Houghton Lake

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Houghton Lake

Postby Adventurer79 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:51 am

A buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going to Houghton Lake for the opener this year. I've never hunted it but I'm imagining a lot of pressure and a lot of dock ducks. I think we're going to try it just wondering what to expect. Are divers there in huntable numbers or are we better off staying closer to shore? Should we bring the full spread or is less more?
Adventurer79
hunter

Re: Houghton Lake

Postby diverbeginner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:04 am

I hunted it last year maybe the 2nd or 3rd week of season and we got skunked. There were maybe 3-5 guies out that I could see but no one was doing alot of anything. There were alot of dock ducks, we were targeting divers. All we saw was 1hen mallard 1 broadbill, we did have a unsucessful sneak on some golden eyes. It was a bluebird day and also our first time on houghton so dont let this post be your deciding factor but just figured id throw in my two cents. Good luck.
diverbeginner
hunter

Re: Houghton Lake

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:48 pm

My son lives across from the lake and there are ducks there but not any numbers especially this year. We have hunted it the last few years and got a few but no limits, It is easier to hunt woodies at the dam than mallards on the lake, The water can get rough but if you get where the ducks want to be you can get a few. I have never taken any divers there but they are probably around.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting