Duck hunting Michigan

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Duck hunting Michigan

Postby BEAST90 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 am

I mostly hunt lakes around the west michigan area. All I have currently is 4 dozen Mallard, and a few woody decoys. Would it be worth it to invest in some diver decoys like buffle head, teal, blue bill etc...? I have hunted with my current decoys for 2 or so years, I am wondering if this change would be good.

Thanks,

Nick
BEAST90
Newb

Re: Duck hunting Michigan

Postby Adventurer79 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:35 am

Guess it would depend on where your hunting and what your seeing. I would say yes. Without a major investment or strategy change I would say 6 Buffies would do a world of good. If your able to play the open water game then go for it. Couple dozen each of redheads and bluebills or ringers and you'll be on your way.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby BEAST90 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks I appreciate your input. I hunt a pretty good sized lake. Didn't really see many mallards for some reason. Shot a good amount of wood duck, few ring neck and blue bill, and the rest gadwall. Every once in a while I'd see golden eye, red heads. A lot of buffle head but never shot any. Yea I think ill start off with some basic diver deeks then go from there. I probably should get some new canada deeks too, the ones I have right now are pretty beat to hell.
BEAST90
Newb

Postby MotorCityDuckman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 pm

My advice, if the birds are there...put em there! I have a set of just about every species... when that bird is in, those dekes are going in. I try to use the general migration periods for certain birds as a guide as to what Im bringing with me and then tweak based on what I am seeing.

A man much wiser than myself once told me, "birds of a feather flock together."
MotorCityDuckman
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting