Hope you read this!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hope you read this!

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am

If you are the guys we called the DNR on for shooting a commerant, I really appreicate the flat tire our trailer :mad: If you are the friend of that person or that person, I have news. We carry a spare set of tires for the trailer in the truck so you took 2 min, 3 sec out of our lifes to chance the tire. I just wanted to remind you that you have an awesome ticket worth alot of money to the state :wink: . Let us know how much it was for and why the CO followed you out to the boat launch. :tongue: Wish I could have seen it.

We dont call the law much but I have had it with disrespectfull hunters on public water and I hope more people that do follow the law and are good ethical hunts do the same as we did. When you shoot ducks at 100 yards away over our spread and talk smack to us when we shout, "please let the birds work", I got mad but o well, I could have delt with your really bad ethics but to shoot a commerant, and talk more smack and then shoot at more birds just to scare them away from us and for the last thing, just leave the dead commerant in the water and make no attempt to go pick it up knowing that you just broke the law, you put us over the top. If you break the law around us, the CO is on the way. You never know who is watching you. OH yea, the guys that got busted 31 birds over the limit :clapping: :fingerhead:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Re: Hope you read this!

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Wow, just wow. That is rediculous to hear that something like that would happen (both shooting of the Commerant and your flat tire). I hate to even admit I'm a duck hunter when I hear about people like that. I can understand accidentally shooting an extra hen mallard or one more of a species on accident, esp. this time of year when birds aren't in plumage but a commerant?...c'mon. I'm by no means saying that shooting 2 hen mallards is okay (for 1 guy anyway) but it happens, and as long as your aren't the guy who leaves it out in the marsh and can admit your wrongdoing it's a little different story than shooting a commerant or 31 birds over your limit!
:mad: End Rant....
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Cobra » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Unfortunate but starting to be the way it's getting on heavily hunted public waters and why, reluctantly I've avoided them the last few years. Taking the quick release pin/bar from the hitch out happened the last 2 trips to a one time great body of water in Kazoo Cty, it's welded in now. Become way to competitive and cut throat for too few birds for this old timer. Favorite is when they come in late and drop a guy or 2 off 30yds downwind from your dekes and shoot at birds you pull, then TELL you to go get it for them since the waters deeper than their waders if they happen to even hit one. Screaming out of tune High Balls as birds head for your rig from the other side of the lake is another favorite, if they can't pull them than no-one will.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby JIMMYK1978 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm

I think people need to remember what duck hunting is about and sportsmanship that goes with it. We represent our sport and it is good ethical hunters that give us a good name. But as usual it is the bad that is remembered by the rest of the world. I can not say that I am perfect but I obey the laws and try to be gracious to other hunters who enjoy this same great sport. Sure I have lost a spot on public water in the morning, it sucks but I am smart enough to do my scouting and have back up spots for just that reason. Hunt with respect for others and we will all have a better time.
JIMMYK1978
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi guy's, I was on the lake that morning too, and like you say, I couldn't believe it when we heard the shots and saw a huge splash in the water. (and we were hunting half way up the lake) No one went out to get it. We wern't sure what it was, but even from our distance we knew it wasn't a goose, (we thought either commerant or loon) At the time we wern't sure just what was going on, since we were up the lake. But I remember seeing a truck and boat trailer flying out of the park - down that pot holed gravel road, and thinking, WOW, that guy is tearing up his trailer and boat! (he was probablty tearing up the DNR's new boat and trailer - I would guess they got his gun too)

That was the first time I ever hunted that lake, and the most people I've ever hunted around. Still very cool lake and swamp below (just not on opening day) Got our limits on Woodies and squirrells too.
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am

Yep that was the DNR. We talked to some guys at a camp site, said he was glassing the lake when his radio went off, he started sprinting through the woods to get to his truck/trailer. I was impressed. It only took him 30min from the time we called the poaching hotline to the time he showed up to issue the ticket. I just want to say, I hate driving the bus. This would have been a way different story if they where just some cool guys that just made a "woops", retrieved the bird and went on about life, but they where being just complete...(fill in the blank). Anyway, where you on the top of the dam or the bottom. We hunted the bottom of the dam opening morning. What a ducky looking place, my God. Can't wait to see it a few weeks into the season when the birds have a chance to settle a bit.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby DeadWater » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 am

I would never turn anyone in for shooting a cormorant alone. However it sounds like this guy DEFINATLY had this coming and got his in the end.
Dan

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."---Patrick Henry
DeadWater
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm

We were above the dam (about half way up the lake) both days. We scouted Friday and picked a spot below the dam in the swamp, (saw a ton of birds) but when we saw all the lights out there in the morning (looked like a city) we went to plan "B" and set up on the lake.
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:01 am

We hunted backus lake in the morning and i seen a cormorant coming across the water, I hit the goose call about 3 times and the guys back in the mouth of the river started in on it. we started laughing and I told the other guys to keep watching, Sure enough they dropped it. then in the afternoon we moved over to reedsburg dam and got some more woodies. I would not care if these guys shoot 100's of those fish eaters...But if they were being idiots than I would place a call

We got stopped at reedsburg and checked out, My son had left his license in his other truck so she ran him thru the computer. It came back with some issue and when he told her He bought his license at Dunhams she said that that explaines the issue and that she sees a lot of license issues from the big box stores. No ticket but he did have to stop in the roscommon office and show her his license earlier this week.

we were told that they Banded 200 woodies on Backus lake earlier in the year. We did not get lucky enough to get any of those bands...
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 pm

DuckFlyer wrote:We were above the dam (about half way up the lake) both days. We scouted Friday and picked a spot below the dam in the swamp, (saw a ton of birds) but when we saw all the lights out there in the morning (looked like a city) we went to plan "B" and set up on the lake.

Yea, we should have done the same. They scouted alot of birds friday but almost 1/3 of that showed up down there on sat. From the sounds of it you guys had a pretty good saturday. We heard alot of shooting from that direction.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting