Diver question

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Diver question

Postby Fowlmouth421 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm

I'll be doing most of my duck hunting in Eaton co. and I was wondering what chance there was I'd see any divers while I was out or would they stick to bigger waters?
Fowlmouth421
hunter

Re: Diver question

Postby Ringneck1986 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I don't know anything about the area you are hunting in we hunt divers on the missisippi river in north mo zone and central Illinois zones and my experience with them is they like big open water. However the wind can push divers into ponds and duck clubs well off the river at times. Also depends on the duck I've never seen buffleheads and ringnecks far from the river but redheads I've seen
Ringneck1986
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

I think youll do much better hunting the big water.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Cobra » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 pm

They don't cut across the state like they did 20, 30, 40 yrs ago and not sure where you'd hunt them there. Can't hunt the waters in Calhoun, Barry or Kazoo Ctys anymore (Riparian Laws) where they still land at times.............. Hit the big water
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby twentybucks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:45 pm

we have a few come through our area. we get them just before the end of the season. you will just have to scout for them, but you will have better luck on big water.
twentybucks
hunter

Postby frostypawsryan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:16 am

I believe I understand the riparian laws, but how would I know which lakes they limit hunting on?
Ryan
frostypawsryan
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting