hunting stinks

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

hunting stinks

Postby quacker_smacker90 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:41 pm

I live in the thumb and have been huntin almost every weekend since the opener and have only shot one duck. i havent even seen that many.we need a big storm hopefully soon get some ducks moving our way. the late goose season should be great i havent seen that many geese like i useally do.
quacker_smacker90
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:16 pm

I live in the thumb too cept we've shot 58 ducks and 7 geese so far just hunting fish point and potholes
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:53 pm

We've had no fronts to push anything down yet, it was 65* again today, it's the middle of November :pissed: . Looks like there is some weather coming thru this week so it should start picking up, then probably happen all at once. The locals have had enough, all my private pot-holes have dried up over the last couple of years, honkers everywhere and you can't touch them, oh well. Still beats sitting at home though :thumbsup: .
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Yeah mostly all of my birds where early I will post if I see any action coming down.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:47 pm

i don;t know but down here in the south east im gettin them
30 ducks
9 geese just for me and going out tom. in that nice storm should cut them up good
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter6 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Up here in the saginaw bay me, my dad, and our buddies. bout 6 of us have shot upwards of 100 ducks..have had a GREAT season so far! :thumbsup:
Hunting for divers is a true mans hunt..
duckhunter6
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Yeah this ice sucks. All the ducks up here left us.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby duckhunter6 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:12 pm

Deadeye_youth wrote:Yeah this ice sucks. All the ducks up here left us.

i hunt the saginaw bay.And with my 19' boat i have to problem getting out..im still slaying the divers so idk what ur talking about!
Hunting for divers is a true mans hunt..
duckhunter6
hunter

Postby quacker_smacker90 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:52 pm

i went out this morning to a river i hunt and it was frozen over there is a late goose season fron Nov.24-? i am goin out tomorrow to see what we can do but we did great on the geese in the regular season we prob. shot close to 30 or 40
quacker_smacker90
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:46 pm

duckhunter6 wrote:
Deadeye_youth wrote:Yeah this ice sucks. All the ducks up here left us.

i hunt the saginaw bay.And with my 19' boat i have to problem getting out..im still slaying the divers so idk what ur talking about!

Sorry not everybody hunts divers.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 am

I would encourage you to get out, there are still many puddle ducks, and divers hanging out in SE Michigan. We had our lay out cancelled yesterday due to low water conditions at the launch site, so tried a favorate late season honey hole and hammered them!!! Most of the area was iced over, but we found an open stretch, set up and bingo!!! Ended up with 11 big fat Northern mallards, 1 Spoonbill, and 1 Redhead, could have shot many, many more, but shooting light ran out on us.
hankrt
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:56 am

Shooting light ran out on you? I can usually pick up my decoys and get back to the launch before the light runs out on me. I wish we could hunt until dark! Heaven forbid!!! Where is everyone launching on the Bay? I went from Quanicassee to Bay Port and everything was frozen solid.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:19 am

Well, let me put it to you this way maddiedog, I had plenty of light, and probably could have bagged another limit after the 5:00 daily closure time, which in my mind really sucks, but oh well, that's what our regulators call sundown. I literally had mallards sitting on water not 10 feet away at 5:10 and later, and could identify them with no problem. I think they need to move the sundown hour out at least 30 to 45 minuates. You must be north of me, we have lots of ice, but most of our boat launches are still open, should use a 4x4 though because the pull outs are really icy, when I put the boat in on Friday, I literally slid into the water, that was really spooky but got r done........good huntin!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:56 am

I feel your pain! It really stinks. I can hunt for deer until a half hour past sundown with a high powered rifle, but I can't shoot a duck 20 yards away.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:17 am

Yea, I can still feel my anxioty from Friday, I was picking up the decs, a little after 5:00 sun still shinning, my buddy Bruce with the gun in his hand headed for the boat to case it up, and greenheads just start landing right next to us...........I told him, take em, take em, but he just smiled and said you know you can't leagally do that, and I said yea, I know, but the thought was certainly a nice one...lol
hankrt
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting