Southern Opener

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Southern Opener

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Just wanted to wish everyone luck on tomorrows opener for the south zone. Be safe and shoot straight!

Oh, and take lots of pics to post up for everyone to see
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Re: Southern Opener

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Good luck to you as well. Stack em up! :lol: :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:44 pm

well 4 of us ended with 12 mallards, 6 gwt, 1 bwt, and 1 goose. would of had limits if shooting was better. but cant complain for hunting public land and a blue bird day. how did you guys do?
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:01 pm

I got a pair of woodies and and hen and drake mallard this morning. Only used 5 shells too! I passed on several shots because of other hunters being in the background and had about 15 in the decoys at shooting time but couldnt identify them so they took off when someone else started shooting.

What really sucked this morning was the kid that couldnt call for his life. I'll bet you that in the floor of the boat or in the car was the package to that call, along with the receipt dated yesterday. Worst part was he called nonstop ALL morning. He attempted to call in swans and cranes with his sad excuse for a goose call, and crows with his duck call. I'm not a great caller myself, and with it being so crowded i left it in the blind bag. Turns out I shot the most ducks of anyone on the lake

Hunted tonight also, got a big goose egg. Literally. I actually think its an egg from a sandhill crane due to its size

Egg next to a 3" 12ga shell
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Whatta day. Lots of hunters, sky busting to no end, and very few birds. Looks like all the pressure pushed em out during the overnight camp out by these fellas. Had to change things up and do some serious mud lugging of boats in some rugged marsh. Ended up with 11. Mixed bag of 3 Mallards, 3 Wood Ducks, 3 Hooded Mergs, 1 Black and 1 Wigeon. Ill tell ya, for a 27 year young man, i feel like im about 127 right now. Ive been in some ugly marsh, but today takes the cake. But, when theyre cupped and locked its all worth it. Heading to bed and sleeping in in the AM. Ill be back after em on Monday when all the yahoos go to work. Some of the sky busting and calling sequences(if thats what you call that) today were simply attrotious. And people wonder why birds are educated. :huh: :no:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Hunted Saturday morning with my dad and we ended up with 6 woodies, 2 mallards and a gadwall. This morning we ended with 3 woodies, 1 mallard and a goose. Not bad. Just a little blue bird
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting