Engadine Mi, going on first duck hunt this season.

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Engadine Mi, going on first duck hunt this season.

Postby crdroste » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 am

tomorrow I'm going down to meet my dad around Engadine Mi, I'm big into go goose hunting, and this is the first year im actually going to try and hunt ducks instead of just jumping them out of puddles. And i'm not sure what to expect, or how to prepare and set up, we have a small pond that turns into a swampy area that we will likely be hunting.
i was wondering if any one is from the area or has hunted in the UP recently can tell me what to expect as far as duck and goose numbers are in the area, and how many decoys (weather to use small spread-4 or our larger spread-18 which is all of our decoys). any help would be greatly appreciated.
No, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. So watch and learn.
crdroste
hunter

Re: Engadine Mi, going on first duck hunt this season.

Postby roughshot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Don't know about the birds in Engadine but I'm not too far away and the birds are wise and no fresh birds in sight by the weekend. If I was you I would put out small pods of 3 and 4 deks, spread 15 to 25 yards from eachother in a hoop around your shooting hole. Don't mix your geese with your ducks, geese & ducks flared on that for me this past weekend. After day break if you see the ducks are in tight with more numbers, mirror that, if they are spread in double, tripples and singles, make your decoys match. best of luck
roughshot
hunter

Re: Engadine Mi, going on first duck hunt this season.

Postby crdroste » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 am

thanks, I was thinking would be better having a small spread i just wasn't sure, if we can just get a few birds i will consider it a success, and if the ducks aren't coming in i still got Grouse. :smile:
No, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. So watch and learn.
crdroste
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting