Michigan goose calls?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Michigan goose calls?

Postby thaner » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:14 pm

I know this is not the goose call forum but I want to get a new short reed for next year and I want to know what people in this area are using that works good for a hunting call. I hunt mid and west side of the state. I just started on the short reeds last year. I am using a Honky Tonk, Tim Grounds Super Mag poly, and I just got the goozilla. So far I can do some stuff on them all and they all have dif. pitch. The goozilla is real easy to blow and I can do everything on it and it is the fastest I have tried so far. I did try the SR-1 and SMH; the SMH was very nice and I am thinking of getting one if the cost is justified. I see a lot of recommendations for these, but for our area and real hunting conditions what works best around here? How about the Tim Grounds half-breed?

What's the best hunting call for the geese in my area?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:00 am

i hunt eastern side of the state and i blow lynch mob calls for hunting and comp. very good call. very well made and lynch is from Mi. PM if you have any other questions
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:28 am

Sounds as if you have a decent set of call already. What I've found with some of the guys I hunt with is that they can use them fairly well but they don't stick with them long enough to really get them to work/sing like they're capable. Have a bucket full of calls myself but have went back to the calls I was using 10 - 15 years ago. I'm comfortable and understand them without thinking. Practice. practice, practice is the key. Most calls can make many more useable sounds than you think.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:58 am

I hunt the southeast side of the state. I use the GK Giant Killer. To me, it is the best call that I own. It is easy to blow and will do what you need it to do. That is my recommendation. But just get one that you are comfortable with and stick with it.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:13 pm

Buy the call you sound good on, whether it be a $150 Foiles or a $20 Buck Gardner.For me I like my SMH
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby duckman3.5 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 am

I hunt the middle of the state (north of Lansing South of Alma) and have had great success with the Intimidator (Bartman Call)
duckman3.5
Newb

Postby Duck Heaven » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 pm

duckman3.5 wrote:I hunt the middle of the state (north of Lansing South of Alma) and have had great success with the Intimidator (Bartman Call)

I second that opinion .....

I own a couple of Bartman's Goose Calls ... as well as a few of his duck calls ..... and I find them absolutely awesome and easy to use :thumbsup:

As of this writing ... Bartman is undertaking orders for a new ...all-exclusive special edition .... hand made Goose Call ... that will sell for around $100.

His works are sure to become collectors items ...as well as awesome notes ... that his calls provide! :thumbsup:

Cheap-Azz ... Rather spend it on decoy's club!

Duck Heaven
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Hey man, I just moved to Jackson from Kalamazoo. I know how smart those Upjohn geese can be. I use Lewis Custom Calls made by David Lewis. He just move to north of Scotts from Kalamazoo. His calls are goose killin' machines. I used to use a SMH, not anymore(got rid of the thing). The Michigander from LCC is so much easier to blow and I can call so much faster on it. The good news is that they only cost $75 :mrgreen:
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:22 am

Hay thanks. I get out to the Scotts area from time to time. I was just out there a couple weeks ago shooting crows and should be back in a week or two for some turkey hunting. I'll give him a call.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:17 am

I have good luck with Quakhead's Goozilla. It retails for about 25 bucks and is super easy to blow with a good sound for a poly call!
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby FOWLMAN1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Another :thumbsup: for Lynch Mob calls,But if you want try several to see what you like,But i also recommend Lynch Mob Calls.
"Kill Em All"
FOWLMAN1
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting