Middle zone opener and a snow goose

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Middle zone opener and a snow goose

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:08 am

Well, did some scouting on Friday with the wild weather we had going on. Seemed to be geese everywhere. Found a couple fields with birds. Obtained permisson on a wheat and tried to get on a silage field, but it was already taken...It was LOADED....Got set up Saturday morning and we seen a few birds flying, but nothing like Friday. And most of what we did see were WAY high flyers heading south. So high we had trouble spotting them many times when we could hear them. The birds flew like that the whole morning. Seen a few lower flocks off to the distance, but nothing came our way. Finally had a group of five come in and we each scratched one down. They sure escape quickly in those 30+ mph winds....After that, pretty dead. Picked up at noon with our three geese. Will was stoked, his first ever goose from a layout. Talk about a happy hunter.
Also a red fox that slipped outta the corn and down the road.
I watched the kids all week for my Aunt and Uncle while they were at Simcoe fishing. They returned last night so we didnt scout or hunt. So, i just headed out to the wheat again this morning to see what might happen. Hunted alone, two trips out to get all my gear in the field. Very slow, didnt see many birds all morning other than in the distance. Finally had four come from the south, i gave em a few moans and clucks and they banked and locked right on and glided in to my left. In hinde sight, i should have shot, but opted to wait as i thought they were gonna come right over me. But, at the last moment they drifted slightly north and behind me. In and instant it was just too late and they landed behind me. I wasnt sure how far so i just waited. Tried to sneak a peak, but they caught me and off they went. Ah well. About a half hour later i see a white bird coming low. Like 20' off the plowed wheat to my right...I said to myself...NO WAY...its a SNOW!!! So, i let out a couple clucks and it responded both vocally and banked my way. Passed just behind me and then came right overhead. hooked around and glided right into the pocket where i stoned it at 15 yds. My first Michigan Snow Goose.:D
Some deer that ran from the woods to my NW and then ran back to it after encountering my truck at the end of the fence row...lol
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Re: Middle zone opener and a snow goose

Postby dankoustas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 am

Wow, a snow goose. I have yet to even see one while hunting in Michigan. Way to go
dankoustas
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 am

Thats the fourth one ive seen this week. Last year i had two snows and a blue coming in when a big flock of canadas drug them off....I see a few every year. Most i seen was about 50 in a flooded corn stubble one spring.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby choc24/7 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm

heard about the snow geese gettin here,,,,,buddy in au gres has been seeing them the last few years....
nothin like watchin' prior skybustin'

i usually have good seats for the show
choc24/7
hunter

Postby Boom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 am

Congrats on the birds Adam! I have heard stories of snows starting to make it here but i have never seen one. I have a nice spot all picked out in my house for one so i sure would like to see one and get a crack at him. By the way sure does look different at our spot now. I cannot wait to get in there.
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Boom wrote:Congrats on the birds Adam! I have heard stories of snows starting to make it here but i have never seen one. I have a nice spot all picked out in my house for one so i sure would like to see one and get a crack at him. By the way sure does look different at our spot now. I cannot wait to get in there.

I was up there this morning. Was gonna go goose hunting, but when i got to the field the farmer had chisel plowed it since Sunday. So, that shot that plan in the arse, so Dad and i had breakfast and reverted to scouting to utilize the morning. Went to "our spot" and you should have seen the ducks flying. Was very short lived however with the calm morning. First thing and done. Was a great sight though. Opener should be awesome there.

After that we went on the look out for geese. Very few flying. Followed one bunch to a pasture pond that there was no way we could hunt as its right next to the guys house. After that we headed west. Pretty uneventful until i i made another left turn to an area i had a feeling geese might be loafing...Well, i didnt find them there, because they were ALL sitting in a silage field. Needless to say, the farmer cut me off after introduced myself and ask if he gave permission to... with "kill all them geese!" "Theyre in here by 7:30 and leave around 9:30-10 am" "I dont care if you shoot 20"....So, i know where Dad and I will be i the morning hoping to get our four in short order and get outta there so we can have a few good hunts in that field. I wish we had Sandhill crane tags in Michigan. Theyre in amongst the geese as well. At least 200 Canada's in there this morning. Scouted our way home, which was pretty uneventful outside the wheat stubble we pounded them in in early season. Well, Its all green now and had at least 40+ in it this morning. So, i pulled into the farm to make sure we were still good to go there. Got the ok and headed for home. Pretty stoked to get after em. Will have to wait until Saturday to hunt the green wheat though as its in Zone 3...but im sure that Silage will tide us over until then. :biggrin:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

choc. , whos your buddy in augres? I grew up there and might know him.
THAXTER
hunter

Postby cam liden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 pm

i was goona ask the same thing Sam. how is your season going so far?
cam liden
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:25 pm

where in MI do u hunt?, i hunt on the west side in muskegon and have only seen one flock of snows fly over me at about 100 yds last year and just shot into them cuz they were on a mission and didnt get any but have never even seen any in a field, our wastewater refuge is holding about 5000 geese right now but isnt opening untill the 18th so pretty slow around here untill then.
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 am

I live over by Saginaw Bay. I dont see tons every year, but i see them every season. Seen 4 this year, which is pretty early. I normally dont see them till in November, but i think that nasty weather a week ago is what brought them down. Ive seen a few reports of snows over in the thumb. One comment mentioned a dozen in a flock....Most ive ever seen here is about 50 in the spring time in a corn stubble that had a ton of water laying in it. Also, had countless mallards and canada's in it.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:37 pm

ya i meen im only 17 but for 7 years i have only seen the one flock of 40 last year, Ive shot a lot becaus I travel to iowa,illinois, south dakota, and missouri at least once a year it is a blast. Wish we had them here so i dont have to travel 10 hours.
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm

ive seen 1 loner at fish point before and ive seen about 10 in front of my work over the summer. but i shot one in arkansas last year
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby benellibrother » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:52 pm

We ended up getting 2 snows and 1 spec the other day up here in the eastern U.P. We know a guy who shot a blue as well....strange seeing all of these new birds this year in our flight.
benellibrother
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting