My favorite topic!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:32 am

I just thought after reading the topic of "second gun in the boat" I would visit an old topic that got alot of attention. SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO KEEP A FIXED PRIVATE USE BLIND ON PUBLIC HUNTING LAND. I hate this law and it is a law. Here it is straight out of the 2009-2010 water guide.

DECOYS, BLINDS, RAISED PLATFORMS
• You may not leave decoys set out between 9:00 p.m. and
3:00 a.m. in waters of the Great Lakes and connecting
waters, and lakes wholly enclosed by publicly-owned lands.
• You may not erect or use a hunting blind on any public waters
without permanently affixing to the exterior, in waterproof
letters not less than three inches high, the name and address
of the person who placed it there. Any unoccupied blind on
the Great Lakes or Lake St. Clair may be used by the first
person to occupy it each day.
• You may not leave any hunting blind or part thereof anchored
or affixed to the bottomlands of any public waters within the
state of Michigan prior to Aug. 15 or later than Jan. 16.
• You may not hunt waterfowl with a firearm from a raised
platform except over submerged bottomlands. Blinds or
platforms constructed over public waters must meet marking
and removal requirements.
• You may not use or occupy a blind on the waters of the
state that does not comply with marking and placement
requiremets.
• Contact the Plainwell DNR office (269-685-6851) regarding
blind rules for Allegan County.

Ok they way I read this is that you can put up a blind, mark the lettering that is required, remove it during during the black out dates and that blind is then yours. The part that I am really confused about is that" is the blind still on a first come, first serve basis if it is not on the great lakes or lake st clair" or if you follow the rules of the blind, it is yours to hunt from nomatter who shows up first or is hunting near it? I have had some real bad experences with this law. Lets here some options. Please no bashing in the topic. The last one got pretty heated! :thumbsup:

The other question is if you are hunting out a blind that is mismarked or been there forever in the marsh(and we have all seen them) and you hunt out of it, could you get a ticket?
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!


Re: My favorite topic!

Postby augerin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:01 am

I would think it comes down to "The authority having Jurisdiction" and how they interpret (read or understand) the law. :bow:
augerin
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 pm

It is pretty clear to me that if it is not on St Clair or on the great lakes then it is the builders/owners to use no matter who gets there first JUST LIKE your ice shanty would be. I am pretty sure they both require simular lettering / tagging too. I personally would not squat in someone elses blind unless I knew that they were not going to be using it that day. Not only would it take an idiot to try to beat the owner to his blind that he spend time and effort (and possibly $$$)on, it would just plain be un-sportsman like in every aspect. Where we hunt there are several blinds but there is also MILES of coastline so I can get 300 to 400 yards away and set my spread (and may the best spread win).

I am not sure on the incorrect marked blind situation, But when I was in Maine they WOULD definately ticket you for that even if it was not your blind, Being in it was all the reason they needed.

If you want to avoid the issue all together then get yourself a small pontoon boat. It is considered Personal Property and no matter where you anchor it no one can trespass on it. You are still required to either have it registered with the MC numbers on the side or have the 3" Lettering showing the owners information. At least that is what I was told by the sheriffs department. I have seen several of these permanantly anchored in the bay during season.

I just like to stay on the GOOD side of the law and fellow hunters so that there are no issues. I personally know 2 guys (2 completely seperate times) that have had their tires cut because they were in someone elses blind and refused to allow the "owner" to use it, I do not need that kind of headache.


I would be curious as to if the law includes intercostal waters linked to the great lakes?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Well, where I hunt there is going to be problems, sorry but it is just that way.

My favorite spot that I have hunted in for going on 12 years now, has a blind right in the middle of the prime area where several of us would hunt out of our boats.

NOW, we can not even hunt the area due to the close-ness to THIS BLIND!! We can not hunt out of the blind, because if the builder shows up (late), by law we have to pick up and leave!!

ITS A JOKE. Public water yet the builder has all the rights in the world. I put my boat up next to the blind once and 1/2 hour into shooting the builder shows up!! Gets in my face and I just called 911 because I cant believe that this is going down, one hunter to another!! CO shows up about an hour later, (bulider is sitting in the middle of my decoys drinking coffee and about every 15 minutes calling me every 4 letter word he can think of) the CO comes talks to builder and then me and my buddy. Tells me and my buddy that we "should pack up and move out of area cause this guy is real hot"!! I tell the CO the truth and why do I have to leave the builder showed up late and its on public water. The CO states "yea I know but he built it and he is real pissed, so how about you guys just move on and everyone will be happy"/// We packed and left.

Now I cant even hunt the area due to the bad feelings I get just looking at this blind, he didnt put it to one end or the other so others can hunt the same area, oh no, its in the middle and keeps everyone from setting up in the area because its just to close for comfort. Plus everyone knows now the guy is a hot head.

Its an amazing law and needs to be reviewed, this guy thinks he owns the blind and water in 500 ft circle of his blind, and will tell you this at the boat ramp. the CO has made this guy God OF THE BLIND!!
I am done....
I
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 pm

quote:I just like to stay on the GOOD side of the law and fellow hunters so that there are no issues. I personally know 2 guys (2 completely seperate times) that have had their tires cut because they were in someone elses blind and refused to allow the "owner" to use it, I do not need that kind of headache.

Are you kidding me!! So you allow the bully to drive your behavior!! That is chicken crap my buddy, shame on you and them.

We are hunters and should support each other so the ANTI's do not get one more inch further in thier cause against us!!

I might get upset, but would never burn a blind, cut a guys tires, etc.

Deal with the issue, like be a bully and do crap like that behind a guys back.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
Are you kidding me!! So you allow the bully to drive your behavior!! That is chicken crap my buddy, shame on you and them.

We are hunters and should support each other so the ANTI's do not get one more inch further in thier cause against us!!

I might get upset, but would never burn a blind, cut a guys tires, etc.

Deal with the issue, like be a bully and do crap like that behind a guys back.


This has nothing to do with anti hunting at all. It has to do with me not wanting to put another $900 set of tires on my truck because the guy that built the blind "made a point". Even if I know he did it he will walk away with a smile on his face and I would be calling a flatbed. SO rather than getting into a brawl with some idiots in the marsh and haveing a hunt ruined and hurting someone I choose to enjoy my hunt at one of my several other "spots". You can Call it what you want but I call it SMART. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote: You can Call it what you want but I call it SMART. :thumbsup:


I would call it private land, a reason for conflict in the swamp, unfair rights for all individuals involved, and unsportman's like.

Let me take this angle because like me, a few people get real red in the face when talking about this topic. Lets look at the positive points of the law. I could see it being very, very good for the hand-cap and senoirs or people with disabilities. Other than that, I cant think of anymore and I thought about it for a minute. I think when you look at the FACTS: reguardless of weather or not you agree with the law, it causes more conflict then resolve in the marsh. If changed, there would be no conflict at all and the DNR could focus more on yahoo hunters than dealing with preventable situations by not haveing blinds, agreed?

And from a personall standpoint, you cant tell me that you wouldn't feel better knowing you didn't have to worry about a guy showing up to a blind in the morning. You could set up anywhere, just like most states.

I'm alot like you, I hunt out of a boat unless we are on private land but it would be nice to set up in some of the good public hunting areas where the birds move alot and not have to worry about a hunter showing up late.

I also dont think $$$$$ should every be an issue in this topic either. I bet you anything, I could take whatever someone is about to invest into a blind, and convert a boat to a blind in less than half the cost.

this topics fun!! :clapping:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:36 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote: Where we hunt there are several blinds but there is also MILES of coastline so I can get 300 to 400 yards away and set my spread (and may the best spread win).



I'm sorry but I have to comment on this sentence. I totally agree; may the best spread win BUT, I would much rather compete in a bird heavy area than not have an option to hunt there at all due to blinds. I am going to be very honest with you. I think you would just let those envoled duke it out than deal with an issue. I not tring to bash, i am just trying to understand your logic. My logic tells me if I do like you do and not envolve myself in a problem with area that I hunt, than in a few years time, I won't have a public place to hunt. For example, right now you have MILES of coastline to hunt from. Thats great until someone builds a blind there. Ok so they build a blind, no big deal, I'll move. Oh crap, I can't set-up there either because there is another blind and I have no idea if he is going to be there so you look for another spot until at some point, public land will be covered up buy blinds(highly unlikly where you hunt but possible). Then what? Private land, sure its possible, but what about most people that dont have the time to get a land owner and how about the people that just go to the marsh not even to kill ducks but just to have a good time with friends and maybe shoot at a few. They cant even do that without trouble. I think your forgeting that your MILES of coastline is only a few hundred yards for people that hunt inland and blinds are driveing most people to your MILES of coastline because we dont have public land to hunt from anymore without steping on someones blind. I think with your logic, even if you set back and watch like I did, all the people that think like you are right now, are going to crowd you out to the point of hateing this law, just like I do :shades:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 pm

PC, I have hunted the same marsh with basically the same people for over 30 years and it has not changed one bit (hunter wise). People still put up season long blinds and pretty much put them in the same place every year. so I see no reason to bother them. In 30 years the number of hunters in the area I hunt has decreased if anything and I still hunt the same honey holes I always have. I could put up a permant blind myself and "reserve" the spot but that has never been necessary. Now I could see this being an issue on a small marsh where someone puts a blind in the middle and tries to HOG the entire marsh rather than sitting up on the edge and creating enough buffer room for more parties to hunt. Then the builder should expect some issues as it would seem their point is to keep others from being able to hunt the entire public area. I guess I have never ran into "that guy" so I do not personally understand your point but I do get "red-faced" when someone gets my favorite spot to park the fifthwheel :yes:

Most permant blinds around me are built with Pallets, slab wood and local brush (free) but there are some that I know of that are multi level where they park their boat inside the lower level and it is completely enclosed and they hunt above the boat. these do cost quite a bit of money / time and I think these are run by the local guides so they are heavily used, and are pretty much centered in the morning flight path. and if i read it right the use law does not even apply to these blinds as they are on saginaw bay which is part of the great lakes waters, but everyone there seems to RESPECT other hunters blinds.

If it were not a law then it would be open to some LAZY idiots that could just find someones really nice blind and camp out in it. they put no effort into building it but get to hunt out of it :huh: I DON'T think so... And I am not saying that everyone is like this but it only takes one to ruin it for the men the actually put forth the effort to scout and build a blind. For the years to come I will continue to hunt the draw areas, the thousands of acres of coastline or our private ponds and swamps on the farm and leave the "private" blinds alone.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 pm

I could see your point of view that someone else that is lazy gets to hunt out of a nice blind. I would be mad thats for sure but to my arguement, the law clearly states:

You may not leave any hunting blind or part thereof anchored
or affixed to the bottomlands of any public waters within the
state of Michigan prior to Aug. 15 or later than Jan. 16.

So every blind that is affixed right know sitting in the marsh is illegal and there are hundreds of them out there right now! So What is being done about them? Are the people with there 3" lettering getting tickets and are they being removed so that the people that do put in the effort get a chance at the spot next year. It's a good question and one that I'll bet gets little attention by the DNR!

I think another big portion of this topic is the fact that we are in to very different areas of MI. I think down here, the public area VS number of hunters is much higher than where you are which is what in all honesty is driving our disagreeing. You say that there is the same amount of hunters where you at that there was 30 years ago. I'm not that old :wink: but the 10 years that I have been here, it has doubled at the least. When I was 16, my buddys and I could go to the public swamp by my house and not see but maby one other group of hunters and they had a blind and it was like you said, it was theres and no one cared that it was there because there was alot more room in the marsh to set up a spread and kill a fair amount of ducks. Now there are 5 blinds and if you are not in a blind, you will get a ticket for either tresspassing or being to close to a blind so we stopped going there and in turn started to crowd another area. anyway my point is, it is the area that we live that has alot to do with weather you dont mind the law or hate it. If you really wanted to see if it held true, look at the number of acres of public land vs the population of people. My money is that there very different.

My point behind this topic is to see if the law should be ammended. If you stick to the law, I could see it working, float in your blind at the begining of the season and take it out when its over. No problems at all, but the law is not being followed at least in my area and there is no way to prove that the people hunting in the blind didnt build it on the 15 of AUG so they get away with doing something illegal. If I had to change it it would say this(if its red, I changed it):

DECOYS, BLINDS, RAISED PLATFORMS
• You may not leave decoys set out between 9:00 p.m. and
3:00 a.m. in waters of the Great Lakes and connecting
waters, and lakes wholly enclosed by publicly-owned lands.
• You may not use a floating anchored hunting blind on
any public waters without permanently affixing to the exterior,
in waterproof letters not less than three inches high, the name
and address of the person who placed it there. Any unoccupied
blind affixed to the to the bottomlands may be used by the first
person to occupy it each day
.
• You may not leave any hunting blind or part thereof anchored
in any public waters within the state of Michigan prior to Aug. 15
or later than Jan. 16. Blinds affixed to bottomlands may be left
yearly unless determed to be unsafe.
• You may not hunt waterfowl with a firearm from a raised
platform except over submerged bottomlands. Blinds or
platforms constructed and/or affixed to bottomlands over
public waters are subjest to use by all hunters.

• You may not use or occupy a blind on the waters of the
state that does not comply with marking and placement
requiremets.
• Contact the Plainwell DNR office (269-685-6851) regarding
blind rules for Allegan County.

I think this is great. You are still allowed blinds but now, if you really, truely, want it to be yours, this makes you remove it and be held accountable under the law. It also restarts the playing field at the end of the year so everyone has an equal chance at it next year which should be happing anyway and isnt, at least where I am. I think these are fairly reasonable? :thumbsup:

Also "private" blind is on public land :huh:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I have not ran into the issues you mention so that is the big difference between our points. I can go to the area I hunt right now and all of the blinds are GONE. Not one still in the bay or along the shore line but the DNR takes it seriously and so do the other hunters and groups that "clean up" the bay during the off season. My cousin lives in holland on the waters of lake MI and has hunted that area a bit (he usually hunts here with me) but says the population of hunters is very low but so is the duck population unless you get near the waste water or other known "good" areas and still there are no where near the hunters we have here. and he was told that the DNR will burn blinds left into the winter. Take a Morning draw for instance (just to give an idea of the hunters in our area) early in the season there were(10 years ago) sometimes over 200 parties of 2 to 4 guys in each party. Only about 40 or so of those parties will take a blind the rest either head for the marsh/bay or wait for the afternoon draw and the ones not drawn then will hit the marsh or bay. last season the average was around 120 parties. and after the first week that was down around 90 or less during the week. still a lot of hunters but I have always found a good place to set up. So in this case I like the law as it is and see it being enforced properly over here.

I will say that I do ocassionally see natural blinds along the shore where the guys just cover up dead-fall or create natural cover and leave it all year. but nothing was brought in to build it and each season they just dress them up a bit and threir ready to hunt.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 am

The IL law, has draw to build blinds on public water. They spec's you must build to, dog door, boat hide, etc.

Up to three people can be registered for that blind, which means they are the builders.

Law is, 1/2 before shooting hour anyone can use the blind. IF builder shows up 10 minutes prior to shooting hour, they are not in-titled to the blind as they know the rules, they must go to another blind if one is open.

So you sit infront of a blind ready to set up for the morning, if builder shows up, you move on, if at 1/2 prior no one is there, you are not the shooter for that blind for the day, or untill you leave!!

Pretty simple for public hunting!!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 am

Sorry, fat fingered this part.
quote
So you sit infront of a blind ready to set up for the morning, if builder shows up, you move on, if at 1/2 prior no one is there, you are NOW the shooter for that blind for the day, or untill you leave!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Thats good that they are activilty checking for blinds because the two swamps around me are packed with them. At this point in the topic, I think it is a matter of DNR enforceing the law. I am still confused as to why a "private" blind on public land is ok. They don't pay taxes on it, but they can claim that patch of earth whenever they want throughtout the season. That really blows my mind :huh: . You wouldn't let someone build something on your hunting land so why does the state allow people to build on theres?
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 pm

patrick.carrington wrote: I am still confused as to why a "private" blind on public land is ok. They don't pay taxes on it, but they can claim that patch of earth whenever they want throughtout the season. That really blows my mind :huh: . You wouldn't let someone build something on your hunting land so why does the state allow people to build on theres?



to me I look at it the same way as camping on public land (not in campgrounds but in open areas). You just fill out the camp permit, Park your 5th wheel or set your tent in the woods where you want it and that is your piece of land for a set amount of time. and if you want to stay longer you just move for 24 hours and then move back. during the time you have "claimed" that property as your camp you can leave for the day and no one can just move into your tent or camper while your away. I know it is not EXACTLY the same as building a little blind in the marsh but you are still claiming a piece of public land as yours. you are not paying taxes or fees to stay there and you are actually Living on the property for a couple of weeks. We do this all the time and if all of the sudden someone wanted to change the law and tell us that we can set up camp but if we leave for a hike anyone can move in because we were not currently in the camp and it is public land, That would not be acceptable at all.


Ice shantys are tha same way. Houghton lake for example there are sometimes so many out there all winter long that is is hard to find a good hole. But you can not fish out of another mans shanty either. My suggestion would be to contact the local DNR everytime you find an unmarked blind or if you think it will be left there take a pic of the owners info for future reference and report them if they leave it up past the removal date. :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby pmarker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 am

I thought about this topic before I replied. PC I see your concerns as do most hunters. However, I will take the opposite side and you and I discussed this topic in the Fall. I scout hard. I put in tons of miles both during the season and preseason. Last Fall, my hunting partner and I decided to build a blind and placed this blind on inland waters so we do not fall under the Great Lakes rules. Our blind placement really upset another hunter who claims "this is my spot". I can see the other hunter's frustration and we told him to just call us whenever, and he is more than welcome to hunt the blind if we weren't going to be there. This is not hard to do, nor takes up time. For example, I rarely can hunt during the week, so we said if you can hunt it go ahead. However, most hunters who hunt from a blind, a boat or otherwise do show up early (real early). Heck, I still get to my blind hours in advance because this is the way we hunt. I see the same style of hunting in Saginaw Bay: guys show up real early or not at all. very rarely do people show up 15 mintes before light. Now this is not to say that everyone hunts this way, but lets not discuss fringe hunters, and instead focus on the majority. The guy was more than happy to know that we considered him instead of isolating him. We got along just fine because even though we both think we were right, I made the blind it's mine, he thinks it is his traditional spot, we worked together. We followed all the rules and never had one problem all year. I think the rules prevent problems. Good way to think of a rule/ law was that it is created to stop something. very few rules/ law increase an opportunity. Now flip it. If he builds a blind there next year, so be it. I will move on and find another spot to enjoy and place my blind. Also, your issues are not similar to all hunters. I agree with the previous response in that the number of duck hunters is decreasing, especially after opening morning. Now I will not try to force my feelings unto you since we do not hunt the same areas so I can't understand what you have to deal with. I have hunted near slob hunters before and it sucks. they show up late, sky bust, never stop calling, leave cripples etc. but the majority of duck hunters respect the sport and each other. As stated before, respect each other, both ways, and this should not be an issue. Sorry so long.
pmarker
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 am

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 pm

more good points and if you are hunting on different days it could work out that everyone pitches in on the blind building work and maintenance. you are probably a special case though because most hunters I know hunt the weekends. I usually hunt every day the opening week and then most of the second week. from there it is dependent on the weather if I hunt or not. so the sharing of a blind would be hard to schedule. PC sounds like he is in an area of only a couple of good spots with lots of hunters and everyone wants the good spot so someone builds a blind in the middle to basically reserve the entire marsh. I do not think it is right for anyone to try and take over an entire pothole just by placing a blind in the middle. We had one small Pothole and there were about 3 blinds around it. everyone had to be VERY careful as you could easily shoot and badly hurt the guy across the hole. but every one "shared" the ducks and only shot when the ducks were in thier own decoys.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
patrick.carrington wrote: I am still confused as to why a "private" blind on public land is ok. They don't pay taxes on it, but they can claim that patch of earth whenever they want throughtout the season. That really blows my mind :huh: . You wouldn't let someone build something on your hunting land so why does the state allow people to build on theres?



to me I look at it the same way as camping on public land (not in campgrounds but in open areas). You just fill out the camp permit, Park your 5th wheel or set your tent in the woods where you want it and that is your piece of land for a set amount of time. and if you want to stay longer you just move for 24 hours and then move back. during the time you have "claimed" that property as your camp you can leave for the day and no one can just move into your tent or camper while your away. I know it is not EXACTLY the same as building a little blind in the marsh but you are still claiming a piece of public land as yours. you are not paying taxes or fees to stay there and you are actually Living on the property for a couple of weeks. We do this all the time and if all of the sudden someone wanted to change the law and tell us that we can set up camp but if we leave for a hike anyone can move in because we were not currently in the camp and it is public land, That would not be acceptable at all.


Ice shantys are tha same way. Houghton lake for example there are sometimes so many out there all winter long that is is hard to find a good hole. But you can not fish out of another mans shanty either. My suggestion would be to contact the local DNR everytime you find an unmarked blind or if you think it will be left there take a pic of the owners info for future reference and report them if they leave it up past the removal date. :beer:


OK, I can see it. Camp and when your done, pack it up and move. I dont mind the law if its done like pmaker is saying. we build it this year and if someone beats you to it next year, so be it. The problem I am haveing is that the public places I hunt aren't very big and the blinds are there year round or if taken down or removed by the DNR, there build right away again on AUG15, shuting down the area and most of the time, the blinds a dangerously close. The kalamazoo river near just outside marshall, maroo pond in kalamazoo, the st. joe river in threerivers, all public places but arnt very big so even one blind built where the birds funnel into the marsh puts a huge damper on everyone else tring to hunt leaving one group of hunters alot of shooting and everyone else watching, pissed, which leads to someone else the next day tring to claim the blind and so on and so forth. If anything now seeing the different sides of the law, maybe permiting blinds would help. All I am tring to do here is figure out how to solve the issue and make it far to everyone else in the area that hunts. I love blinds, make for closer shooting and less criples(unless you use a remmington like me, haha). but I am a reasonable guy and I love seeing guys kill ducks, sometimes more than I like shooting myself, it just earks me when I see one group of guys that doesnt have repect for the others in the marsh and later at the boat launch, you here guys talking about not hunting ducks anymore because it sucks or you get your tires slashed or something stupid like that. Last year in fact, a friend of mine had his tires slashed because he called in a yahoo and soon after he stopped hunting with us or wasn't even excited to hunt ducks because of the bad taste in his mouth from the hole ordeal.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:52 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:more good points and if you are hunting on different days it could work out that everyone pitches in on the blind building work and maintenance. you are probably a special case though because most hunters I know hunt the weekends. I usually hunt every day the opening week and then most of the second week. from there it is dependent on the weather if I hunt or not. so the sharing of a blind would be hard to schedule. PC sounds like he is in an area of only a couple of good spots with lots of hunters and everyone wants the good spot so someone builds a blind in the middle to basically reserve the entire marsh. I do not think it is right for anyone to try and take over an entire pothole just by placing a blind in the middle. We had one small Pothole and there were about 3 blinds around it. everyone had to be VERY careful as you could easily shoot and badly hurt the guy across the hole. but every one "shared" the ducks and only shot when the ducks were in thier own decoys.


You got it, small area, tons of hunters wanting to build a blind and there all way to close. The problem is the share the ducks part. Its a shoot at 70 yards game here. This is half of the reason I hunt public during the week and private during the weekend. Thank God I am in the navy or getting land owner premission without my uniform would suck(Calhoun county, deer everywhere!).
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:06 am

patrick.carrington wrote:Thank God I am in the navy.


I was there for 10 years, My son is there now, Sub duty.

Good luck with the blind issues.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 am

What boat, someone in the recruiting command here might know him. Lots of sub guys do the shore stent here on recruiting.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI...in the field!!

Re: My favorite topic!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

He is unassigned in some "A" school in groton at this time, says his station is Washington state I believe but I do not know what boat. I was on the Tinosa for a short time repairing some equipment their own guys could not get fixed. It was a different navy and all together different attitude on the sub. :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI


Return to Michigan Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron