diver hunting??

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

diver hunting??

Postby quacker_smacker90 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:34 pm

i discovered a new spot for diver hunting today. its on the open water. its a small point about 200 yrds long and man the divers buzzed that place like you wouldent believe! so i am goin there tomorrow after school to se what i can do but i was wondering is there any way i can intice them into landing? i only have 12 decoys and they usually buzz them but thats in the river that i hunt. is the open water the same way? thanks for the help!
quacker_smacker90
hunter

Re: diver hunting??

Postby Duck Heaven » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:55 pm

quacker_smacker90 wrote: i was wondering is there any way i can intice them into landing?

Yep! .......... Pull the trigger! :cool: :yes:

Cheap-Azz ... Rather spend it on decoy's club!

Duck Heaven
hunter

Postby Duck Heaven » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:33 am

"Quacker"

You could add movement to your spread ... something along the line of a Robo-Duk or any type of spinning-wing duck. Ducks will obviously focus on the movement of the moving deke ..instead of the static blocks ...sitting on the water.

One other item you may want to try ... is to change the formation of your spread. Perhaps from your boat / blind ...... set-up a "U" shaped formation and with your blind .. just inside the bottom of the "U". You could place "movement" (spinning wing) to the right or left of your spread ... but to the inside portion of the "U" and somewhat closer to your boat.

This tactic ... I have usually found that wary birds will commit too! :thumbsup:

..................................... "DOC"

Cheap-Azz ... Rather spend it on decoy's club!

Duck Heaven
hunter

Postby hankrt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:24 pm

Good advise....also make sure you are using diver decoys with lots of white on them. If the white has faded, put some new paint on them. I used to hunt off of Port Hope on a point and all I used was a dozen milk jugs painted black and white tied on a long line and did real well. I even shot mallards occasionally.........good luck
hankrt
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting