Goldeneye - Canvasback

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Goldeneye - Canvasback

Postby Adventurer79 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Not looking for specifics but these two have eluded me so far. Looking to change that this year. I know there around esp later in the season. Scouting I've seen them occasionally but with no regularity. I'm planning on a Saginaw bay trip in November and hoping this will take care of them. Any input on timelines or general areas to look into for this year? I'd like to get em in NW Mich but if I've gotta travel I will
Adventurer79
hunter

Re: Goldeneye - Canvasback

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am

Adventurer79 wrote:Not looking for specifics but these two have eluded me so far. Looking to change that this year. I know there around esp later in the season. Scouting I've seen them occasionally but with no regularity. I'm planning on a Saginaw bay trip in November and hoping this will take care of them. Any input on timelines or general areas to look into for this year? I'd like to get em in NW Mich but if I've gotta travel I will

Cans are elusive little buggers, but I think a lot of it has to do with where you hunt. I've only seen 1 can up here in the last 3 years. We have shot maybe 4 or 5 goldeneyes over the last 2 years but only 1 drake.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby DuxLastSight » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:25 pm

see em all the time lay out huntin in sebewaing
'10 Totals

Mallards-0
Black Ducks-0
Woodys-0
Redhead-0
Blue Bills-0
B.W. Teal-0
G.W. Teal-0
Geese-4
Bands-0
DuxLastSight
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:18 am

GE's, see my profile picture. Limit of GE's last weekend of regular season of Michigan season. Not in a lay out boat, they are around and big dudes!!

Good luck.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby JIMMYK1978 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:09 pm

We usually do pretty good on them later in the season on any lake that connects to Lake michigan. Wait for a good blow and we usually get them coasting in checking things out.
JIMMYK1978
hunter

Postby JIMMYK1978 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:11 pm

sorry on Goldeyes that is, If you find the Canvasbacks let me know
JIMMYK1978
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 pm

We pound the heck out the goldeneyes, but they use very specific areas of the Bay. As for Cans, I've been hunting Sag Bay for 30 years and have not shot a mounted. I've shot a lot that look good until you start looking the neck and side pockets over and start finding pin feathers. For a prime Can your really talking late Dec/Jan. Eyes are usually good by end of Nov. What I'm trying to say is not to count on scoring either.
g_maxson
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting