Hunting out of Gibralter

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hunting out of Gibralter

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:38 am

Has anyone been lay out hunting out of Gibralter, or, northern Erie?? I will be hunting there next Friday and would like to know if the birds were there. Thanks for any info.
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:30 pm

yea for sure i went out yesterday and we killed 18 3 cans, 8 bluebill, 2 redheads, 4 mallards and 1 gadwall. it wasn't out of a layout but its just to let you know. and we went out this last wenesday and killed 4 bluebills and 2 mallards in a hour.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:18 pm

Quackerkiller, do you know if the lay out guys are getting any birds?? They should be if your getting them on shore, sounds like you had some pretty good hunts..............thanks for the info.
hankrt
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:33 pm

Yes you will be getting birds, 2 buddies layout shot Michigan waters this AM as I would have too but had a out of state guest and ddin't want him to have to buy 2 lisence non-resident so we hunted Ohio waters, we shot 7, but my buddies got their 12, malalrds, widgeon, bills buffs and redheads
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 am

Thanks ISD, what's the trick to getting puddle ducks while using a lay out spread?? I think I have only shot a handful of them over the years, and the majority of them are divers. We do put out a few mallard decs with and seperate from the divers, and do see the puddle ducks fly over but rerley do they commit. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:31 am

in out layout spread we have blackducks and mallard and they will for sure come in just have to get them intrested
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:54 pm

Well I personally do not use puddlers in my layout spread, my buddies are about 1/3 mallards and blacks, and another buddy of mine uses nothing but malalrds and blacks and shoots the daylights out of divers and puddlers, they have shot everykind of puddler and diver from their rig over nothing but puddle dekes, the biggest thing is the right location as in all hunting.Today I shot a double on mallards from the layout that was only consisting of 30 dekes all made by me with the exception of a few herter's foamies.I never blow calls from the layout and think if you match the layout I.E. green coat green layout not camo I think it may help a little but honestly I do not care to shoot puddlers I go out on the lake to shoot my divers not puddlers :yes:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:30 pm

Thanks for the info ISD. We have a few Mallard decs off to the side of the divers, and the lay out matches the water green. I would suspect that it is probably location why we don't shoot many puddlers, we are out in the lake quite far. I really like to shoot divers, sometimes they appear reallly stupid. They are good eating, but nothing like a nice fat mallard, or Black.
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:48 am

:withstupid: yea thats for sure
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:15 am

Hey Quackerkiller, sounds like your doing really awesome right now, what area are you getting them in?? Are you lay out , or, marsh hunting? I'm afraid with last nights chiller that the marshes are just about froze over...........your thoughts??
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 pm

yea this morning we broke ice to get out and no were not hunting layout or marshes open water spots with lots of deks. going out tomma and hoping to get some divers and honkers and my fav blacks and mallards and yes the marshes were frozen and and saw tons of mallards and puddlers on the open water. you better hope theres water on friday if thats when your going because when i go out tomma the water should be down 2 to 3 feet with the west winds
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Yea, that's always a concern down there, fortunatly, the boat is docked in deeper water so getting out with the big boat won't be a problem......hopfully!! Good luck tomorrow, it is suppose to be very windy, should be a good day. Let me know how you do......Thanks
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:59 pm

what a bad day thats all i have to say. no ducks or geese everything was totally frozen i was on the edge of the lake and up river my buddies got 15 ducks and 4 geese if your layin out tomma be careful with the ice on everything
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:24 pm

Thanks for the advise quackerkiller, I talked to my buddy today and he pretty much said the same thing, and is expecting super low water tomorrow so we decided to postpone the hunt for a week. Some warmer weather coming in next week, maybe that will help us in giving them a last hurrah!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:27 pm

yea that sounds like a better plan. there are tons of divers but with that low water and the big waves it would be nasty out there like today. every dek today when we were done had a 1/2 inch of ice on it
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:06 pm

lol...and the worst part, you didn't shoot any birds. Were going to give the St Clair Flats area a shot, hopfully there isn't to much ice on the cuts. Thanks for the advice.
hankrt
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:37 pm

Did well on the flats, 11 Mallards, 1 Spoonbill, and 1 Redhead, great hunt, it was well worth the ice fighting effort.
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:58 pm

where are you talkin about
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:02 am

Up in the Lake St Clair Area. If you search around there is still some open water, and there are still quite a few ducks still hanging out there, good shooting if your up to braving the cold and ice.
hankrt
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:32 am

i thought you were talkin down by me
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:41 am

Yea, we were headed your way, but my friend who lives there told us that the wind had pretty much beached his boat , so we cancelled out, and hunted the flats area. We are however planning a lay out hunt this Saturday in your area, so if you could, please keep me posted on how the hunting is down there...Thanks!!
hankrt
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting