear to print your name and address on the outside of the blind. No name/ address then fair game. Good luck.

:huh: Is that because technically only the great lakes and lake st. clair are considered public water open to hunting or what?

This is why I hate that rule. He said what I though he would say. Those that think you can just hunt any blind are in for tickets come the season if the blind owner shows up and the blind is legally marked. Stupid, Stupid rule.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 pm

I guess I'm a bit confused still. So if someone has a blind on public property....it's no longer public property? I thought for sure that deer blinds/tree stands on public property were open to first come first serve (according to the rule, not by ethics)?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:28 pm

ajmorell wrote:I guess I'm a bit confused still. So if someone has a blind on public property....it's no longer public property? I thought for sure that deer blinds/tree stands on public property were open to first come first serve (according to the rule, not by ethics)?

I'm also confused still. Lets say you get to a spot first on morning, and set up 15 yards from a blind. If the blind owner shows up and wants to hunt his blind, what do you do?
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:30 pm

It says you cant hunt his blind, not that you cant hunt near it. If your there first that day, tough cookies for the other chap, blind or no blind. Its public property, first come first serve period! The guy would do two things, be a **** and get in the blind or go hunt somewhere else. He should do option two if he has any kind of ethics at all.

As far as their ruling on public waters, i dont see why they single out the great lakes and lake st. clair. Why should it matter if im hunting a blind on a beaver pond on public property in the U.P. or a blind someone put up on Saginaw Bay? Theyre both public land/water, why is there different laws?...This is a stupid rule and obviously a confusing one for law enforcement as well. They should do the same thing they did with the 2 rod rule for warm water species and 3 rod rule for salmon and trout. It was a hassel for law enforcement to determine what a person was fishing for in areas where species overlapped. So, they opened it up to 3 rods per man to clarify the rules and make law enforcement cut and dry. Seems they should take a page from that mentality here and make it all the same. Less confusion for hunters as well as law enforcement. Or dont allow permanent blinds and mandate that they be portable only on public lands/waters.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:30 am

A-Bomb wrote:Or dont allow permanent blinds and mandate that they be portable only on public lands/waters.

I like this idea the best. :thumbsup:
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby pmarker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am

Don't lose sight of the topic. Trying to make an analogy between waterfowl hunting and deer hunting is bound to create confusion since the laws are not the same. As for hunting a blind I don't see why calling the owner ahead of time to see if he will be there is such a big issue. As a waterfowler, I constantly cruise backroads with my platbook looking for places to hunt. Call the owner of the blind and see if they will be there when you want to hunt. I know someone will address the private landowner vs. public waters but since the rule says the owner of the blind has permission then it is saying the blind is private. Etiquette is key here. No one likes the hunter who sets up late, to close to you, skybusts birds over other people's dekes, calls at everything in the sky including seagulls and rains pellets down on you. However, most guys who hunt are not slobs. Most hunters are probably okay if you ask permission (for both the blind owner and the non blind owner respect for each other is key since we all enjoy the same sport). Lastly, the rule applies only to permanent blinds over bodies of water so portable blinds do not need names on them if they are removed.
pmarker
hunter

Postby manistique » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks Pmarker! I appreciate the feedback on the permanent versus portable distinction.
manistique
Newb

Postby pmarker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am

no problem with the help. I hope to see more guys, waterfowlers, work together to clarify rules the get at each others throats. Good luck this season.
pmarker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:11 am

This is not governed by the CO, i spoke directly with the LAW OFFICER for my county with the DNR and he advised me that it is HIS to govern and advise on.

It is on public water.

Again, what keeps PETA from building blinds all over the state and never using them so that they can secure that hunters do not hunt........

Guess we will see what happens, but to put this blind right in the middle of the best area to hunt is rude to assume it is now THIER area only to hunt. I will not set up close, its not my style, but i will set up in/on/next to this blind as it is on public land.

Peace out dudes, be safe out there.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby pmarker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 am

Newer update from my last post. Sat. I went to a party and low and behold met a CO. I talked with him about this subject and he called his boss while I was standing there. After a brief discussion the CO reiterated what I posted earlier. He said they had received a call the prior week from a hunter who was upset that a blind was erected in a spot he likes to hunt. After the hunter contacted Lansing for a ruling, the state contacted the local CO because the hunter threatened to destroy the blind (the hunter is pissed). Irony, wven though the hunter did not build a blind he still thought the spot was his???? The CO related to us that a hunter cannot at any time occupy the blind, and if he does he will be cited. This particular blind is not on the Great Lakes nor Lk Saint Clair. I then asked the CO if this ruling falls under his jurisdiction, asked because of weedwackers last post, and he said he would be the one to do the leg work if there was a problem. Just another nugget of wisdom. Good luck this weekend.
pmarker
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:40 am

This law is fun once you understand it! Anyone ever heard of someone tring to fight the rule?
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 am

Well, that makes me feel better that i at least interpeted it correctly.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Previous

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting