Goose season closure?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Goose season closure?

Postby Layout » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:21 pm

Can someone please come up with a logical explanaion to as WHY goose season in Michigans U.P. closes on Oct. 10th?

:pissed: That is when the shooting really starts to get good.
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:09 am

I think this is because of the certain groups that will be migrating through at the time such as the james bay birds and other birds.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Layout » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:37 pm

So they (Mi. DNR and feds) do not want us to shoot migratory waterfowl? Last year I believe we had the opportunity to hunt geese till November or so. We are killing migratory geese right now also snows.

I believe we (Mi.) are letting the birds migrate to the southern regions to let the big (high dollar) hunt clubs gun them.

Any other thoughts on this?
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:06 pm

I think it sucks and we really get the real short end of the deal. Not makin me to happy. Last years season was nice.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:39 pm

Last yr was only a week longer right/?They have the extra season this yr from Dec 4 -12. I hunt Albion and all my birds took off Saturday for who knows where. The week before I saw 500 geese this weekend I saw 12 and my dad and I killed 4 of them. Woth the warm weather I wouldn't be suprised if they went back North for a week.

I think it is where they estimate the migrations birds will be from at that time of yr. Has nothing to do with High dollar clubs. I agree with Quackerkiller.
Tarponman
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:41 pm

its not that they don't want you to shoot migartors cuz all waterfowl do its just certian groups of birds that fly through M.I. i assume.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Layout » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:40 pm

See ya next year U.P. goose season. What a ripoff! :thumbsdown:

Honkshooter very well said, I agree 100%.
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:31 am

Layout

I am not arguing with you about why you feel you got a raw deal I am merely asking. Why do you feel like UP hunters get shafted on the goose seasons? Is it because when your season starts there aren't many geese there yet and by the time the hunting gets good they close the season on you? or is there another reason? Please don't think I'm being a difficult I am just curious.
Tarponman
hunter

Postby Layout » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:39 pm

Tarponman, naw bud I totally realize what you said and it's all good. It's just that last year we had some awesome gunnin' :thumbsup: on the honkers and this year they shut us down.

There aren't many geese when the season gets going. Very few resiential geese. The geese didn't start piling through here till about 2 weeks ago and now I can't use my decoys. Lot's of $ spent on decoys and now I don't get to use them.

Our lab (chet) is not a happy puppy now.
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:11 am

That would make any man mad. I here you. That tells me one of of two things about where i hunt either A) the geese that are there a primarily all local birds that have just grouped up later in the season or B The migrators that we do get and I know we do get some must not stop for very long in the UP. I have a field I hunt in Rogers city that for a few days a season will get 1000 birds that have just crossed the straights and stop there to feed.

I can remember several yrs ago when the goose season was much later in the year like middle of october through november. In fact I can remember hunting geese during firearm deer season in southern MI. In Il where I work the season hasn't even started yet. The migrations change so much every yr it looks like the FWS was wrong on M for the UP hunters this yr and needs to make some adjustments. One of my hunting partners is a waterfowl biologist with MI so I will voice your concerns to him and ask him to investigate throuh the MIP program
Tarponman
hunter

Postby bwalker » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:21 pm

I feel you pain, layout. Im from the UP also and feel we got shafted this year. Sure they give us a late season, but what good is that when there is 20" of snow on the ground?
bwalker
hunter

Postby Wingshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:07 pm

That sucks :pissed: . Does the local pop. support a longer hunt? Up here in S.Ont. we get a early goose season limit is 8 per hunter (Sept.7 to Sept. 17) then reopens Sept.25 to Dec. 30 (limit is 5) , thenreopens Jan.- Jan. 22 (limit 8) then reopens Feb. 21 - Feb 28 limit 8, MIGHT BE A GOOD REASON TO MOVE TO CANADA? :toofunny: We are passing up geese sometimes if we don't feel like cleaning them and wait for the ducks.We just got too many up here .
Happiness is a Warm Gun, Wet Dog........
Wingshooter
hunter

Postby Weatherby » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:51 am

They should add the days they give the UP in December to the end of the season in October. That way people could actually make it out when the weather is OK ans there is geese around. I still don't understand that UP december season. It must be political or something :pissed:
Weatherby
Newb

Postby Layout » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:39 pm

Only time will tell......

We'll see what this up coming season brings?
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:11 pm

I am an Iowa boy that had a Great hunt in the UP last year. I am looking forward to returning this year as well. The folks up there are so friendly and showed us great hospitality. Is the season going to shut down early again this year?
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Layout » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:54 pm

Whitefeather, I have no idea on what is going on for goose season this year. It sure is coming up fast.

Does anyone have any information on dates or limits for 05 - 06 ??????????

Glad ya had a good hunt up here, where about in the U.P. did you hunt? Was it during the early season in September?
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:56 pm

Layout wrote:Whitefeather, I have no idea on what is going on for goose season this year. It sure is coming up fast.

Does anyone have any information on dates or limits for 05 - 06 ??????????

Glad ya had a good hunt up here, where about in the U.P. did you hunt? Was it during the early season in September?

I hunt just past where you are from. Had a heck of a hunt last year and hope for much of the same this year. Man, it sure is pretty country up there during that first week in October. I hope it lasts at least until the 10th.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby kulsh » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:37 pm

all dates will be posted in early september
kulsh
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:03 pm

kulsh wrote:all dates will be posted in early september

thanks Kulsh
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:27 am

FWS and wildlife had their meeting last week and made their recommendations. It is on their website now. For Mi is it looks like a 60 day season again with the earliest start date 9/24. For Goose hunters this is a later date than normal. They didn't say if it would be a 1or 2 bird limit per day. Ducks looks like same dates 9/24- Jan but Mi usualyy starts their ducks 2nd week in oct and that probably won't change.
Woody27
hunter

Postby Layout » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 pm

- A month from today I will be in a cut oat field. :thumbsup:
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 pm

Woody27 wrote:FWS and wildlife had their meeting last week and made their recommendations. It is on their website now. For Mi is it looks like a 60 day season again with the earliest start date 9/24. For Goose hunters this is a later date than normal. They didn't say if it would be a 1or 2 bird limit per day. Ducks looks like same dates 9/24- Jan but Mi usualyy starts their ducks 2nd week in oct and that probably won't change.

Can you attach the link? I didn't find the recommendations. I looked on a couple of DNR and FWS sites and didn't find them. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Woody27
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Woody27 wrote:http://news.fws.gov/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=6316D252-65BF-03E7-249EB2ABFDB573A4

thanks
whitefeather
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting