2010 Boat Purchase

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

2010 Boat Purchase

Postby Adventurer79 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I Decided that this springs boat purchase is going to be a larger jet driven modified V jon.

Here's the debate.

Tiller vs console?

How big to go?
-Smaller, more manageable?
-Larger, more stable?

The boat will see year round action on the Manistee River as well as Michigans larger lakes and Great Lakes Bays.

Tips, suggestions, make, size, hp?

Thinking 16' or larger powered by at least a 50 hs jet.
Adventurer79
hunter

Re: 2010 Boat Purchase

Postby MichiganMarv » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Gonna use it to fish the river for the salmon runs also?
locked wings make me smile
MichiganMarv
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Salmon, steelhead, walleye, browns, ducks, geese, East (Sag Bay) West (Lake Mich) and everything in between. Yeah this boat needs to be a go anywhere machine.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 am

Do a lot of research and talking to people before you buy a jet. They rob a lot of HP from the engine and they plug up quickly if you run in shallow water with a lot of vegitation. I have known several guys that bought jets and sold them the next year due to many different issues. I run 21' jets powered by Big Block chevys and olds engines in the 500hp range and they will plug up if I get them in the weeds. then you have to clean them out or go no where.

If you are not going to be in the weeds than a jet will work fine. Generally the same 60hp power head used on a prop drive will give you a 40hp jet drive if I remember it correctly. and they tend to be heavier than a prop driven OB.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Do a lot of research and talking to people before you buy a jet. They rob a lot of HP from the engine and they plug up quickly if you run in shallow water with a lot of vegitation. I have known several guys that bought jets and sold them the next year due to many different issues. I run 21' jets powered by Big Block chevys and olds engines in the 500hp range and they will plug up if I get them in the weeds. then you have to clean them out or go no where.

If you are not going to be in the weeds than a jet will work fine. Generally the same 60hp power head used on a prop drive will give you a 40hp jet drive if I remember it correctly. and they tend to be heavier than a prop driven OB.

You are right about the power difference. The thing is though, jets are marked as what they are. For instance, the 40hp jet will be marked as a 40 hp but likely has a 60 powerhead. I don't particularly care for jets myself either, IMO the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages. I also don't really like a center console from a hunting standpoint, it just takes up more space. Of the couple of boats I've hunted out of, the best are ones that are very open.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Adventurer79 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks! This is the beginning of my "research and talking to people before buying" this and posts in other forums have been helpful, but have also left me where I began. :huh: Pro's, Con's, yeah! I think I agree most with jehlers post in the diver or boat forum. "One of each" seems to work out best, but the payment schedule could be tricky going that route.

Does anyone that spends a lot of time on Saginaw Bay have an opinion on this?

Seems like that would be jet country but no one seems to run 'em over there. Why?

Airboats and Mud moters are great for the Marshes but outside of the cattails weeds are few and far between.

My 16' sneak with a little 4hs handles 100 % of my small water and marsh hunting with ease.

Also going to be doing a LOT of fishing out of this boat. Jets dont fare well in the trolling world so a kicker is likely going to be part of the picture if I go Jet.

This boat is to be an open water and river boat.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 am

Adventurer79 wrote:Does anyone that spends a lot of time on Saginaw Bay have an opinion on this? Seems like that would be jet country but no one seems to run 'em over there. Why? Airboats and Mud moters are great for the Marshes but outside of the cattails weeds are few and far between. My 16' sneak with a little 4hs handles 100 % of my small water and marsh hunting with ease. Also going to be doing a LOT of fishing out of this boat. Jets dont fare well in the trolling world so a kicker is likely going to be part of the picture if I go Jet. This boat is to be an open water and river boat.

Saginaw bay is where my boat spends 85% of its time and I would never use a jet out there, And the guys that have have not had them long. unless you go way out it is shallow if you do go way out in deeper water a prop is better there too. and if you want a reverse that actually works you do not want a jet. I have never had a Jet O/B but have never heard one thing good about them from anyone that has owned them. On my play boats (454 / berkley jets) they were great, but suck a LOT of fuel compared to prop boats with the same engines. I have a Hyper sport on an 18' and It does anything I want to do on the bay. If you are looking to go 50mph than a mud motor would not be for you but mine will run about 25mph with 2 guys and about 15mph fully loaded. Talk to some local dealers and get their take on the jets too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:58 am

I agee, jets have there place in rocky rivers, and that is about it. incredibley uneffiecient, you'll be able to buy another boat with what you save on gas going with a propped motor
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby g_maxson » Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 am

As far as fuel, jet's are not incredibly inefficient as far as fuel, they are inefficent as far as thrust. A 65jp has a 90hp power head, hence it burns what a 90 burns, no more no less. I had a 90hp power head four stroke jet that sipped gas.

For Sag. Bay, unless you are trying to run it in a weed choked area, it is not an issue. From AuGres to FP, I don't think there is currently an area on the bay shore proper that has enough weeks to be an issue.

Jet pluses:
Don't need to worry about water depth as long as you are on plane, hence it is safer since you can cut corners and cross sand bars in large waves that you could not with a prop, allowing you get take a more straight line to the launch.

Won't tangle in long lines.

You can get double use and use it steelhead/salmon fishing.

Con's:
Can not operate in ice.

If you are operating in water you can not wade in and are putting decoys out with the boat, the reverse is not as efficient at a prop reverse so you need to be a little more well thought out. If you are wading to put out decoys, this then becomes a non issue.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby mmurphy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Ok I have both a jet boat and Gator Trax Gator Hide with a MudBuddy 5500 on it. the Jet boat is a Alumaweld 18 superjet with a 175 HP mercury sportjet. Additionally I own cottage on Saginaw Bay Sand point and fish steelhead and Salmon on the Manistee. Both boats are great a but each has its place. the jet is great on the bay but I have a 9.9 4 stroke kicker for trolling walleyes. it will run 45 mph in 8 inches of water but you need to stay on plane. cutting sandbars is great until you beach it which is the biggest concern moving at those speeds. Rocks are no issue since this boat is designed for running rivers out west. We hunt out of the hide and fish out of the Alumaweld. Contact jeff Helms at Camp and Cruise Marine in Marne Michigan. they sell Both types and are experts and fitting you to a multi purpose boat. either way get the biggest motor you can afford since you can always throttle back but telling your hunting/fishing buddies to go on a diet is tougher.

PM me is you want to talk more.

Mark Murphy
mmurphy
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting