UP Opener

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

UP Opener

Postby Busman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 am

27 hours to opening Day. Well the grain fields are 90% harvested and winter wheat fields 95% planted in my area. Winter wheat fields are starting to turn green good feed for the birds this year. I am seeing good numbers on Mallards and a lot of Black ducks in the fields this year. Hoping the winter wheat field will score more snow geese this year. We shot a few snows last year first time in ten years or so I have seen snow geese on the area fields.
Busman
hunter

Re: UP Opener

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 am

Good luck up there, i hope you have a fantastic hunt. Make sure to take some pictures! :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby JIMMYK1978 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 am

I can't wait, Leaving for the UP in 2 hours, I wish you all the best of luck for the opener and the season. The battle begins
JIMMYK1978
hunter

Postby Busman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 am

Well got off work late and friends did not get out to field early enough take claim to the spot I wanted. So it was not a good morning for me. So plan B was a half disced winter wheat good field seen good number of birds poor setup. Need pit blind or layout blind to hunt the field good. Birds wanted to land 40 yds out from the decoys. Laughed at the site in the field I want to hunt. It was a fresh cut oat and barley field with barley all harvested and oat half harvested. Ok here the site I seen 15 hunter in the straw down the center of the field with 10 vehicles parked along the edge of a 20 acre field. And they wonder why the bird would not decoy very well go figure.
Busman
hunter

Postby JIMMYK1978 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Well everything went well on the East side of the UP for us. We were only able to hunt Saturday but with 3 guys did fairly well. We finished the day with 11 mallards, 8 mergansers, and 1 green winged teal. The dog was exhausted on the ride home.

Hope this is an indication of the season to come.
JIMMYK1978
hunter

Postby pc1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:58 pm

we hunt the duck opener in germfask and did well we shot 17 wish i could get a goose field up their.do most of my goose hunting in st.ignace and rudyard.
pc1
hunter

Postby mikedehner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 am

I did great up in the UP. I hunted the Engadine area, and limited on ducks on 26,27,28. I have never done that well. Lots of variety. Ringnecks, widgeon,mallards, wood ducks, blue wing, green wing, shovelers. It was awesome. Heading to ND on Thursday.
mikedehner
Newb

Postby pc1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am

we also shot a mixed bag about the same. going hunt over their again this weekend :thumbsup:
pc1
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting