Cans????

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Cans????

Postby Musselman » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:58 pm

I hunt about everyweekend i can through duck season and usualy do not stray far form muskegon lake. I love the diver hunting and earlier in the year i got into a few red heads and a couple of bills last year. I dont see the numbers of reds, or bills, that the guys are seing on the other side of the state. And i am yet to see a can on muskegon lake other than in the spring. Can anyone tell me where around muskegon i can find good numbers of reds bills or cans. I know they are out on lake michigan but thats close to a mile out. Any help would be appreciated.
Musselman
hunter

Postby Duck Heaven » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:53 am

Mussleman,

The ducks are right where they like to be ... even though you might not like where they are!:smile:

I know Lake Michigan has definately a lot rougher water and is deeper than Saginaw Bay ...or Lake St. Clair ... and going out to where the birds are .. can be tricky ...and somewhat dangerous. To the hunters advantage ... the reason hunters are quite a bit more successful in Sag Bay or St Clair .. is the overall depth is extremely shallow .. compared to Lake Michigan ... and on most days ...only a 1/2 -1 foot chop. There are also secluded bays and marshy areas that ducks can find enticing ... compared to the 5 foot rollers and 4-6 foot chop of Lake Michigan.

However to your advantage .... at least you have identified an area of open water that they are currently hanging around in and are evidently comfortable with. The water will get rougher .. the wind will increase .... and the ice will begin to lock-up the shorelines soon .. and will push the birds farther out ...and into deeper water ... where they will not be as comfortable.

This change ... will trigger the birds to take refuge to the moving rivers that are close to where they are now! Go and check around upstream from the mouths of the rivers (Muskegon) (Manistee) ... and you will find some reds... bills ... pins ...and ringers. :thumbsup:

Good Luck .. and be safe!

........................................... "DOC"
Cheap-Azz ... Rather spend it on decoy's club!

Duck Heaven
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting