Little Bay de Noc - 2004 Opener

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Little Bay de Noc - 2004 Opener

Postby HappyHawk » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:00 pm

Got up north to hunt the opener this past weekend. It was my first hunt in over 10 years. Let me tell you...the fever is BACK!!!

Saturday was a great hunt for our group of three. Sunday we should have stayed in bed!!!

We hunted the mouth/marsh of the Whitefish River on Little Bay de Noc. Both days.
Saturday the birds were moving. We ended up with 2 Geese, 3 Wood Ducks, 5 BW Teal, and one Wigieon. The wind was out of the north/north west and had the birds moving a bit. Once the sun came out from behind the clouds at 9:30 or so, the shut down!

Sunday we only ended up with one Wood Duck. Missed on 2 Mallards.
We need a bit of cold weather! Can't wait to get back up there on the 8th!

Good Luck to all!
HappyHawk
hunter

Postby Layout » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:15 pm

Sounds like you guys had a good opener. :thumbsup:

I've never hunted the mouth area, but I've hunted out of Nahma and we usually layout shoot Little Bay De Noc later on in the season when the divers really start to show up.

Feels good to be duck smashing again eh!
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby HappyHawk » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:04 pm

Layout- Thanks for the post reply! Couple of questions on the diver hunting...I will be going back up on the 10-14th of Nov. and would like to "share" some info if you don't mind...sent you a PM.

Just got back today from two tough days of hunting up on the mouth of the Whitefish. Saturday, ended up with one GW Teal. Quite a few ducks moving but I was the only one out there, so no one to push them around a bit. Sunday ended up with one Ringneck and one GW teal. Lots of Mallards moving around today in addition to GW teal.

Good luck to all!
HappyHawk
hunter

Postby Layout » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:52 pm

Happyhawk you have diver info. in the form of a PM.

Are there any huge flocks of ducks flyin' in open water in LBDN?
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby bwalker » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:29 pm

I have always had better luck on BDN hunting the stonington peninsula or over by ford river. Ogontz is right around the corner as well and is very good.
bwalker
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting