Incredible opening day!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Incredible opening day!

Postby Brent » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Hello:

I had to share about my northern LP opener, thanks for reading.

Legal shooting time was 7:02 and I had my limit at 7:10- three woodies, two green heads and a hen. It was incredible. I've never had an opener like it.

My dad, unfortunately, missed out on that mayhem as he had chosen a different spot to stand (I was about 12 feet behind our mojo) but while I canoed out to pick up my birds I moved him and as soon as we tucked back in he got a few. That was really fun to watch as he was using a gun my wife and I bought him last year that he is really proud of.

Last year I was in the same spot but learned a valuable lesson- then I used 3.5" #2 Kent Fasteel- a great load for my usual pass shooting but not ideal for over decoys. I had a good 2008 opener but know my load/choke combo was making things harder. This year I used 3" Hevi-Shot #6's through I/C and it was dropping ducks like an atomic bomb.

Like all of us I have had a lot of slow days and frankly it felt great to have all the scouting, early departure and careful decoy spread planning work out. I'm still worked up.

The second day was a different story- very, very little shooting and no moving birds. Oh well. Got one mallard that came in while we packed up.

Anyone else have a great day?

Brent
Brent
hunter

Re: Incredible opening day!

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am

We went up to haymarsh state game. NEVER AGAIN will I go and hunt there without finding a spot way off the main area. we didn't have time to scout so we went to a few know areas. We killed 2 ducks all weekend. 2. The worst year ever for us. It wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't have guys shooting at everything they could see. Ducks working our deks and two different groups started shooting at them. Over 100 yards away!!!!!! they started shooting. Is it just me or are people getting more and more to the point of not careing how they act when hunting?
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting