hunting close to canada?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

hunting close to canada?

Postby jehler » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 pm

lots of times we hunt real close to canadian waters. My question for anybody who knows, can i launch form the states and hunt say 1/4 mile over past what my gps says is canadian water and come back to the states or is that getting me into trouble?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

hunting close to canada?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:52 am

Risky, as your only plea is ignorance.

Not only hunting in CA waters, but also with their gun laws you could get really jammed up.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

hunting close to canada?

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:06 am

That's what I figured..... It's irritating seeing birds on the wrong side of an imaginary line, I don't look very bright, maybe ignorance would be enough
jehler

Re: hunting close to canada?

Postby dankoustas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 am

A rough idea of what you are looking at:

$150 Passport
$100 Canadian small game license
$20 Canadian waterfowl stamp
$20 gun registration (good for 60 days, so if you hunt the entire season you will need it twice)
$0 gun registration for the states (lifetime)

After spending about $300 you are ready to hunt. Here comes the fun part:

You leave in your boat from the states and enter Canadian waters and go immediately to a call-in station. You tell them your MC number, how long you will be in Canada, etc... and they give you a reference number. Then you go and hunt. Motor on back to Michigan, fill out the proper forms to bring birds back to the states and go to another area to call the United States border/customs. Hopefully they will tell you that you are all set and won't sent anyone to inspect your boat.
All in all, a huge pain.
dankoustas
hunter

hunting close to canada?

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am

I was hoping that there was a gray area, a neutral zone per say that all was good as long as I wasn't within 1/4 mile of shore or something. Does this apply to fishing also?
jehler

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Your talking about illegal crossing into a foriegn country with a firearm! Poof, there goes boat, motor and gun. Prob, only a $1500 fine, not the $5000 felony.

Then your gona cross illegaly back into the US, chk the fines for that!

Don't dare tresspass onto tribal lands, you will loose everything and be fined $10,000! Then they will turn you over to the canucks!!!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

hunting close to canada?

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:12 pm

TopGunMich wrote:Your talking about illegal crossing into a foriegn country with a firearm! Poof, there goes boat, motor and gun. Prob, only a $1500 fine, not the $5000 felony.

Then your gona cross illegaly back into the US, chk the fines for that!

Don't dare tresspass onto tribal lands, you will loose everything and be fined $10,000! Then they will turn you over to the canucks!!!

This can't be accurate?
I used to sail the great lakes, we had a gun in the boat, your telling me every time we crossed the imaginary line in the lake on a tack we were committing a felony? I don't buy it. Taking the boat to shore and heading into the woods yes, not declaring the gun in your trunk when crossing hd bridge yes but cruising the waterways......???
jehler

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Not trying to bust your chops, but things have changed a lot since 9/11! Canada has enacted a lot of laws, regarding gun possesion! Not having a possesion license/ form, mandatory loss of firearm and up to 5yrs in prison! They are supposely changing that law to some extent. I too have sailed the great lakes and that has all changed! You must radio/phone in any crossing. They ticket ppl $500 bucks for anchoring 200yds over in lake st clair now! Flare guns are illegal too! I used to hunt canada 5-10 times a yr, gave up !!

Btw, crossing back into US without chkn in is a violation, esp if u don't declare firearm!

They do chk ppl, don't be suprised to find a helo, boat or unit following you. I have seen it a lot down here!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting