Harsens island lodging

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Harsens island lodging

Postby bluebill25 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am

Anyone know if there is a motel, decent B&B or houses/cabins for rent on Harsen's Island. I'm headed there the end of October.
bluebill25
Newb

Re: Harsens island lodging

Postby hankrt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:32 pm

There are no hotels or lodging that I am aware of on the Island. Your best bet would be New Baltimore which is 8-10 miles from the Ferry. Why are you headed to Harsens?
hankrt
hunter

Postby bluebill25 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Planning on hunting the refuge
bluebill25
Newb

Postby hankrt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:36 am

Good Luck, not much going on over there. Hope your not planning on traveling to far.
hankrt
hunter

Postby bluebill25 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

In general, or just right now? We are planning on hunting there the first week of Nov. I live out of state now and used to do a bit of hunting at the management area and did OK in the past... have things changed out there?
bluebill25
Newb

Postby hankrt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:17 am

To be honest, everything at Harsens is based on the weather and how the migration moves through. To cold to fast, they hit all at once and move out, gradual cold fronts moves them in slower and keeps fresh birds in the area most of the season. Last year was the worst year I have seen there ever. Cold front early brought down some birds in October and within a day or two they were already educated. We lived with those smart buggers for the entire month of November, the next cold front was on the last weekend of the season in early December. So with that said, it's all about the weather. I would call up before you make the long trip if I were you.
hankrt
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting