DNR Banned Spinning wing decoys

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

DNR Banned Spinning wing decoys

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:59 am

I am just wondering of anyone else heard about this proposal and if they had a chance to express their opinion? I was not informed of this issue or when it was going to be voted on.

From what I just read, They have banned the use of SWD (spinning wing decoys) in the Shiawassee game area. Aparently this was pushed for by a group called SFCHA (shiawassee flats citizens and hunters association) and they tried to push for it to cover ALL of Michigans Managed areas.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: DNR Banned Spinning wing decoys

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 pm

You got it in that deal. Good that they at gone, bad how it went down. Pm me I you want details.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:12 pm

g_maxson wrote: Good that they at gone.

WHY :huh:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I wouldn't mind a statewide ban for a year, but mainly because I don't use SWD. :biggrin:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
g_maxson wrote: Good that they at gone.

WHY :huh:

When layout hunting, I do not find it pleasing to the eye to see flashing all down the shoreline. Just personal preference.

Read my post in the Honey Hole thread for my thoughts. Basically, they pushed this through under the radar. Good for them, they knew how to get it done. What irks me is that the people behind this want the pro spinner guys to believe they had a say and it is their own fault they didn't speak up, when there was basically no way to know.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby shiawassee_kid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 pm

really gene, you still bitching about this...
shiawassee_kid
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 am

he's not the only one pissed. you guys that got them banned take your liberties pretty lightly :no:

Anybody followed the qulity deer management guys that want to ban tags for deer smaller than 3 points on one side? they are doing it the right way, i am not a deer hunter and I know all about there agenda....
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:26 am

jehler wrote:he's not the only one pissed. you guys that got them banned take your liberties pretty lightly :no:

Anybody followed the qulity deer management guys that want to ban tags for deer smaller than 3 points on one side? they are doing it the right way, i am not a deer hunter and I know all about there agenda....

:thumbsup:

Right on brother.

IMO this was a sneeky way of one group pushing something thru "claiming" that they had data to back it up. I will still hunt the area just to spite the antis and will put out a bunch of "flapping wing" decoys painted ORANGE. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I do agree that we as hunters should be able to get laws passed that benifit the hunter but in a way I blame the DNRE too. they could have posted this in this years "rule book" and at all the Managed game areas and gave a web site for hunter input and for hunters to cast their vote. I would bet that they outcome would have been different :hammer:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gotmygreens » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Time will tell fellas. What did all of us do before the advent of spinning wing decoys? Did we shoot ducks? I personally think this will be a good experiment at SRSGA. Perhaps the quality will improve. Sure did for me last year after I quit using SWD for the last three weeks of the season in the fields at Shiawassee.
gotmygreens
Newb

Postby E_meister » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Haven't been on in a while, but this cold weather has got me itchin for some ducks.

I was glad to see a post on this already. I am on the fence on this issue... here's a couple of my opinions:

I think SWD can be nice... but their biggest impact in my opinion is pulling down high flight birds, but when they first came out I also noticed that birds didn't "work" as much... they just went straight in... it helped them commit.

I think that this helped, but it also made everyone spend the money on the new SWD.

One thing we might see without SWD is a lot more pass shooting from fields around us if birds aren't committing as well?

At the same time I miss the old days when I didn't have to worry about the SWD falling in the water, and the stupid squeeking / rattling from it in the early morning hours.

I will still hunt out there and the hot fields will still be hot, my biggest hope with this "experiment" is that it will put a little more emphasis on some of the skills of duck hunting again such as decoy setup and "sweet talkin" them birdies in.
Shake it more than 3 times and you're playin with it.
E_meister
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting