millet?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

millet?

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm

I planted millet around and in my pond during the summer and now it is like 3 ft tall, this seems to be to tall for ducks.

do I need to knock it down, cut it, or something to make it short enough for geese and ducks?

or do i just leave it alone?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: millet?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 pm

I think I heard that if it was planted you can't do anything with it, if you were to cut it, it would be considered baiting. If it grows naturaly than you can cut/mow/whatever and it's okay. But you would probably want to verify that with the DNR or something.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby benellibrother » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Simple answer.....once the weather gets cold it slows down and eventually dies which it will fall over/break with high fall winds into the water for the birds to eat it OR you can manually knock it into the water little by little as birds move into your area so there is always enough to draw more birds in. I hunted a pond last year that the owner had planted japenese millet about 10 years ago, and that stuff was still going strong. The wind and nasty weather by mid october had knocked a lot into the water and the birds knocked down whatever was still standing. That stuff draws birds in like you wouldn't believe!!! Make sure to plant more next year even though it comes up good by itself.
benellibrother
hunter

Postby benellibrother » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Not to mention....since you planted it then it's a food plot...even if you cut it/knocked it down it's still a food plot and not just dumping food/seed to hunt over.
benellibrother
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:15 am

thanks
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Kinda cloudy, but to me it sounds as if you place it there, like dump it, then it would be considered baiting. I mean, flooded crop lands are legal to hunt at game areas and some of them are planted solid to corn and then mowed down to create open water areas in between. Im using Fish Point as an example here. So, IMO, your probably within the law since you grew it and are simply mowing it down. Best would be to call and have it verified though, but personally, i think your within the law.

From the 2011-2012 Waterfowl Digest
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/W ... 1904_7.pdf
By the aid of baiting (placing feed such as corn, wheat, salt, or other feed to constitute a lure or enticement), or on or over
any baited area where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is baited. Hunters should be aware that a baited area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait. Non-food imitations—for example, plastic corncobs—are not prohibited.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby benellibrother » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah, if in doubt just leave it up to the birds...they'll find it...trust me.....but then again, nature can always use a little help :yes:
benellibrother
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 pm

You mow your deer food plot dont you? Yes. That is not baiting. I dont see how it could be illegal to know down some millet.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 am

This post was also in the puddle duck section and many said that it was illegal to alter it unless dones so with a conventional farm practice. So, if thats the case, cutting it for silage would be a legal option.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 am

I think what I will do is, cut the millet, and throw it in our pasture for the horses to use as hay.

Do you think that is legal?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting