distance between hunting parties

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

distance between hunting parties

Postby Joshua » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello everyone. New to the site and just got done scouting my spot I will be sitting on the opener. I will be trying to get up an hour and a half before shooting hours but last year guys were everywhere so I moved away from the main spot. This year I am bringing some good friends and I am worried hunting pressure may push someone to my spot away from the main group. My question is how close is too close if I need to sit in the main spot which is a pond with brush and grass 300 yards wide and around a mile long. Last year there were at least 5 parites hunting the main pond. This is on state land so It is first comers get the spot. Any opinions are appreciated, good luck.
Joshua
hunter

Re: distance between hunting parties

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 pm

The rule of thumb I like to use is: Don't sit closer to someone than you would want someone to sit to you. It's a common courtesy thing, first come first served, if you are late to the party find somewhere else. Several hundred yards at least, but that is just my personal preference. Really I would want to be further than that, but in less than ideal situations that is about my threshold. I don't feel comfortable if I can as much as see someone else. Although it sounds like your spot is not large enough to offer such a luxury.

Use your good judgement if there are others there when you show up. If you can get far enough away that you would feel comfortable being the guy on the other end, then you are probably fine. And don't go downwind of someone, at all costs.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Joshua » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Ok, that is what I was thinking too. The whole area has no real order for where a hunter can sit, just a series of ponds around a large pond. I will be sitting by 0545 if all goes to plan, I just feel bad for all the bow hunters that also frequent the area. Thanks for your help and good luck.
Joshua
hunter

Postby Rajah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Joshua wrote:Ok, that is what I was thinking too. The whole area has no real order for where a hunter can sit, just a series of ponds around a large pond. I will be sitting by 0545 if all goes to plan, I just feel bad for all the bow hunters that also frequent the area. Thanks for your help and good luck.

I'll be there by 5:44... :biggrin:
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Rajah wrote:
Joshua wrote:Ok, that is what I was thinking too. The whole area has no real order for where a hunter can sit, just a series of ponds around a large pond. I will be sitting by 0545 if all goes to plan, I just feel bad for all the bow hunters that also frequent the area. Thanks for your help and good luck.

I'll be there at 6............. on Friday :yes:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Joshua » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:23 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:
Rajah wrote:

I'll be there at 6............. on Friday :yes:

I think guys may do this here, its state land and we saw a few hundred wood ducks and mallards on weds. Night in the ponds. It should be a good time. I got my buddies getting up at 5, hopefully I can talk them into 4. I know I won't sleep.
Joshua
hunter

Postby Joshua » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 pm

The situation was the sdame as last year. Lots of hunters, but we were all spread out and shooting every way. Not the safest spot but no one was hit with falling steel. Wound up getting a couple wood ducks, which is impresive because the people I brought are new to shooting moving game, lots of misses. Will try it again in a few hours. Good luck everyone and stay safe.
Joshua
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:00 pm

I like to be a good 300 yds from any other party. That way the birds that are working my decoys do not get shot at when they swing wide to come in for landing. and at 300 yds you still get shot raining down on you from other parties.

I know of a couple of holes that guys will spend the night in so that they get it. Happened this year too. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:07 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote: I know of a couple of holes that guys will spend the night in so that they get it. Happened this year too. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

We shined off three boats on opening morning trying to get into where we were. I'm glad I picked up that new spotlight :yes:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting