Opening Day

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Opening Day

Postby poacher » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:49 am

Opening Gun season for deer here in Michigan and i'm sitting in my office looking out the window....oh well, looks like better duck weather. I leave Wed. Nov. 16th at 11:00am to head for deer camp, or is that Beer camp? :salude: Give the warriors a couple days to shoot each other. I can imagine the public land in michigan is a pumpkin patch today. Anyhow, good luck to all.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:38 am

yea im at home about to go to class and i thinking it was a good idea not to go out. and yea its more of a ducky day then a deer day.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Deadeye_youth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:39 am

Yeh I hunted this morning and a buddy shot at a small rack but missed I guess. I never even saw a deer.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 am

Had a great morning. Shot a big bodied, broken brow tine 7pt at 0730. After dressing it out I looked up and a 10pt was 125yds away and didn't even know I was there in the middle of a bean field. While dragging it towards my blind there was a tall spike walking at me at no more than 40yds, I'm still in the bean field, crazy morning for sure. Around 0945 the does started going nuts, took a big one at 1030. Saw 27 deer this AM, 15 were within 100yds, 7 within 30yds and none knew I was there. 2 doe tags left, but with the weather supposidely coming in it's time to hit the ducks this weekend.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby poacher » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:02 pm

:eek: holy smokes cobra :eek: sounds like your hunting in a petting zoo :laughing: :thumbsup: gotta love those domesticated deer in southern Michigan. i always manage to get a hunt in at the end of the season a stones throw from Detroit Metro airport, or as we call it, the petting zoo. :yes:
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:01 pm

They are definetly used to people down here. Pretty sure that buck was one that hung around my goose rig last month. It'll get tougher now, too much posted/ non-hunted land around so they'll go nocturnal or at noon. For the specific blind I decide to sit in the weather last night and this morning was perfect, basically knew this would happen. Been hunting that spot, in that blind (1 of 5 huts) for 20 years. Sorta know their habits and where they'll be depending on the weather. Age and experience pays off sometimes. :salude:
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting