bird numbers?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

bird numbers?

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 pm

We put up our blind yesterday and we were pleasantly surprised by the number of birds we saw desite large numbers of boaters. We are just a bit pumped to say the least and I will try to post pictures of our blind set up soon/ just awesome if I may say so myself. Just thought I might ask if anyone else is seeing good numbers? AND for the sarcastic hunter and I am not web scouting.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Re: bird numbers?

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

I assume your talking ducks...I hunted the big water for geese today adn seen some ducks, but nothing that made me go OMG, look at all them ducks. I did see mallards, pintail, GW and BW, hooded Mergies, wood ducks and blacks. Only thing in any #'s was teal, mostly BW. Saw a boat load of geese, but they just stayed out off shore in the water. I cant say i blame them. Balmy 85 today....Looks like a cold push on wed just in time for the last day. Probably get covred up in them by Friday and itll be all over. :no:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:11 am

sorry I was talking about ducks. We saw very good numbers of mallards with many drakes with good color. We were also able to see some black ducks, and woodies too. I just got off the phone with my buddy from Saginaw Bay and he was mentioning that they are down birds from past years: they were bothered in the spring with all of the rain which may have hurt nesting. Plus, two waterfowl publications mentioned numbers of resident ducks are down this year in MI compared to last year's survey so we were surprised to see good numbers of birds. Cannot wait for the 8th.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Yep, i was hunting the west side of Saginaw Bay. I know a gal that works at the game area there and when they did their count the other day it was dismal. That last cold snap pushed allot of what we had out. And what replaced them didnt stay long either. Still plenty around the bay though. Should be a good youth hunt this weekend. Hoping the regular season is good, and im sure it will be, but being down 34% on great lakes mallard #'s from last year just cant bode well.

On a side note, Dad and knocked the snot outta the honkers this mornings. Talk about in your face shooting!!! :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Take_Em07 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

here in southern MI we have been seeing ungodly amounts of ducks while out goose hunting
Team DOWNZ Outdoors
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-DOWN ... 8313295767
Take_Em07
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting