How was your Season?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

How was your Season?

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Mine wasn't great, but it was better than last years. Plenty of firsts and I learned a lot.

Lets just say I've put all of my remaining eggs in the same basket for the 2-day late season. The New Year can't get here fast enough!

How was your 2010 season?
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Re: How was your Season?

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Pretty slow. Things picked up the last couple weeks, but the amount of times I got to hunt was minimal compared to last year. I did have probably a couple of the best hunts with my dad in quite a while, which meant a lot since I'm moving out west soon and won't be able to hunt with him nearly as much as I have in the past.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Adventurer79 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:55 pm

If it we're counting season totals I would call it lousy.
But.
My goal this year was to learn as much as I could. From Michigan to Huron I moved around a lot, covering new water, never hunter the same place more than twice after the first week. Lots of firsts here also. 10 lakes five for the first time, 6 different counties 7 different species, 2 openers, first Goldeneye, first scoter, first GPS and a bunch of waypoints I will definately be going back to.
Although I didn't come close to my numbers goal I can say with absolute cetainty that I did in fact learn just about as much as I possibly could. All that, very few skunks, and a new rifle at the DU banquet definately made it a year to remember.
On the downside it was a year plauged with broken equipment and missed opportunities. I destroyed some wheel bearings, shear pins, prop hubs and other assorted moving parts. I missed some beutiful birds that were right in my face and slept in through 2 of what would likely have been my best hunts. Oh well.

Pack it away, repair the damages and start getting ready for next year.

Definately the shortest 60 day season I can remember.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:05 am

QUOTE:"On the downside it was a year plauged with broken equipment and missed opportunities. I destroyed some wheel bearings, shear pins, prop hubs and other assorted moving parts. I missed some beutiful birds that were right in my face and slept in through 2 of what would likely have been my best hunts. Oh well.

Pack it away, repair the damages and start getting ready for next year."

Adventure, this is duck hunting!!!As this is your first year, may I susggest you try to move away from "goals" in regards to ducks harvested!! It will make your hunting trips more enjoyable. You had some great pictures you shared, thats THE GOOD STUFF.

Continual work on gear and making your rig better all year long, thats the part that I enjoy, also assuring it is READY every time you hit the road and water. I have buddies that just put stuff away and then break it out the night before opening day or worse, at the boat ramp on opening morning!!

Agree on the season, I hunted hard this year as I am between jobs and it just was more off days then on days. Walk in hunts with my dog and good cigar, sitting and watching the sun go down, produced the most enjoyable hunts for me this year, 1 or 2 ducks and back to cottage with in 35 minutes.

Sunday 12/5 was of course best day of year, limited out in the am.

Keep posting those pictures, many have done the same as you, traveled around scouting and hunting for future spots. KUDOS to you for this as many feel that others on this chat owe them locations to hunt as they are "new hunters"!!

Happy Holidays
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Joshua » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 am

I have been buying a waterfowl lisence for a few years now, just in case I see ducks while I am out grouse/woodcock hunting in october. This is the first year my hunting group has actually tried to hunt ducks and we did well. Our spots are 99% wood ducks so that was the majority of our harvest.
I bought 2 dozen mallard decoys, made some other decoys and tried sitting and calling around allegen county with little luck shooting ducks, saw thousands of them tho which was very cool.
Now the goose season opened up in my area and I will try to harvest a honker or two, don't have high hopes for it because I only have 2 goose decoys made, 8 in the process. I also have very little time and last I heard about 20 inches of white stuff in my hunting areas.
I will try to get out on new years and a little bit of goose, but I am also already planning for next year.
Joshua
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 am

Joshua wrote:I have been buying a waterfowl lisence for a few years now, just in case I see ducks while I am out grouse/woodcock hunting in october. This is the first year my hunting group has actually tried to hunt ducks and we did well. Our spots are 99% wood ducks so that was the majority of our harvest.
I.

Ahhhh, presume you are hunting grouse and woodcock with steel shot then???????
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
Joshua wrote:I have been buying a waterfowl lisence for a few years now, just in case I see ducks while I am out grouse/woodcock hunting in october. This is the first year my hunting group has actually tried to hunt ducks and we did well. Our spots are 99% wood ducks so that was the majority of our harvest.
I.

Ahhhh, presume you are hunting grouse and woodcock with steel shot then???????

I thought the same thing, and he must have also got a Federal stamp just in case
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Joshua » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Did not assme I had to confirm that I can read hunting regs. I always think there is a CO waiting for me at my truck so I call and bug the plainwell office and any CO who takes my obscure question. I have a plug in my deer shotgun in case my waterfowl guns break I am ready to go. I also hand check evry round that goes in my pocket, always have and always will be carefull because I run into more COs than anyone else in this forum. The last Saturday of the season one of the COs in allegen county recognized my truck and kept on driving. I don't take risky shots and have risked my life to try and get my game.
Yes I had only steel shot while doing my upland/waterfowl jump shooting combo. Shot 3 teal last year no grouse or woodcock, one deer. Year before was year 1 and I got one woodie, and one grouse. One deer, before that just read the waterfowl regs and got confused on everything but seasons cost of fed and state licences and that I needed non toxic shot, steel is still all I can afford, but it puts down waterfowl and upland all the same, you just point and shoot. The lead only comes out now for bunnies out of the 20 and turkeys and coyotes for the 10 and 12.
Before more questions arise, the deer were dropped with a .50 hornady bullet. An excelent round if anyone is searching for a good affordable muzzleloading bullet.
Joshua
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 am

Joshua wrote:Did not assme I had to confirm that I can read hunting regs. Before more questions arise, the deer were dropped with a .50 hornady bullet. An excelent round if anyone is searching for a good affordable muzzleloading bullet.

Whoa up there sport, no one jumped your %^&*, just was assuring as your post was not clear.

We are all hunters on here and stand together, and that means helps each other.

Happy Holidays, enjoy your harvest of wild game!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:32 am

If we could have avoided fishermen and jack$#@ then this would have ben a great year. Birth of our second child coincided with a great year with my hunting buddy. We took close to 50 birds total between the two of us, found several great new spots and my hunting buddy in his fifth year took firsts with: bluebill, gadwall and an awesome drake hooded merganser. I took my first gaddie too and on the last weekend we took six awesome mallards which two were banded 15 numbers apart. The two birds were not even close in realtion to each other. Took the best deer of my life too. As for this post, I enjoyed the last post saying we are a hunting fraternity who need to support each other. So for the d-bags riding around in their boats, running into rafted ducks only to attempt to "jump" shoot them; quit. You ruined a great morning and only tarnish duck hunters. On a positive note to end, great year with close friends, everyone returned safe and was just another year to savor.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

blackduckkilla13 wrote:If we could have avoided fishermen and jack$#@ then this would have ben a great year. Birth of our second child coincided with a great year with my hunting buddy. We took close to 50 birds total between the two of us, found several great new spots and my hunting buddy in his fifth year took firsts with: bluebill, gadwall and an awesome drake hooded merganser. I took my first gaddie too and on the last weekend we took six awesome mallards which two were banded 15 numbers apart. The two birds were not even close in realtion to each other. Took the best deer of my life too. As for this post, I enjoyed the last post saying we are a hunting fraternity who need to support each other. So for the d-bags riding around in their boats, running into rafted ducks only to attempt to "jump" shoot them; quit. You ruined a great morning and only tarnish duck hunters. On a positive note to end, great year with close friends, everyone returned safe and was just another year to savor.

Awesome post :thumbsup:

We also noticed the most disrepectfull and against the law folks this year, then ever before.
Driving birds to other hunters.
Running up into a creek with two guys on the bow, guns blaring as ducks blew out every which way.
And a lot of shooting way after sundown!!!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Weedwacker wrote: And a lot of shooting way after sundown!!!

I must have missed the memo about legal shooting time being bumped another 30 min earlier in the AM. I was hearing shots a solid half hour before LST, I didn't even have my gun loaded and at least 4 groups were already blasting away on opening day
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:49 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:
Weedwacker wrote: And a lot of shooting way after sundown!!!

I must have missed the memo about legal shooting time being bumped another 30 min earlier in the AM. I was hearing shots a solid half hour before LST, I didn't even have my gun loaded and at least 4 groups were already blasting away on opening day

Yep, hear that also. Must admit it scared the crap out of me when at dark setting decoys, with my headlamp still on, a volley of shots go off!!!

Can only presume: desperate times calls for desperate measures!!!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 am

weedwacker, you and I hunt the same bodies of water so we are seeing the same issues. We tried to catch the guy that ran down the ducks but to no avail. Therefore, we put a call into the DNR. Never heard early or late shooting though. Just a bunch of idiots in boats. Have fun everyone and enhoy the late season if there is any open water.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby Joshua » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:46 pm

We should all just have to wear back tags. I know my dad had to wear them here back in the 80s but that was before my time so I do not know if all hunters had to wear them.
Joshua
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 pm

FANTASTIC. Not as much shooting as past years (I only burned thru one case this year) but the birds we got were nice. I probably shot more geese this year than ducks but I found a couple of new spots and am looking forward to next year. My dad hunted a lot more this year as he felt better than he did last year. I Did decide to sell my 18' X60" boat and will be buying a 16 x 44 as I do not do a lot of deep water hunting and both my sons have moved to CT (one on subs in Navy and the other for a Job) and I need a boat I can handle on my own. The 35hp Hyper sport will be fun on a smaller boat :biggrin:

So looking back I had an enjoyable season Loved the companionship (the best part of a hunt) and did not run into any idiots this year. I gave the SBE II a good work out and cleaned out all the odd ammo from the cabinet. Found that both my sons waders leak at the crotch :yes: and that my truck still only gets 10mpg. Last year I picked up 4 bands and NOT a single one this year. but every day I can look into the back yard and watch the 4 wild mallard drakes that have made themselves at home with our tame ducks. they go into the kennel at night and I ocassionally pick them up and admire their colors and tail curls. They have not left yet so they must not mind me too much ( that and the fact that they have an unlimited supply of cracked corn )

I have been taking a lot of pictures of them for my decoy painting task next year. Those wing patches really show up more than I thought they did when the ducks are sitting on the water

Opening Day 172lb dressed out 8 point and 165lb dressed doe. I still have a buck tag and doe tag to fill yet during ML season.
11-09-10 018.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Adventurer79 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:41 am

Weedwacker wrote:Adventure, this is duck hunting!!!As this is your first year, may I susggest you try to move away from "goals" in regards to ducks harvested!! It will make your hunting trips more enjoyable. You had some great pictures you shared, thats THE GOOD STUFF.

:huh:
"1st year" ??????????
:no:
I didnt realize I got demoted. Perhaps I was unclear.
:fingerpt:
Also, my point was that ducks harvested made no impact on the quality of the season.
Time flies when your havin fun, and from where I sit the frustration of the equipment problems is short term. Looking back those times often bring a bigger smile than a downed bird. "Remember that time the wheel fell of your trailer" :rolleyes:
YES!!!! and I always will. :thumbsup:
Biggest regret was the lack of pictures. Looking back at this year I dont have much to share.....
Next year.
There's always next year.
:beer:

New additions to the fleet this year were a sunfish and a little 14' Starcraft.
"Dude!!! Your tire's fallin off!!!" Wish I woulda taken a picture before we tore it down.
400 miles round trip, without firing a shot. Still had a great time with good friends. Unionville DU banquet was nice as always
"Remember that time you pulled the cord right out of the motor"
First Scoter
Fisrt Goldeneye
Note to self, Always take the pictures in the field. Maybe at the launch at the very latest. Something about a pile of dead ducks on the ground just doesn't do it for me.
And closer please! Somewhere in here are 3 buffies on what ended up being my last hunt.
Overall, great memories. Great year.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:35 am

Our season was great, best in many years!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 am

Had a great season, i hunted it from start to finish and hated to see it end. Wish we werent froze out for the late hunt or i woulda participated....plus, my truck got totaled and traveling to the southern end of the state was outta the question....That said, I hunted less because i was so busy at work, but had more quality hunts thats for sure. Numbers were great for my time spent, not that that determines a hunts worth, but it sure is fun to heat the barrel up! Shot many species(got some beautiful birds), hunted allot of places, got bands and most improtantly lots of good memories hunting with my Dad and Brother, other family and friends. :thumbsup:

I cant wait for next year. Gonna expand my horizons and build a sneak boat and get at a ton of birds i was unable to this year. Lookign forward to hunting for puddlers at water level. Also gonna be another expensive year as i plan on buying another boat/motor, building the sneak boat, expanding my fb goose spread, and purchasing another high end goose call....I love this sport, cannot wait to take my cousins on the youth hunt and early goose....im affraid i might get a diver addiction started as well. :lol:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby jacobv75 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Adventurer79 wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:Adventure, this is duck hunting!!!As this is your first year, may I susggest you try to move away from "goals" in regards to ducks harvested!! It will make your hunting trips more enjoyable. You had some great pictures you shared, thats THE GOOD STUFF.

:huh:
"1st year" ??????????
:no:
I didnt realize I got demoted. Perhaps I was unclear.
:fingerpt:
Also, my point was that ducks harvested made no impact on the quality of the season.
Time flies when your havin fun, and from where I sit the frustration of the equipment problems is short term. Looking back those times often bring a bigger smile than a downed bird. "Remember that time the wheel fell of your trailer" :rolleyes:
YES!!!! and I always will. :thumbsup:
Biggest regret was the lack of pictures. Looking back at this year I dont have much to share.....
Next year.
There's always next year.

New additions to the fleet this year were a sunfish and a little 14' Starcraft.
"Dude!!! Your tire's fallin off!!!" Wish I woulda taken a picture before we tore it down.
400 miles round trip, without firing a shot. Still had a great time with good friends. Unionville DU banquet was nice as always
"Remember that time you pulled the cord right out of the motor"
First Scoter
Fisrt Goldeneye
Note to self, Always take the pictures in the field. Maybe at the launch at the very latest. Something about a pile of dead ducks on the ground just doesn't do it for me.
And closer please! Somewhere in here are 3 buffies on what ended up being my last hunt.
Overall, great memories. Great year.

was this on portage lake? where on the lake?
jacobv75
hunter

Postby cazzierock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am

mine was good. got around 100 birds a peace my buddy and i. my dd was her 1st time huning she got 15 birds and 5geese. not bad for every other weekend for her.age 12 trying to find a spot to hunt timber once or twice. i cant wait for late season to get here.
cazzierock
hunter

Postby MantonMan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:15 am

Well my season was up in Alaska this year, Fairbanks area. This was my first actual season, I've gone a couple times with my brother but I was still rather unknowledgable on it and being new to this area for the most part I didn't know of many spots. I took one of my buddies up here along who is also new to the sport but now loves it. The season was alright, between my buddy and I we only took about 30 birds, most of which were Scaups and Gadwalls, a few Teal and also a few really nice Mallards. One of the Scaups my friend shot had a band. We also met other duck hunters out there and we put in a lot of scouting time throughout the season. We found a good number of promising spots near the end of the season. So the beginning of next season which will be up here for me again should be pretty good, then in late October I come back to Michigan and look forward to getting out with my brother and friends from back home again :smile:
MantonMan
hunter

How was your Season?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

MantonMan wrote:Well my season was up in Alaska this year, Fairbanks area. This was my first actual season, I've gone a couple times with my brother but I was still rather unknowledgable on it and being new to this area for the most part I didn't know of many spots. I took one of my buddies up here along who is also new to the sport but now loves it. The season was alright, between my buddy and I we only took about 30 birds, most of which were Scaups and Gadwalls, a few Teal and also a few really nice Mallards. One of the Scaups my friend shot had a band. We also met other duck hunters out there and we put in a lot of scouting time throughout the season. We found a good number of promising spots near the end of the season. So the beginning of next season which will be up here for me again should be pretty good, then in late October I come back to Michigan and look forward to getting out with my brother and friends from back home again :smile:

you didn't miss much down here. Unless you really did your homework and spent more time scouting than hunting it was rough this year. I think I ended up with somewhere around 20 birds myself in 16 trips, and maybe only 15 more between my 3 hunting buddies. Shot most of the birds in about 1 week. The rest was real slow. Hopefully next year will be better.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Team widow maker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

my season went pretty good this i did a lot of scouting and it paid off in the long run i spent a lot of time chasing the birds around it seemed like every day the birds were on a different field or a different pond or a new part of the river. With the water being the way it was this year it made it even harder to find the birds but i just put my time in scouted hard and it paid off in the end i didnt do as good as i would have liked but over all it could have been worse but thats duck hunting you would always like it to be better but it never seems to go that way :lol3:
Team widow maker
hunter

How was your Season?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm

I think scouting was definitely the key this year with the lack of water. But between school and work I was having a hard time finding time to hunt.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting