Second gun in the boat?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Second gun in the boat?

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 am

Is it against the law in Michigan to have a second gun CASED in the boat while hunting alone?

Or same question, two guys and three guns in the boat, one in a case and of course unloaded?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Second gun in the boat?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Yes it would be a ticket even of it is cased.
You can read it right in the rules in the waterfowl guide, This is what it says.

RESTRICTION—No person shall take or attempt to take
migratory game birds (including woodcock):
• By the use or possession of more than one gun for each
person in the hunting party.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm

That was my understanding as well but I seem to remember some big debacle over on MSF about it
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 am

That quote from the hunt book, really doesnt make it black and white.
"RESTRICTION—No person shall take or attempt to take
migratory game birds (including woodcock):
By the use or possession of more than one gun for each
person in the hunting party
."

I also believe that it is not clear and there has been issues with it, challenged in court.

Trying to understand why if a extra gun is cased and unloaded, how it becomes an issue while hunting!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 am

I must be looking at it differently, To me is it 100% clear as to what they are saying. It means that it is not legal to have in your posession, more than one gun while hunting waterfowl. Unless you have a CPL than you can also have your handgun on your side in the blind of course. And why would a hunter need to take 2 guns out to the blind anyway? (unless you have an 11-87 then I can understand :lol3: )

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 am

Weedwacker wrote:Trying to understand why if a extra gun is cased and unloaded, how it becomes an issue while hunting!!

Because you could easily uncase it, load it and have 2 loaded guns ready to shoot in the blind. Yes I agree that MOST of us would not do this but as you should know, Most laws stem from an incident so tha law was put in place due to some issues with this. I am not sure if this is a federal statue or Mi only.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 am

Weedwacker wrote:Is it against the law in Michigan to have a second gun CASED in the boat while hunting alone?

Or same question, two guys and three guns in the boat, one in a case and of course unloaded?

That makes more sense.

As to why, cause exactly that reason. You fight your way out in frozen conditions and not in a warm blind but in a cold boat and someone in the boat is not shooting a high end gun like WATERFOWLER, has an issue. Just like anything in this world, you can take great care of your equipment, but sometimes things happen to your equipment.
It is not the end of the world for me, just makes me wonder why the law is why it is.

And WATERFOLWER, I hunted with a guide in Michigan 4 years ago on the two day special hunt in JAN. HE LOADED TWO GUNS in the blind and was shooting both of them!!! I had my son with me as the hunt was one of his Xmas gifts, we both pointed out to the other 2 guys in the blind that it was against the law. No one did a damn thing. We gave it great thought and then packed our gear and asked to have the pick up truck come get us, we left. I reported him and did not pay for the 50% still owed on the hunt!!He is still advertising and hunting today!!!!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 pm

There are states where that would be perfectly legal, but I'm fairly certain MI isn't one of them. I personally don't care. I've never had a hiccup from my gun. I don't think it has as much to do with the type of gun as it does the operator and how well they take care of their gun.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:01 pm

ajmorell wrote:I don't think it has as much to do with the type of gun as it does the operator and how well they take care of their gun.

Your right about that, :thumbsup: I was just throwing Remington under the bus as every one I have owned was JUNK compared to Benelli or browning. I do carry a "spare" gun in the truck though. And i really don't call it a Spare but where I hunt depending on if we decide to take a draw area or take the boat out determines what gun I like to take. In the boat I like my 24" barrel the best at is is much easier to deal with under the blind. If I am hunting a draw area I usually take the 28" as it is slightly less "loud" to other hunters in the blind. We set up the 5th wheel and hunt the first week without coming home so if there was a gun problem it is covered.

But I still like the law limiting it to one gun, I believe that if it were not in place you would see guys taking in 2 guns and having them both loaded and ready to go. not only does that create an unsafe situation if they shoot and then try to hurry and grab another gun it would also promote more IDIOTS that just blast at everything that flys by. IMO of course.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am

I love this topic. This is why I shoot an over/under... :lol3: The only problem I have ever had is when it gets really cold, my strogers bottom barrel won't fire (I'm talking sub zero) and those are the days I wish I had a better gun. I just cant see spending over 1000 on a gun that I am going to abuse bad. But thats just me :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Stoeger? I was going to buy a couple of those for the boat as they were cheaper than Oars at the time but that silly 1 gun per man law......:yes: :yes: :yes:

Just messing with ya PC, I have been looking at the stoeger O/U's for years, It is just too damn hard to shoot tripples with an O/U's. although it can be done as we often get our limit of divers in one shot I would miss that third BOOM. :lol3:

I have a 2000 but it is mainly my sons gun. My SBE has been used so much that I have the camo POLISHED at the grip area and the forend.

The 1 gun per man law is not really that much different from the 3 shot law. Can you imagine if they allowed mag extensions for ducks here in MI? You have to figure that you can still only shoot 6 ducks but I would bet (could be wrong) there would be MORE idiots than there already are taking long shots or emptying their guns on flocks at 80 yds and generating a lot of cripples.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Stoeger? I was going to buy a couple of those for the boat as they were cheaper than Oars at the time but that silly 1 gun per man law......:yes: :yes: :yes:

Just messing with ya PC, I have been looking at the stoeger O/U's for years, It is just too damn hard to shoot tripples with an O/U's. although it can be done as we often get our limit of divers in one shot I would miss that third BOOM. :lol3:

I have a 2000 but it is mainly my sons gun. My SBE has been used so much that I have the camo POLISHED at the grip area and the forend.

The 1 gun per man law is not really that much different from the 3 shot law. Can you imagine if they allowed mag extensions for ducks here in MI? You have to figure that you can still only shoot 6 ducks but I would bet (could be wrong) there would be MORE idiots than there already are taking long shots or emptying their guns on flocks at 80 yds and generating a lot of cripples.

:lol: Yes, there have been days that I have used my gun as an oar :lol3: JK. I did beef mine up a bit with duel mattern pasters for geese. Not sure if it works or not because I cant shoot to begin with but it looks cool :fingerhead: . I see the reason for the law. I keep one in my truck too. If it keeps more yahoos out of the marsh with a one gun rule and causes me to take 30 mins out of my hunt to run to the truck for my spare gun than so be it. Its funny you mention the camo comming off your gun. I put MAX-4 tape on my 1100 about 4 years ago and the grip and where I put my cheek on the butt is worn off to a tan color and it doesn't wear off very easy. That is how you know you have put some rounds through a gun. I know, its a remmington :moon: . I must have gotten a mutant because I have never had a problem with mine (knock on wood).
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 am

Quote:The 1 gun per man law is not really that much different from the 3 shot law. Can you imagine if they allowed mag extensions for ducks here in MI? You have to figure that you can still only shoot 6 ducks but I would bet (could be wrong) there would be MORE idiots than there already are taking long shots or emptying their guns on flocks at 80 yds and generating a lot of cripples.

See, you are way out of line of the original thread, question/comment.
A second gun in the boat does not equal a idiot or a person wanting to shoot more then 2-3 shots!! :no:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Weedwacker wrote: See, you are way out of line of the original thread, question/comment.
A second gun in the boat does not equal a idiot or a person wanting to shoot more then 2-3 shots!! :no:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really :huh:
I recall YOU stating that you hunted with a guide that did just that.

Weedwacker wrote:I hunted with a guide in Michigan 4 years ago on the two day special hunt in JAN. HE LOADED TWO GUNS in the blind and was shooting both of them!!! I had my son with me as the hunt was one of his Xmas gifts, we both pointed out to the other 2 guys in the blind that it was against the law. No one did a damn thing. We gave it great thought and then packed our gear and asked to have the pick up truck come get us, we left. I reported him and did not pay for the 50% still owed on the hunt!!He is still advertising and hunting today!!!!

It is the same point IMO when it comes to the reason behind it and the law that governs it. It is put in place, not to keep anyone from having a spare gun in case of their primary gun has a failure, but to keep you from having 2 loaded guns that you can readily switch out to gain another 3 shots. Sure, The original post did indicate that the gun would be in a case but the point is that there is a law against it and you will get the same ticket and fine, cased or not.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:50 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I must be looking at it differently, To me is it 100% clear as to what they are saying. It means that it is not legal to have in your posession, more than one gun while hunting waterfowl. Unless you have a CPL than you can also have your handgun on your side in the blind of course. And why would a hunter need to take 2 guns out to the blind anyway? (unless you have an 11-87 then I can understand :lol3: )

I must be the polar opposite, I read it as it is illegal to take or attempt to take game with a second gun, nothing in the law about having one stored :huh:

I often take a second gun along if we are hunting a long ways from the ramp.......My buddy shoots an 11-87 :lol3:

I should add, i have been checked at least three times with an extra cased gun, hasn't been a problem...yet :wink:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 am

The word "Posession" is where they can get you, If you "taking" Game and you have in your "posession" a second gun, you have violated the law as it is written, I specifically ask the DNR officers at fish point about keeping a spare gun in the "locked" gun locker on my boat and all 3 said that they "could" ticket me for that. Did not say that they would, but that they could do it. I guess it would be up to the officer that stopped you as to what they want to do. I would guess that if you were being a Butt to them it might have been different, I know of a lot of times where I hunt I have talked to guys that did not have the plug in their guns, they did not get tickets but were ask to return to their vechicle and plug their guns, for me it is just easier to not go aginst ANY interpretation of the law, Saves me time and lawyer fees. :yes:

Last year my son was caught hunting and he did not have the waterfowl license, He had the fed stamp (but it was at home) and the Lady Co just checked us out real good and told him to get it corrected and see her again the next day. He got his license corrected and put on the stamp, took it back to the roscommon office and they contacted the lady and everything was good. SO again I think a lot if it has to do with how you react when questioned about the possible issue.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 pm

I agree, another good one is the layout/sinbox when does the layout become a sinkbox.....another vague law
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:27 pm

jehler wrote:I agree, another good one is the layout/sinbox when does the layout become a sinkbox.....another vague law

good point and In Maine the sink box is a fixture that is left like a blind for the season where as a layout boat is usually taken in and out every hunt. I never looked into it here in MI as I do not layout or sinkbox hunt anymore. I will tell you that with tides a sinkbox can be real interesting. you have to know what your doing or die..... And then you have to pump it out before every days hunt too but they are a lot of fun.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby g_maxson » Mon May 10, 2010 8:08 am

Weedwacker wrote:Quote:The 1 gun per man law is not really that much different from the 3 shot law. Can you imagine if they allowed mag extensions for ducks here in MI? You have to figure that you can still only shoot 6 ducks but I would bet (could be wrong) there would be MORE idiots than there already are taking long shots or emptying their guns on flocks at 80 yds and generating a lot of cripples.

See, you are way out of line of the original thread, question/comment.

Having hunted ducks where were was no 3 shot rule, I can't see it impacting like you would think. VERY difficult to get off more than 3 shots on ducks, that is unless you are flock shooting and just pulling the trigger as fast as you can't without picking out individual birds. I don't think I ever got off more than 3 shells and used the extras basically for cripples.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 am

I think this law boils down to discretion on the part of the DNR officer. It’s like any other law. For example; you may be pulled over for speeding but it doesn’t mean your going to get a ticket. If you take another gun with you and it is locked in a gun locker and unloaded, as the law is written, you could get a ticket. Are they going to issue one, most likley not and if they do, you have met an a hole. I can see both sides but the real question is to take a gun or not to take a gun ( take no chances in a ticket or tempt faith with an a hole DNR officer).

:thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting