You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 am

I haven't been on here in a bit but thought I would let everyone know that I got an email today that had the new season dates and the summary of motions at the CWAC meeting on August 6 to discuss season dates so for the informtain of all they are as follows.

North zone (UP): Sept 17 thru Oct 31 for geese and Sept 24 thru Nov 18 and Nov 24-27 for ducks

Middle zone (mid to northern LP): Oct 1 thru Nov 8, Nov 24-27 and Dec 3-4 for geese and Oct 1 thru Nov 27 and Dec 3-4 for ducks

South zone (lower LP): Oct 8 thru Nov 10 and Nov 24 thru Dec 4 for geese and Oct 8 thru Dec 4 and Dec 10-11 for ducks

Late goose season from Dec 31 thru Jan 29

For those of you that enjoy the two day season in January, WE NO LONGER GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a motion to have Dec 31 and Jan 1st for a south zone two day duck and the motion failed due to 12 were in favor and 5 opposed :mad:
The very next motion was for south zone late two day duck for the Dec 10 and 11 an it passed in a 13 in favor and 4 opposed.
I AM LIVID!!!!!! THOSE ARE THE BEST TWO DAYS WE GET AND 1 PERSON SCREWED THE WHOLE SOUTH ZONE!!!!!

If anyone would like to see the CWAC meeting summary, I have it and can email to anyone that would like to see it.

If anyone is wondering, you can drive and 1 1/2 hours south of the Michigan state line and hunt ducks into the middle of January :thumbsup: And they wonder why so many people are feed up with Michigans waterfowl season dates. Less than 80 miles seperate two months of season for ducks between MI and IN!!!!! This was the last straw for me!!! I'm getting envolved and finding out what credentials you have to have to be on that board. As soon as I know, so will you. :beer:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Re: You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!

Postby DirtyRic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 am

This is total BS...... The January dates were the best hunting anyone would ever see in michigan on private or public land. Probably a bunch of old timers on the board, who dont want to spend another January breaking ice to get to the ducks, so they moved it to benefit all of them. I agree, this sucks!
fowlhunter wrote:If it decoys chances are it's not leaving!
DirtyRic
hunter

Postby Boom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:08 am

Just curious. Why did they mess with the dates anyways?
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby cwsims84 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:30 am

Move to Oregon... Oct 15-Jan 22.... Goose all the way till March in some areas!
"....And I broke out my Blunderbuss!"
cwsims84
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 pm

No one really knows why they moved the dates!! The people sitting the board do and thats it with is BS!!! I called and left messages on a couple of phones today, lets see if anyone returns my phone call!!
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby DirtyRic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:47 pm

They are probably going to say that new years eve night and new years day late season makes people choose between celebrating the holiday or hunting. This would some how would effect hunter paricipation or some crap like that. IMHO it's about old guy's not getting out in the cold and the ice to hunt... But what do I know, I'm just a young buck I guess. Just a bummer I am not going to get to see the huge flocks of Canvasback's this January :no:
fowlhunter wrote:If it decoys chances are it's not leaving!
DirtyRic
hunter

Postby Joshua » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm

that is too bad, i hunted the 2 day late season last year for the first time, it was a lot of fun.
I do not understand why they do not close the season during the deer firearm, seems like everyone is deer hunting.I also never see any ducks while i am sitting out in the deer blind
awesome schedule would be to give everyone those 15 days that are used during deer season and plant them around christmas sometime, lots of birds the end of december into january.
Joshua
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:46 am

Joshua wrote:awesome schedule would be to give everyone those 15 days that are used during deer season and plant them around christmas sometime, lots of birds the end of december into january.

You have no idea how many people have said the same thing for years!!! DITTO sir. Tring to get permission to hunt land during the deer season blows too. Would be great to tach those days later in the seasonand make it easier to hunt private land :thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Boom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:43 am

Joshua wrote:awesome schedule would be to give everyone those 15 days that are used during deer season and plant them around christmas sometime, lots of birds the end of december into january.

The only problem with that is (it makes sense).

Has any of you went to one of these meetings? I never have but i think i am going to go next year. Maybe then i can understand or try atleast to understand the process.
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Most of the ducks have cleared out of the areas and fields I hunt by dec 15th so I never hunt the late season anyway and am usually hunting predators by then. and during Deer season Saginaw bay is still full of duck hunters hoping everyone else is deer hunting do there is less pressure on the ducks, Never works out that way and it tends to be a full house on November 15th. I travel north for the middle opener then back home for the southern opener.

I would like to see it open a week earlier if the water levels come back up but as it is right now the dates posted are what my group generally hunts anyway.

But I am still in support of a longer season if it benifits Michigan hunters.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Busman888 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 pm

I wish they would reline the duck and goose season open together in the U.P.
It sucks when a 100 mallards are buzzing the decoys in field on the goose opener.
:sad:
Busman888
Newb

Postby patrick.carrington » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Most of the ducks have cleared out of the areas and fields I hunt by dec 15th so I never hunt the late season anyway and am usually hunting predators by then. and during Deer season Saginaw bay is still full of duck hunters hoping everyone else is deer hunting do there is less pressure on the ducks, Never works out that way and it tends to be a full house on November 15th. I travel north for the middle opener then back home for the southern opener.

I would like to see it open a week earlier if the water levels come back up but as it is right now the dates posted are what my group generally hunts anyway.

But I am still in support of a longer season if it benifits Michigan hunters.

I feel you during the deer season, only problem for us down near the state line is land. Not alot of public to hunt like the thumb. I have never been to the bay city, Saginaw area to hunt and would like to. It seems like the hunters in that area see birds much differently than we do. The passed couple of years it has sucked in the center of the state until mid to late November and it always seems like we don't see a heavy bird pattern until after the season has closed or until the ice covers up everything, then it gets even heavier with a bigger veriaty of ducks. We still fill limits during the regular but its alot of work. That late weekend is much easier to pin birds and get permission to hunt on private land which for us is about 90% of were our hunting comes from because of lack of public land in a resonable distance. This well be the first year we haven't had those days so it will be vary interesting to see what we can scout during those days. It also bugs me that we get our season dates so late in the year. Messes with the guides too that fill duck hunts for those days and have to cancel business.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

I forgot to add that MI doesn't get to choose how many days we get to hunt. It comes from the US fish and wildlife service in the flyways. The link descibes it much better. Notice all the things that MI cuts like we can take 2 hens from USWFS that MI chops to 1.

http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.as ... Cache=True
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:30 am

patrick.carrington wrote:I forgot to add that MI doesn't get to choose how many days we get to hunt. It comes from the US fish and wildlife service in the flyways. The link descibes it much better. Notice all the things that MI cuts like we can take 2 hens from USWFS that MI chops to 1.

http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.as ... Cache=True

I am glad they cut it to one mallard hen, Out of all the Mallards we took last year there was only one hen total and that was not planned, It looked like young drake when it came in.

I would like to see a limit incerase on geese though during the normal season, 5 in the early season is nice but 1 or 2 for the regular season means we are done with geese in the first 1/2 hour, I would even be happy with 3 a day.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCoastie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 am

What I can't believe is it's so early! Last year I hunted in a t-shirt up here in the U.P.... :mad:
DUCoastie
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:59 pm

DUCoastie wrote:What I can't believe is it's so early! Last year I hunted in a t-shirt up here in the U.P.... :mad:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I have done that for the last few years at saginaw bay, Pain in the butt keeping the flys off the bagged geese in the early season too. My dad was stripped down to his boxers one year wading around in the water playing with the fish :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby benfish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:38 pm

We need to have splits like the rest of the universe. Open early for 2 weeks to please the t-shirt hunters, shut down for a few weeks and reopen the second week of November and run until like the 20th of December. add the remaining days (like 5) at New Years. Everyone would be happy with this setup. Early birds, diver hunters, and real hunters who want to kill birds no matter what the weather. Lets start talking about this or we will continue to get screwed. I am sick of killing wood ducks for 3/4 of the season and seeing 1000's of birds throughout December and into January.
benfish
Newb

Postby Brent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 am

benfish, you said it. I hunt mainly in the central and northern part of the LP and increasingly we only see wood ducks. By the time my favorite places get refreshed the season is about over.

As for the end of the two day late season hunt, that is the only time my friends and I pay a guide each year because we don't know anyone who lives down there. Obviously the four of us don't bring a ton of money his way, but its too bad that is over for his sake.
Brent
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Joshua wrote:that is too bad, i hunted the 2 day late season last year for the first time, it was a lot of fun.
I do not understand why they do not close the season during the deer firearm, seems like everyone is deer hunting.I also never see any ducks while i am sitting out in the deer blind
awesome schedule would be to give everyone those 15 days that are used during deer season and plant them around christmas sometime, lots of birds the end of december into january.

Amen brother. I've been saying this for years. I would love to see them take the 15 days of deer season and tack it on at the end of December. It'll make the deer hunters happy, it'll make the duck hunters happy, win-win anyone? It doesn't make sense that you can't hunt around the holidays. I remember fighting this when I was in college. I'd come home for Christmas break and see ducks EVERYWHERE, but couldn't hunt em, and seeing as how I played football all thru college, that was basically the only time I got to hunt, unless I had a bye week during season. Only problem I would foresee for this would be Thanksgiving. That has always been a big hunting day in my family (all teachers and football coaches), so I would hate to lose those days, but it wouldn't take but about 5 seconds to figure something out for that as well.
sws002
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 am

sws002 wrote:I would love to see them take the 15 days of deer season and tack it on at the end of December. It'll make the deer hunters happy, it'll make the duck hunters happy, win-win anyone? .

Could be for some but not for us, I usually have a couple of deer hanging on the 15th and then continue to hunt ducks thru deer season then they are all gone, We ccould hunt in Dec but it is a complete waste of time and effort as you might see one or two if your very lucky, aparently somewhere in the state there ducks in Dec but not where I hunt. but in mid november there are a LOT of them.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sws002 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
sws002 wrote:I would love to see them take the 15 days of deer season and tack it on at the end of December. It'll make the deer hunters happy, it'll make the duck hunters happy, win-win anyone? .

Could be for some but not for us, I usually have a couple of deer hanging on the 15th and then continue to hunt ducks thru deer season then they are all gone, We ccould hunt in Dec but it is a complete waste of time and effort as you might see one or two if your very lucky, aparently somewhere in the state there ducks in Dec but not where I hunt. but in mid november there are a LOT of them.

Oh, I agree, this would only be for the south zone. I hunt both parts of the LP and in the northern half, by the first part of December, pretty much everything is locked up and all the birds are long gone. Once you get about even with Grand Rapids and south, most of the major rivers never freeze up, so birds don't leave.
sws002
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:09 am

Patrick can you post the contact info for the committe so I may contact them too? The loss of the late season is horrible.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby 'dam'hunter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Finally!!! I have been trying to find other hunters as ticked off as I am about losing the 2 day late season. I would love to see them close duck hunting during deer season, have the season open one week earlier than normal then open back up the last week of December still giving us the 60 days. I think this would give the best of scenarios. It might actually give us an opportunity to shoot a few Teal on the front side pf the season, and it would give us more of an opportunity to hunt the migratory mallards a little longer that have always made the late season so enjoyable. If they're worried about the precious resident mallard population they should consider such. You can tell that most of the birds shot in the late season are migratory birds just by the size of them.
'dam'hunter
Newb

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 pm

'dam'hunter wrote:have the season open one week earlier than normal then open back up the last week of December still giving us the 60 days. I think this would give the best of scenarios. It might actually give us an opportunity to shoot a few Teal on the front side pf the season,

There's a reason we don't have an early teal season, just as many other ducks get killed as teal. They tried it before and it was an epic fail

I agree with closing the season for firearm deer, but say add those two weeks to the end of the season. Just as the weather is getting good we run out of time
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I could care less that the 2 day late season is gone. Split for zone 3 should be last week of October
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Next

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting