Duck Hunting Forum banner

Fish pointe hunt

4K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Theo713 
#1 ·
Planning on a fish pointe hunt in late October. Never hunted there before, any info or secrets? Do I need a boat or can I get by with wadders?

#3 ·
:sniper: Skybusters.

fish point is a good hunt if you know the area and get drawn in the top 20 or so. usually there are around 130 parties on the first weekends and around 70 or so weekdays then it settles down pretty quick after 4 or 5 weeks. waders are fine but watch out for the channels, they are well over your head. And if you are not letting the ducks work you will hear about it from the parties around you. :fingerpt:

#4 ·
skybusters get their asses busted at the point. im just kiddin but there rele is no need for it. the birds will work just fine pretty much anywhere up there. if one group is too high, the next group will come out even higher if you shoot. i hunt up there every weekend. there are a few other good spots if you dont get drawn, but i am not allowed to disclose that information :shades: lol

#5 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Is there an AM hunt & PM hunt everday throughout the season?

Whats a good spread to use? Could I get away w/ 2-3 dozen mallard floaters and 1/2 canadas?

Like I said we normally hunt honkers in Fennville with a couple hundred fullbodys. They have moved the season to Dec-Jan in recent years.

#6 ·
I have hunted there for over 30 years now and have hunted with as little as 1 doz decoys and as many as 4 doz. it depends on the area, wind, other hunters around you and what part of season you are hunting. A couple dozen (including your geese) is plenty for someone new to the area.

#7 ·
Fish point is a great spotif you get a good draw.When the water wasnt up a fewyears ago, gettin a draw with water was an uphill struggle. Now, you have to be careful even in waders. If you dont get a blind draw you should take somethin to get the dogs out of the water and stay fresh and dry. Skybusters arent an issue but after seein a few flights in a row scared off because of it will definitely piss you off.

#8 ·
Eaglebaywaterfowler said:
.When the water wasnt up a fewyears ago, gettin a draw with water was an uphill struggle. Now, you have to be careful even in waders. Skybusters arent an issue but after seein a few flights in a row scared off because of it will definitely piss you off.
How are the water levels this year? i havent got a chance to check them out. They arent an issue? you must be crazy

#10 ·
theo that site is definitely a nice thing to have. thanx for posting that. and the new pumping station should help out a lot with getting the outer fields as flooded as the 20's and stuff

#14 ·
Called FP and there answering machine says that this weekend (Sept 18th-19th) is their youth hunt.

Still hoping to find some harvest data out. If anyone is going to be there and could snap a photo of any info they post about it would be greatly helpful.

#15 ·
I was told that they are not doing even the weekly harvest info anymore as it cost too much to pay someone to go thru all the cards and compile the data. Cost cutting everywhere....

The camper is ready to roll :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I was there today scouting a bit. No water yet and the bay looks to be about a foot lower than last year at this time. All I can say abou the number of ducks and geese i saw is :biggrin:

#20 ·
waterfowlhunter said:
I was told that they are not doing even the weekly harvest info anymore as it cost too much to pay someone to go thru all the cards and compile the data. Cost cutting everywhere....

The camper is ready to roll :thumbsup:
How much room do they have for campers there? Is there alot of campers? I have never been there. I was thinking of trying it this year for a change up.

#21 ·
there are a couple options for camping. 1. which is the campground right down the road holds around 15 trailors. no electricity. just 1 port a potty. but is close which is nice. 2. (which is my favorite and is what we do every year) quanacca sea (sp) campground is like 15 minutes away from fish pte. it has electricity and outhouses. and the best part is, is that its right on the bay so you can take a five minute walk to go hunting. and the campground is never crowded

#23 ·
Last year they started ticketing campers. Make sure you have your camp permit properly filled out and do not leave your camper for more than 24 hours. They ticketed A lot of guys last year that brought their campers up a week early and even a couple of guys that left for a couple of days got hamered. I guess it is a pretty good fine too. We take our 5th wheel up and run the generator pretty steady but stay for the first 2 weekends and all week. Aparently the DNRE needed some more $$$ last year, I heard that they wrote 32 tickets around the fish point area. They do daily checks and put a card on your door with their number on it if they do not see someone at the camper. When you get the card you have to call them and they come out to verify that you are the owner of the trailer and it is you on the park permit so it is hard to have someone else call for you to cover while your gone. I was also told that a couple of guys got pretty heated about it and the DNR started showing up with a state police officer to issue the tickets.

#25 ·
You might be better in a campground with that setup. We put in a 30' and 18' boat and 3 trucks but you can get blocked in a couple of the areas due to the number of campers and vehicles there. Then there is the one guy that thinks he runs the parking area and tries to tell you his "rules" of camping there. He wants your generator off by 9pm, tells where you should set up and will also tell you how he knows the area better than anyone alive. I think he stays there from opener thru thanksgiving. it is funny to hear everyone talking about "that guy" at the draw. He parks at the lookout tower and is usually the first camper on the left. when you get there go say hi, you'll be there for hours :lol3:

We will set up middle of next week and watch the area activity.

My wife has had me remodeling the kitchen and one of the baths, so I now have 1 week to rig decoys, prep the boat (needs battery and fuel tank along with the blind installed) and pack. along with take a couple of deer this weekend and clean up the Leaves from the maples and oaks that seem to know when I am very busy :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.