Hunter harassment on opening day

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hunter harassment on opening day

Postby pmarker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 am

Did anyone else run into this on opening day: from non hunters? My hunting buddy and I found out on Friday night that a local company had closed off half of the boat launch and planned an outing on Croton Pond in Newaygo. I launched my boat Friday night to avoid the confusion Sat. morning and when we arrived to the launch Fri. the company had 75-100 canoes blocking 1/2 the launch plus their work truck was blocking the only way to the launch. Low and behold, on Sat. from 5 am to just before shooting light we had canoes and kayaks floating through our decoy spread despite waving people off with flashlights etc. I talked with another hunting group, who were real mad, and this group overheard the director at the launch thanking the people for volunteering Sat. morning. We were wondering if the outing was staged by an antihunting group. Saw no birds through our spread, and the other group shot one duck. Let me know what you think?
pmarker
hunter

Re: Hunter harassment on opening day

Postby duckgun » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:55 am

it would be quite the undertaking to launch [pardon the pun] a purposeful coordinated outing like this for maybe a handful of sports out there?maybe it was for charity or some such. you could of asked politely of course ,i hunt a public lake while it is mine during most of season, fisherman never fail to drift back and forth or troll back and forth just a few hundred feet away as if that is giving me elbow room!i always see ducks flying when they pause to long and a volley or two seems to make them nervous, and they move on. :fingers: you would think with the economy of Mich being what it is the anti's may have more pressing personal issues to be involved with then these kinds of activities.good luck with rest of season.
duckgun
hunter

Postby pmarker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 am

I talked with the company today and they are under pressure from hunters and the DNR. The manager said they knew about opening day and said they tried their best. What I found confusing with our conversation was when I told her where I was at, she said no one should be up there. If it was one or two canoes okay, but a steady stream of lost people. Also, the other hunting groups I talked to said that the canoes were stationary in traditional hunting locations until legal time then left. The canoes often times flashed lights as if indicating someone was hunting there. I agree it would be hard to stop everyone but many odd things happened.
pmarker
hunter

Postby DeadWater » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm

PM sent
Dan

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."---Patrick Henry
DeadWater
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Well this is not a huge surprise. I own a cottage in the area and stopped hunting Croton last year. On the special two day hunt in JAN, there was three groups of hunters hunting the only open water. One was UNDER THE BRIDGE/CAUSEWAY (unreal) one was in a layout boat that was between the boat ramp and the gas station- Croton Trading Post, and last one near the portage area. I drove down when I heard the shots and spoke to two of the groups (standing at the boat ramp...) and advised them that they were to close to occupied buildings and that township was getting pissed about it.

Also, the groups hunting there (not all) during the season have become very nasty and rude. I dont go hunting to have this crap, I would rather sit on a small pond and knock one bird down then to deal with it.

Let me ask you, was it the Chicago Church with the canoes as they hold quite a bit of outings now that they purchased the old deer farm?

I came back over the causeway around 2pm on Saturday and never saw anything out of sorts.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby pmarker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:57 am

It was not run by the church. It was a company in Newaygo hosting a race. I talked with the compnay and they apologized, but they also said they were aware that Sat. was opening day. As for the 2pm question you're right they were gone right at legal shooting light (real odd). This is confirmed from groups all over the Croton area. Like I said the boat launch had some angry hunters (about 11 am)
pmarker
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:38 am

That stinks, but just because it is opening day does not mean all canoe traffic should stop.

One location we hunt get's lot's of boat traffic during the year from fisherman. We expect it, can't expect people to stop fishing just because we are duck hunting. Now if they are staying within range and fishing, I would consider that harassment, but having people canoe by is not.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Guess I am confused or there is a misunderstanding, who plans a canoe trip at 5am in the morning......
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Guess I am confused or there is a misunderstanding, who plans a canoe trip at 5am in the morning......

PETA, Humane Society, Holier than thou back to nature yuppie anti's...................on a smaller basis it goes on often
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby DeadWater » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 am

It was a group out of Pentwater MI. Every year they do a 15 hour "adventure race" which starts on the water with canoe testing then moves on to mountain biking, roping skills and orienteering. They're races start at 3 a.m. so they must be every bit as challenged as us duck hunters.

They seem legit, I looked it up on google(15 hour adventure race MI) and came up with an entry form. They had all the needed permits from NWS.

The story is, they normally race in July but could'nt this year because of permit issues. Still sucks that they screwed up you guys opener though. Hope this helps.

They werent aware this was the opener till friday.

Dan
Dan

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."---Patrick Henry
DeadWater
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 am

Well that sounds much better and factual. Thanks

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting