10/22/05

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

10/22/05

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:04 pm

Hit a 300+ acre public lake that was wall to wall skybusters last weekend, had it to ourselves. Can't believe they've given up so soon but am not about to complain. Saw more birds than expected, some were definetly non-local Mallards. Had plenty of birds in range/dekes before hours but couldn't get them close after hours started. Wind stopped at dawn and the dekes looked like dekes, lake was like glass and I left the motion stuff at home :oops: . Did have a solo drake Redhead skirt the outside of the rig a few times, usually never see them this early, if at all. And naturally we could have busted a bunch of honkers, swear they know the regs. Very few shots heard at all today.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:13 am

Lately, I've been finding opening weekend to be a madhouse, and then things quiet down quite a bit......come to think of it, most of the guys I see out on opening weekend don't have decoys, dogs, or duck calls. Wonder how I can get them interested in football, or bowhunting.......................... :yes:
Glad you had a good day......I'm heading out later in the week; hopefully I will get some birds to decoy and maybe even bag a bird or two.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Mr Shot » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:26 am

I noticed a less pressure this weekend as well. I was lucky to have a few birds decoy on Friday. On Saturday saw nothing until I was picking up the decoys, two mallards practically buzzed me. They knew I did not have my gun. I think they were laughing at me. :mrgreen:
Mr Shot
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:26 am

If you figure out how to get those guys intrested into football let me know I seem to be getting cut off by these guys when the birds just start to work my decoys and then the skybusting starts. All the work I put into setting up decoys in the nasty muck (without a boat) and calling, and these jokers come out without anything but a gun! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: And let me ask you this, how do you shoot a duck that dies and lands in the water and you have no dog and no waters! These are the kind of hunters that make me want to stop wasting my time and money hunting. Well my rule is if I fetch or clean it I keep it!
pike_mazter
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting