opening weekend stories

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

opening weekend stories

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Although I am in Pennsylvania, I still want to know how the opener(south zone) was back home in the mitten. Heard the weather was pretty warm and winds were still. Friends of mine got a few birds (7 ducks... 3 Reds, 2 mallards, a black, and a bluebill..... and a goose) but that was low for opener. They said not much was flying up on the bay. Anybody have a good shoot or some cool stories ??
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Re: opening weekend stories

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:18 am

It is very slow on the west side of the state. We also had our first real run in with another group of hunters who sat down 45 yards: straight in front of us. Boy that could of turned out a mess if the did not move 15 yards YEAH!!!. Otherwise, we shot two mallards, on black duck, and lost one bird too. We checked around a saw little to nothing for the rest of the weekend.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby moodymallard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am

well saturday the wife and i went and got a limit of geese and two woodies off a small farm pond. Sunday i went up salmon fishing in the am and scooted out for the evening on a small private pond about 12 arces in size. Called in a pair of geese and dropped the lead bird. A while latter his buddy circled back and filled the limit of geese, i sat waiting for ducks, then a single mallard buzzed me and i added him to the pot.... Waited till about fifteen minutes before legal time and dropped a limit of woodies...
moodymallard
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Hunted St Clair Saturday, first shot was 30 min before light, I still had my darn headlamp on :mad:

Shot 4 birds but one got lost in grass so thick you would slap your momma to not have to walk through them. Got my limit of skeeters though :lol3:

It was amusing to tell my buddy to hit a couple clucks on the goose call, then stop and listen for every other 'genius' in the area start going crazy on their calls thinking there are geese around. There was not a second that went by that someone somewhere was not blowing their lungs out on a duck call

Don't ya just love opening day?
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Haha good stories. I'll be honest, I have never had a really good opening day. It's all local birds who are wise to the area and one day hunters who you wont see out there again all season. But it is our obligation as duck hunting fools to be out there for the first day, to shake the cobwebs off if for nothing else. Glad to hear some of you guys got some shooting in, im hoping to get back to michigan for the first week of november and catch some of those flight birds fresh out of canada...
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:48 pm

i shot a deer on the duck opener. way better choice then dealing with all of the fools
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 am

We had a pretty good opening weekend, ended up killing right about 20 wood ducks, a few mallards and 7 geese over the weekend. Mallard numbers were pretty low (per usual this time of year) but wood ducks more than made up for it. One of the best openers we've had in a while. Would have been able to add a couple BWT's to the mix, had a couple dump in on us during our mid-morning nap, but when I stood up to shoot, turns out somebody had emptied my gun for me. The other two guys were laughing so hard they couldn't shoot.
sws002
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

64 or 65 for the weekend. Mallards, Grinners, BWT, GWT, BB, RH, & Geese.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 pm

We had a real good opener. Three of us hunted a small pond public pond where we've limited out on wood ducks in the first 30 minutes this year and last. There's always a good chance for geese in the spot a bit later in the morning, but they surprised us this year and 4 swam into our decoys at first light. Didn't think we'd open the morning by shooting 3 geese. lol. We ended the the first hour with 9 woodies and 5 geese. Waited around until 11 watching woodies land in the dekes, hoping for that sixth honker or some mallards, but we decided to pack it up when the guys that were hunting the other end of the pond decided to do a "duck drive". They were yelling and shooting and trying to push birds down to their buddy. :fingerhead: We even offered to let them sit with us and use our dekes.

It's a great spot for the opener, but I think in the next couple of years, we'll be looking for a new one.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:26 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:64 or 65 for the weekend. Mallards, Grinners, BWT, GWT, BB, RH, & Geese.

How big is your crew ? gotta be about 7 guys..either way, that is a good way to start the season off
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

for 2 days it doesnt need to be at least 7 guys... think about it 2 days. 6 duck limit and 2 geese so thats a possible 8 birds per person per day.
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:54 am

*correction. Minimum 4. If you are limiting out both days on everything.
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:41 pm

My Uncle and I got limit of geese and a couple woodies. Teal are still up in manitoba so hopefully this colder weather will start bringing down the migrators.
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting